Video: Dez vs Janoris Jenkins

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jenkins is a great player.

Dak is the reason Jenkins didn't get lit up though.
The issue that you're missing is that elite WRs don't see much single coverage. Ask Irvin.

Back in Irvin's day teams would dedicate a CB and Safety to Irvin.

Sometimes teams will use their #2 CB and a Safety on the opponents top WR and will let their top CB play the other side with zero help (i.e. Top CB on #2 WR).

The Giants used their top CB with no help on Dez. That's treating Dez like a #2 WR.

erod

Reaction score
Well then your strength and conditioning coach failed you if talking smack exhausted you by hafltime.

The Cowboys have said aloud that Dez gets himself dehydrated during games because he spends so much emotional energy before games and between plays. He tends to fade in the fourth quarter.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The issue that you're missing is that elite WRs don't see much single coverage. Ask Irvin.

Sometimes teams will use their #2 CB and a Safety on the opponents top WR and will let their top CB play the other side with zero help (i.e. Top CB on #2 WR).

The Giants used their top CB with no help on Dez. That's treating Dez like a #2 WR.
That's not entirely true. Teams with elite CBs will often try 1-on-1 and only adjust if it isn't working. Dak and Dez couldn't make them pay so the Giants never had to adjust. Even so, I bet it wasn't 1-on-1 the whole game.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The Cowboys have said aloud that Dez gets himself dehydrated during games because he spends so much emotional energy before games and between plays. He tends to fade in the fourth quarter.
Dez is dehydrated from talking smack? That's the hill you want to die on?

And actually very few times in Dez's career has dehydration been an issue. You just recall the games where it was. You're literally making things up. Literally.

erod

Reaction score
It's called critical thinking. You should try it.

Whatever you think you mean, I'm not sure.

I'll tell you this, Dez is Dak's 3rd or 4th preference on offense. Romo would throw Dez open in tight coverage, but Dak prefers to stay away from tight coverage altogether. Dez' routes are poor and he gets little separation.

Personally, I'd like to see Dak throw it up for him more because that's what Dez is good at, competing for the ball up high. Dak would rather throw to Witten and Beasley.

Dak completes 70% or more to the other receivers. He completes below 50% on throws to Dez.

erod

Reaction score
Dez is dehydrated from talking smack? That's the hill you want to die on?

And actually very few times in Dez's career has dehydration been an issue. You just recall the games where it was. You're literally making things up. Literally.
No, I'm literally quoting the Cowboys coaches. Literally.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

I'll tell you this, Dez is Dak's 3rd or 4th preference on offense. Romo would throw Dez open in tight coverage, but Dak prefers to stay away from tight coverage altogether. Dez' routes are poor and he gets little separation.

Personally, I'd like to see Dak throw it up for him more because that's what Dez is good at, competing for the ball up high. Dak would rather throw to Witten and Beasley.

Dak completes 70% or more to the other receivers. He completes below 50% on throws to Dez.
How do you explain the two throws over Dez's head when he was in the end zone wide open? Or the play where Janoris tried to bump and Dez put him on the ground and was wide open down the sideline? There was plenty of separation on those.

erod

Reaction score
How do you explain the two throws over Dez's head when he was in the end zone wide open? Or the play where Janoris tried to bump and Dez put him on the ground and was wide open down the sideline? There was plenty of separation on those.

So you think Dez gets consistent separation like elite receivers?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

There is several reasons for Dez being the "3rd option" in our offense.

1. We run the ball.

2. Dak puts a high emphasis on protecting the ball so not only does Witten receive a lot of Targets like he did for Romo but now Cole Beasley is the new Jason Witten. Those are effective and conservative ball protecting plays.

3. Dallas does nothing special with their WR's.. Not TO, not Miles, nobody. We've seen too many good WR's here that disappear because that's just how the offense is designed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I don't think any of the big guys get great separation besides maybe Julio. That was never Calvins biggest strength,

These big guys, like Dez, are great at getting the ball at it's highest point.

Out of all of the bigger NFL WR's I would say Demaryius Thomas is the most legit route runner.

Dez is an elite Catch and Run WR that has never played in an offense that allows him to create with simple pass plays. Just like TO when he was here.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Plenty of separation on his 2 completions on the slant routes (see 2:55 in the video)- hmm maybe we should run more slant routes for him like the "elite" guys get so we can pad his numbers. Or maybe we just get Beasley and Terrance to run them and let Dez go deep....

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
No, I'm literally quoting the Cowboys coaches. Literally.
Provide the quotes that state Dez routinely fades in the 4th and its a problem.

And also just to prove you wrong with irrefutable evidence....in 2015 Dez's best quarter for receiving yards was the 4th quarter. He also had more yards after the half than before it. The 4th was also his most productive for TD receptions. In 2016 his 2nd most productive quarter was the 4th quarter (the 2nd quarter was his most productive quarter that year). Additionally, in 2016 7 of his 8 tds came after the half. 5 of his 8 were in the 4th quarter.

But didn't you say Dez tends to fade in the 4th?

Why you always lying? Or do you just don't care to research any of your opinions? A liar or uninformed? Either way please be better next time.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Dez routinely draws double coverage. Don't pull an Erod.

erod

Reaction score
Provide the quotes that state Dez routinely fades in the 4th and its a problem.

And also just to prove you wrong with irrefutable evidence....in 2015 Dez's best quarter for receiving yards was the 4th quarter. He also had more yards after the half than before it. The 4th was also his most productive for TD receptions. In 2016 his 2nd most productive quarter was the 4th quarter (the 2nd quarter was his most productive quarter that year). Additionally, in 2016 7 of his 8 tds came after the half. 5 of his 8 were in the 4th quarter.

But didn't you say Dez tends to fade in the 4th?

Why you always lying? Or do you just don't care to research any of your opinions? A liar or uninformed? Either way please be better next time.
You're quoting years when he started to get this issue under control. He made a concerted (and instructed, I'm sure) effort to knock off the nonsense before games and between plays. Sunday night, he reverted back to those old ways. Jenkins has locked him down to 4 catches in the past 3 meetings. Dez has to get his mind off of that junk.

As far as the rest of your drivel, it's empty and tired and nobody has an ounce of respect for your persistent tantrums around here.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
You're quoting years when he started to get this issue under control. He made a concerted (and instructed, I'm sure) effort to knock off the nonsense before games and between plays. Sunday night, he reverted back to those old ways. Jenkins has locked him down to 4 catches in the past 3 meetings. Dez has to get his mind off of that junk.

As far as the rest of your drivel, it's empty and tired and nobody has an ounce of respect for your persistent tantrums around here.
The shifting goalposts. You said Dez routinely fades in the 4th quarter. Suddenly, it's oh just not in the last two years. And if you think Dez wasn't talking smack the last two years with some "concerted" effort then you haven't been watching the Cowboys. You're literally just making things up and shifting the goalposts. I love how you try and pass off my stats as "drivel." Don't you hate it when facts get in the way of the point you're trying to make? Well most people do. You seem to just dismiss it as drivel.

But to play your game that Dez was better late in games just recently because he's been working on himself let's look back further (hint: I knew these facts and omitted them on purpose to trap you).

I already gave you his last two seasons. Let's look back further.

In 2014 his most productive quarter by TDs was the 4th.
In 2013 his most productive quarter by yards was the 4th and the 4th was his 2nd most produtive by TDs.
In 2012 his 3rd quarter was his most productive by yards (does not fit fading late narrative) and the 4th quarter was his most productive by TDs.
in 2011 his 4th quarter was his 2nd most productive by yards and TDs.
in 2010 his 4th quarter was his 2nd most productive by yards and most productive by TDs.

Now tell me again that Dez doesn't show up late in games. You're a liar or you're incompetent. I don't mean that as an insult. I'm just laying out the facts.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Jenkins interferes almost every play. It's ridiculous.
He facemasked Dez on the end zone catch. Dak also missed him for a TD. So Dez is right: Jenkins caught some breaks. They should also give Dez more slants.