Did anyone else notice Bradlee Anae?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I seen enough to show me he should have got reps last year

In case people here forgot, he was no slouch coming out of college. He must have had some talent. And he's only 23.

"Anae finished his senior season with 14 starts, 41 tackles, 13.0 sacks, 14.0 tackles for loss and a forced fumble, while being named first-team All-Pac-12, consensus All-American selection, received the Morris Trophy as the best defensive lineman in the Pac-12 and was a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award.[10][11] He also participated in the 2020 Senior Bowl, where he had 3 sacks and received defensive MVP honors."

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Been a big fan since we drafted him last year. Enraged he didn't get more playing time last year. I'd take him over Armstrong.

Looks to me he could be a Jeffcoat type of performer.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
I saw him get so close to a sack behind the LOS only to chase the QB until there was about a 6 yard gain. He's just not impressive to me and IMO, he doesn't belong on this team.
Keep on telling yourself that. The Crow is warming up.

cowboyed

Reaction score
He looked good, in preseason.

It's still just preseason.
But we can't discount pre-season completely. Coaches and management are evaluating the players in pre-season not only for training and conditioning but also to decide which ones they will retain and cut as well.

Also the third game of the pre-season is usually the dress rehearsal for the onset of the regular season.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Anae and Armstrong both had great games. Good to see the young guys get after it… hopefully their confidence is growing and they will build on it

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Anae’s number was never called in 2020. How's the kid supposed to progress?! Hopefully that will change this season.

quickccc

Reaction score
Been a big fan since we drafted him last year. Enraged he didn't get more playing time last year. I'd take him over Armstrong.

Looks to me he could be a Jeffcoat type of performer.

Jeffcoat seems like a fair comparison.
Not blessed with top notch athleticism but has a sheer knack for getting to the QB in a situational role.

quickccc

Reaction score
Anae’s number was never called in 2020. How's the kid supposed to progress?! Hopefully that will change this season.

only six snaps on defense, ..the entire season, ..i believe.
who knows how vastly limited to snaps he had on special teams, ..and the rest was being a regular gameday inactive.
Oh the sheer magic of departed (fired) DL coach Jim Tomsula and DC Mike Nolan.

:banghead:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I felt Anae did a pretty good job out there enough so that he should see a lot more playing time over the course of these next 2 games. How he fairs over the next 2 games will likely determine his fate. Get right down to it all any player can ask for is the opportunity to get out on the field to prove himself and he is getting that now.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
just another reason to not trust this organization's personnel decisions. he was the talk of camp last year & couldn't get on the field even though we desperately needed pass rushers?

hopefully that is changing .... but I need to see a track record of good decisions before I believe in them.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's likely a situational pass rush guy, which is fine because we need all the help we can get rushing the passer.

Sydla

Reaction score
just another reason to not trust this organization's personnel decisions. he was the talk of camp last year & couldn't get on the field even though we desperately needed pass rushers?

hopefully that is changing .... but I need to see a track record of good decisions before I believe in them.

I mean I guess this is possible since Nolan was a tub of goo but it's also possible the guy just took a year to figure out what he was doing out there. That wouldn't be the first time nor will it be the last time that a young player, especially one that was a bit raw like Anae, took time to figure out how to play in this league. And again, let's note it was against backups in that Cards game. Who knows what he looks like when he faces a real starting caliber OT.

He also showed a lack of discipline launching himself into the head area of the QB.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Did he really hit him with the helmet though? On my feed, it appeared he definitely lowered the head but then extended the arms & hit the QB's shoulder pads knocking him down. There appeared to be space between their helmets. Anyone else have a definitive look at it?

Creeper

Reaction score
I am an Anae fan and I want him to succeed as much as any player on this team. However, I think, from what I have seen so far, he has some limitations. Yes, he looks great rushing the passer. Late in the game with the Cowboys leading and the other team needs to throw, Anae could be the guy to come in and make plays on the QB to snuff out any comeback. But, I don't see him doing a great job on running plays. Also, every now and then he has this funny habit of leaving his feet as he is about to make a move on the OT. It's similar to WRs who jump to catch passes even when the pass is not high. It's a bad habit he needs to correct because NFL tackles will wipe him out if he does that.

It is going to be a numbers game. They have Lawrence, Gregory, Basham, Armstrong, ahead of him right now. And they have Golston. They have Carter, Urban and Watkins listed as DEs too, even though I think they will play DT most of the time.