News: Dez To Work With “Route Guru”

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Dez To Work With “Route Guru” dang what a novel idea.

what's next, "Dak to work on accuracy".... dang that Garrett he's finally watched the tapes.

Ten more years and we will be winning two games in the playoffs..

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Great that Dez is really working on routes but I've seen enough tape to know that Dez wasn't that bad of a route runner last year. Dak's ball placement to Dez just wasn't really good on a lot of the incompletions. Dez even did a great job at breaking up some would be interceptions. Not hating on Dak, he struggled last year and I expect him to hopefully bounce back, just saying that Dez is getting more of the blame than necessary.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And in Romo’s last full season and in his first season with Linehan, BOTH Dez and TWill were top 3 WRs in go routes. Dak sucks at throwing outside the hashes, which is why it was his worst routes even during his first season. And why he threw like 6 picks returned for TDs last year basically all outside the hashes.

And our offense goes outside the hashes first and primarily attacks deep, besides being timing based.

So Dak better step up his game in reality..

2017 passes by Dak over 20 yards:

Target Butler 6 of 9

Target Dez 4 of 19

Hayseed

Reaction score
In other breaking news Tyron Smith is supposedly going to try working on this thing called " weight training" . I guess lifting weights is supposed to be able to make you stronger, a better player. Who knew? What will they think of next!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Want to know how to fix a WR who cant run the route tree? The Bench
The media would have a field day. Imagine the TV coverage would be all of Dez pouting on the bench and not the game on the field.

khiladi

Reaction score

Target Butler 6 of 9

Target Dez 4 of 19

Even if those stats are accurate:

1. What does that have to do with the ‘hashes’ and whether Dak is throwing from the pocket or outside the pocket and ‘outside the hashes’ are no longer to the outside of Dak, but right in front of him..

2. What does that have to do with go routes?

3. None of your stats illustrates Dak being among the bottom in QBs among deep passes even thrown, meaning if he threw it deep more to his primary target of which Dez normally is, his numbers to TWill would be even more garbage.

Nobody disputes Dak when he breaks the pocket is pretty good or that TWill is a great WR at breaking off routes to help his QB out. That’s in the latter’s draft profile as well.

As far as a QB though, so was RG3..

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
You just made a half dozen excuses for Dez. Maybe if he caught more passes that were right in his hands a couple of those pick 6's wouldn't have happened.

So all his pick 6s were aimed at Dez... nice try

khiladi

Reaction score
I actually give Bryant some credit.

He has taken some abuse from the likes of Stephen Jones and he does appear to be "trying".

In his case "trying" involves work.

With the front office, "trying" is not exactly the same kind of thing.

I actually empathize more with Bryant now than a month ago or even a few weeks ago.

The only person that doesn’t take abuse on this team is Jason Garrett.. he can absolutely suck and the FO will do nothing but heap praise on him..

Every player is an excuse for Jason for the FO..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So all his pick 6s were aimed at Dez... nice try

You responded to my post: "You just made a half dozen excuses for Dez. Maybe if he caught more passes that were right in his hands a couple of those pick 6's wouldn't have happened."

Sad you can't read. I say a couple (couple means two), which I can actually remember and you register it as ALL. Impressive. Lol.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even if those stats are accurate:

1. What does that have to do with the ‘hashes’ and whether Dak is throwing from the pocket or outside the pocket and ‘outside the hashes’ are no longer to the outside of Dak, but right in front of him..

2. What does that have to do with go routes?

3. None of your stats illustrates Dak being among the bottom in QBs among deep passes even thrown, meaning if he threw it deep more to his primary target of which Dez normally is, his numbers to TWill would be even more garbage.

Nobody disputes Dak when he breaks the pocket is pretty good or that TWill is a great WR at breaking off routes to help his QB out. That’s in the latter’s draft profile as well.

As far as a QB though, so was RG3..

You posted about deep (go) routes.

The stats are for passes that were in the air over 20 yards. Dak was great at hitting Butler on those 20+ yard passes.

If Dak demonstrated the ability to be accurate when Butler was the target, then why would he be inaccurate with Dez as the target.

There could be some possible reasons for the percentage to Dez to be a little lower; however, nothing to explain the extreme differences of 67% to Butler and 21% to Dez.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
shouldn't he have done that lets say 5 or 6 years ago?

He did. There are stories about Dez perfecting his craft every offseason.

I don’t get why the guy is such a lightning rod for negative press. He’s a good, hard working dude. He wants to be great, he just wants the team to win. I don’t get why the dark cloud follows him at all times.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Target Butler 6 of 9

Target Dez 4 of 19
Huge sample size.

I'm sure Dez and Butler got their targets in the same scenarios, under the same coverage and all their passes were equally catchable.

Man this is embarrassing. Even for you.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
There could be some possible reasons for the percentage to Dez to be a little lower; however, nothing to explain the extreme differences of 67% to Butler and 21% to Dez.

LOL wut?

Do you know how easily percentages are skewed in small sample sizes?

Come on dude we all learned fractions in 3rd grade.

khiladi

Reaction score
You responded to my post: "You just made a half dozen excuses for Dez. Maybe if he caught more passes that were right in his hands a couple of those pick 6's wouldn't have happened."

Sad you can't read. I say a couple (couple means two), which I can actually remember and you register it as ALL. Impressive. Lol.

You mean the two that Dak put right into the hands of Aqil Talib..

khiladi

Reaction score
You posted about deep (go) routes.

The stats are for passes that were in the air over 20 yards. Dak was great at hitting Butler on those 20+ yard passes.

If Dak demonstrated the ability to be accurate when Butler was the target, then why would he be inaccurate with Dez as the target.

20 yards does not make a go route.. not does it make from the pocket or outside the hashes from there.. you know the routes Dez primarily runs per the offense..

We already went through this discussion with Butler..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
20 yards does not make a go route.. not does it make from the pocket or outside the hashes from there.. you know the routes Dez primarily runs per the offense..

We already went through this discussion with Butler..

The stats I have are 20+ yards.

The minimum is over 20 yards which means that the average of all passes in that stat group is likely well over 20 yards.

The 20+ yards stats are a great indicator, especially when comparing the QB's throws to two receivers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great that Dez is really working on routes but I've seen enough tape to know that Dez wasn't that bad of a route runner last year. Dak's ball placement to Dez just wasn't really good on a lot of the incompletions. Dez even did a great job at breaking up some would be interceptions. Not hating on Dak, he struggled last year and I expect him to hopefully bounce back, just saying that Dez is getting more of the blame than necessary.
Dak completion rate:
Target Butler 65%
Target TWill 65%
Target Dez 52%

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
From what I heard dez started working on that immediately after the rough season last year. Not after the signing of other wr

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I like Dez as a human being, I've always liked his work ethic as well. My issue with Dez is simple, no bang for the buck. At the end of the day teams win championships in this league because of having an outstanding ratio of good play from a player in comparison to what they paid for it ... bang for the buck.

With Dez, it's been awful since the contract and injury. It's not personal, it's business.