Did Bill just give a hint to the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
When the extension was announced in December, the President of ND and Weis both said there were no contingincies for an out. The buyout of the contract was put out as $15 million and no ND official ever contradicted it. Word trickled out that that was indeed the figure a few weeks later. I have since heard that there was a 5 year pause that would require both sides to agree to end the contract- but whether that is true or not is up for debate. So Weis is tied up for at least untill after the 2011 season.
I just googled it and the only figure I could find was $1.5M. Big difference.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
I wish people would forget about Weisses fat ***. What makes you think his dream job is anything but Notre Dame football? ND will pay him well to coach his alma mater, I cant imagine him wanting anything else in life. He has his SB rings, he has anything a coach could want but a few National Championship ring.

maxsports

Reaction score
Charlie Weiss would be a great head coach. I wish there was a link to the story about his contract. I am pretty sure there is a buy out clause. And I do not think there is a time frame.

JUST SAY NO TO ZIMMER EVER BEING OUR HEAD COACH! JUST ANOTHER PUPPET!!!

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I say BP is wrong and ND coach Charlie Wies is more like the older Parcells and he will be our coach......

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'm confident that a genetically altered lab rat would be a better HC candidate than Mo Carthon
And that genetically altered lab rat's name: Bobby Stoops?! Yeah, I guess you could be right.....:D

Bring Back Jimmy J

Reaction score
What about bring Jimmy Johnson back? He has been out of football and I am sure most clubs has forgot about the Hershel Trade!!!!

burmafrd

Reaction score
The 1.5 mill figure was from the FIRST contract. The EXTENSION had the $15 mill figure in it. It was specifically designed to keep Weis at ND and prevent any NFL owner from doing anything about it- though someone as crazy as Snyder would probably do the $15 million thing.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I dont want anyone that Parcells recommends, refers or suggests.

lspain1

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
I dont want anyone that Parcells recommends, refers or suggests.

Ash, you need stop beating around the bush...tell us how you really feel!:)

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Notice in his press conference how he said Holmgren and him are almost eye-to-eye on the way they look at the game and players? Said Holmgren, more than anyone, views players like him.

Holmgren has been in Seattle for quite a while. Even with a Super Bowl appearance, ya wonder how much longer he has left.

Jerry probably needs a high profile guy he can respect. He's learned his lesson and will hire the best money can buy. He doesn't do well with the puppet types. Holmgren still wants GM duties. Maybe he's learned his lesson a little and can co-exist with the owner/GM who feels the same way. More insight into personnel, less of the official posturing.

The timing seems perfect, the relationship works, unless Jerry plans on promoting Mike Zimmer from within, Holmgren looks like a good bet.
This is a bigger reach than Jerry ever pulled in the draft. Parcells mentions that he and Holmgren think alike about personnel and suddenly Holmgren is the next Cowboys HC? Your brain is on overload I'm smelling some Wishful Thinking.

lspain1

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
This is a bigger reach than Jerry ever pulled in the draft. Parcells mentions that he and Holmgren think alike about personnel and suddenly Holmgren is the next Cowboys HC? Your brain is on overload I'm smelling some Wishful Thinking.

As I have stated previously, Jerry Jones and Mike Holmgren have a good relationship already. No one can say whether such a thing would happen or not, but Mike Holmgren coming to coach the Cowboys in two years, IMO, is NOT merely wishful thinking.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JackMagist said:
I'd say there is just as good of a chance that Holmgren is our next HC as anyone right now.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
As I have stated previously, Jerry Jones and Mike Holmgren have a good relationship already. No one can say whether such a thing would happen or not, but Mike Holmgren coming to coach the Cowboys in two years, IMO, is NOT merely wishful thinking.

I think it is definitely wishful thinking.

But there is some smoke there.

It's not just purely fabricated. Unless Jerry is a lot dumber than we think he's gonna realize he can't go back to Dave Campos.

Another proven coach will likely be the guy.

I just hope he doesn't fall into the "Any old coach is a good, proven coach," train of thought. I don't want Schottenheimer, I don't want Denny Green, etc. I want someone who's been a real winner. Holmgren qualifies.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
i just don't see it.

not to mention he would have to be available whenever BP does decide to leave.

not likely, IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Weis would easily be my first choice if it were up to me but a guy I wouldn't mind trying to bring to Dallas is Marvin Lewis. Also, I like Paul Alexander.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Weis would easily be my first choice if it were up to me but a guy I wouldn't mind trying to bring to Dallas is Marvin Lewis. Also, I like Paul Alexander.

I bet he's pretty firmly entrenched in Cincy.

I'd call Miami and throw stuff at them for Nick Saban though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
I bet he's pretty firmly entrenched in Cincy.

I'd call Miami and throw stuff at them for Nick Saban though.

Probably but you figure, he's been there a couple 4 years now. If BP stays a few more seasons, we might be looking at 5 or 6 years on the original contract. I too doubt they'd let him go but I'd take him if I could. I do agree with you thou. Probably very little chance of being able to get him which is why I mention Alexander.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Weis obviously is the first choice, but that's a real longshot and even then it's only possible if Bill stays a MINIMUM of 2 more years.

The Holmgren connection is not near as far-fetched as some of you think. Jerry is close with Holmgren and respects him greatly and Holmgren is already hedging on signing an extension with Seattle.

Jerry may not be the best football guy, but he's smart enough to know he needs to have a short list of coaches ready to call when Bill steps down. I'm sure Holmgren is high on his list and Bill's comments about their similar view of player personnel does add a little intrigue to the discussion. I take it as a very positive comment.

I, for one, think that if Weis stays at ND and Holmgren doesn't sign the extension in Seattle, Holmgren will be the front runner for the job. I know, I know, Holmgren is talking about his family, etc., but I really believe he could have his eye on this job when Bill steps down.

It's now been proven that Jerry can work with high profile HCs based on his great relationship with Parcells.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Weis obviously is the first choice, but that's a real longshot and even then it's only possible if Bill stays a MINIMUM of 2 more years.

The Holmgren connection is not near as far-fetched as some of you think. Jerry is close with Holmgren and respects him greatly and Holmgren is already hedging on signing an extension with Seattle.

Jerry may not be the best football guy, but he's smart enough to know he needs to have a short list of coaches ready to call when Bill steps down. I'm sure Holmgren is high on his list and Bill's comments about their similar view of player personnel does add a little intrigue to the discussion. I take it as a very positive comment.

I, for one, think that if Weis stays at ND and Holmgren doesn't sign the extension in Seattle, Holmgren will be the front runner for the job. I know, I know, Holmgren is talking about his family, etc., but I really believe he could have his eye on this job when Bill steps down.

It's now been proven that Jerry can work with high profile HCs based on his great relationship with Parcells.

Besides, Holmgren will know that unlike his last two stops which have required a significant amount of building, if he came here the Cowboys are a hop skip and a jump away from a Super Bowl.

If he's ego driven and wants another ring with another team to cement his legacy as a Hall of Fame coach -- which is certainly doubtful right now -- then Dallas could be an ideal and easy location for him to achieve that. Not that getting a ring anywhere is easy, but it would certainly be easier than other places.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bill talking to Mike Holmgren and Dallas making him our next coach is a bit of a reach. I heard the interview and did not get any sense that he was hinting at who are next coach will be.