Did Bill just give a hint to the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Notice in his press conference how he said Holmgren and him are almost eye-to-eye on the way they look at the game and players? Said Holmgren, more than anyone, views players like him.

Holmgren has been in Seattle for quite a while. Even with a Super Bowl appearance, ya wonder how much longer he has left.

Jerry probably needs a high profile guy he can respect. He's learned his lesson and will hire the best money can buy. He doesn't do well with the puppet types. Holmgren still wants GM duties. Maybe he's learned his lesson a little and can co-exist with the owner/GM who feels the same way. More insight into personnel, less of the official posturing.

The timing seems perfect, the relationship works, unless Jerry plans on promoting Mike Zimmer from within, Holmgren looks like a good bet.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
As long as it is not Zimmer or Campo, I would be fine with Holmgren. The guy is smart, dedicated, classy and very respected throughout the league.

parchy

Reaction score
Not only will Holmgren not come to the Cowboys, but he will be done with coaching completely here soon. He might finish out his contract with the Seahawks, but even if that happens he'll be out of coaching for good barring a Parcells-like comeback after the fact. There has been so much talk of how disenfranchised he has become with football, especially after that Super Bowl, that starting anew on an entirely different team has to be at the bottom of his list right now.

And I don't know about you, but I hope they bring in a guy who is either young or comes from the college ranks. *cough*Weis*cough*

burmafrd

Reaction score
Unless JJ is willing to pay the $15 million that it would take to buy out Weis's current contract I don't see him coming.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Unless JJ is willing to pay the $15 million that it would take to buy out Weis's current contract I don't see him coming.

Forgive me if I'm uninformed, but I would think that Charlie has a clause in his contract regarding the NFL. Perhaps even certain teams to be frank.

It's not like he leaves ND and the team that hires him pays off his contract.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Charlie Weis probaly isn't leaving for at least 4 years. The man has said himself it's a dream job, and college athletics is a whole different story. There are still coaches in that sport that have been employed for the last 3 decades. I'd love to have Weis as the Cowboys coach, but I don't think he's leaving until he wins a BCS for Notre Dame.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HTownCowboysFan said:
Forgive me if I'm uninformed, but I would think that Charlie has a clause in his contract regarding the NFL. Perhaps even certain teams to be frank.

It's not like he leaves ND and the team that hires him pays off his contract.

Exactly.
No matter the contract, he can just retire, sit out a year, ND gets a new coach, Weiss comes to Dallas under BP as a consultant during his one year retirement. BP retires, Weiss is hired.
Problem solved.
ND complains, but can't do anything about it.

groverat

Reaction score
The man has said himself it's a dream job

That's weird. Usually coaches say "God I hate this job. This program is a pile of crap and I'm ashamed to be associated with it."

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
groverat said:
That's weird. Usually coaches say "God I hate this job. This program is a pile of crap and I'm ashamed to be associated with it."

Sarcasm noted but it's a different story. Saying it is a dream job to take over the Texas Tech Red Raiders ain't exactly the same as saying it's your life's ambition to take over the Fighting Irish, ya dig? Show me one college coach who only spent 2 or 3 years without serious BCS consideration before getting his first NFL head coaching gig.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Actually, the EXTENSION was specifically worded so as to leave NO out for a NFL team- NO TEAM. Sorry guys but that was what ND made sure of and Charlie signed it.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Charlie Weis probaly isn't leaving for at least 4 years. The man has said himself it's a dream job, and college athletics is a whole different story. There are still coaches in that sport that have been employed for the last 3 decades. I'd love to have Weis as the Cowboys coach, but I don't think he's leaving until he wins a BCS for Notre Dame.

with Vince Young gone from UT plus Bush and Leinart gone from SC, I am here by OFFICALLY predicting that Notre Dame will win it all this year.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
torrescatch22 said:
with Vince Young gone from UT plus Bush and Leinart gone from SC, I am here by OFFICALLY predicting that Notre Dame will win it all this year.

Ya got a point. Some of those powerhouses will probably fall off. Not sure if we're in the Barry Switzer Oklahoma days when "we don't rebuild, we reload" is applicable, but Notre Dame certainly has a "fightin' irish chance" with some of the more high profile playmakers missing from last year's BCS matchups.

heavyg

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Why not just promote Zimmer from within?

I am going on record right now saying if Zimmer is promoted to HC of the Cowboys I will NOT WATCH a game during his time as HC. I am not saying I will not be a Cowboys fan. I will always be a Cowboys fan..I will just not watch any games during his stint as coach. :bang2:

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
heavyg said:
I am going on record right now saying if Zimmer is promoted to HC of the Cowboys I will NOT WATCH a game during his time as HC. I am not saying I will not be a Cowboys fan. I will always be a Cowboys fan..I will just not watch any games during his stint as coach. :bang2:

I'll watch 'em, and I'll go to 'em, but I'd rather see a big timer come in after The Tuna -- which is waht I think will happen.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
heavyg said:

Why do most Cowboy fans not favor Zimmer as Parcells' successor? Most Skin fans hope Gregg Williams will take over when Gibbs leaves. Both have done a solid job as their teams defensive coordinators, so why don't you see Zimmer as a good head coach?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
heavyg said:
I am going on record right now saying if Zimmer is promoted to HC of the Cowboys I will NOT WATCH a game during his time as HC.

Just like all the peeps who left when T.O. was signed huh? ...... oh wait they didn't leave? Just still here crying?

:rolleyes:

burmafrd

Reaction score
Zimmer would be another CAMPO. Of course you skins would like that....
wait a minute. Campo only lost his last game to you guys.... he was 5-1.
BP right now is 4-2, after starting out 4-0. BUT unfortunately we cannot make a whole season out of beating up on the skins. Shame.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

Given the domers inability to win bowl games, that could be a long wait for us.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Zimmer would be another CAMPO. Of course you skins would like that....
wait a minute. Campo only lost his last game to you guys.... he was 5-1.
BP right now is 4-2, after starting out 4-0. BUT unfortunately we cannot make a whole season out of beating up on the skins. Shame.

He's 2-2 against us since both of their comebacks and with a real coach in charge of our team. Parcells getting wins against Spurrier is like a bully beating up a runt. It would be the same if Gibbs was coaching against Campo. I'll grant that Parcells is one of the very select coaches (Walsh is the only other I can think of) that can boast a positive lifetime overall record against Gibbs. Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson split dead even each season from 1989-1992.

I know Campo was a disaster, but hasn't Zimmer played a role in grooming a very solid young defense?

I don't know Zimmers personality well, but you don't see him as having the strength to lead a team and garner respect?