Did Bill just give a hint to the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Stoops will be the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys, it's just simply the way it is. JJ has had his eye on him for several years.

I don't know if I like it, but it is the most likely scenario. I've heard rumors of Mack Brown wanting an NFL gig, but I don't buy it.

groverat

Reaction score
Actually, the EXTENSION was specifically worded so as to leave NO out for a NFL team- NO TEAM. Sorry guys but that was what ND made sure of and Charlie signed it.

Where do you get this information about Weis's contract?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Why do most Cowboy fans not favor Zimmer as Parcells' successor? Most Skin fans hope Gregg Williams will take over when Gibbs leaves. Both have done a solid job as their teams defensive coordinators, so why don't you see Zimmer as a good head coach?
First of all, Gregg Williams is a better HC candidate. IMO.

Zimmer's defenses rarely give up yardage, but they don't generate sacks or turnovers. This is a major flaw in many fan's eyes.

That said, I don't think the organization agrees with the fans at all with regards to Zimmer. He very well may be our next Head Coach.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Bob Stoops will be the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys, it's just simply the way it is. JJ has had his eye on him for several years.

Uh... I highly, highly doubt it.

Stoops is a family man. He says he takes days off to go be with his loved ones all the time. He is much more fit for the college game.

The NFL is just not his style.

I am of the opinion that Weis is the guy we should be wanting long term, and as such we should be wanting Holmgren as our next coach.

Weis is not ready to leave ND nor will he be in the next 2 years or anything. Probably not five years.

If Parcells leaves after this year, I think Holmgren, though younger, will be in a very similar "short timer," situation as we've had with Parcells.

So bring in Homgren for another four year run. Holmgren isn't as good as Parcells but he's an excellent coach and a winner. He knows talent and he knows how to build a team. He's done it twice now.

Holmgren will have that four year window to put us over the top if Parcells hasn't.

By that time he'll probably be ready to retire.

At that time Weis may be more receptive. He'll be receptive to overtures by that point.

Holmgren to keep the seat warm. Then get Weis for the long haul.... 10 + years.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
Uh... I highly, highly doubt it.

Stoops is a family man. He says he takes days off to go be with his loved ones all the time. He is much more fit for the college game.

The NFL is just not his style.

I am of the opinion that Weis is the guy we should be wanting long term, and as such we should be wanting Holmgren as our next coach.

Weis is not ready to leave ND nor will he be in the next 2 years or anything. Probably not five years.

If Parcells leaves after this year, I think Holmgren, though younger, will be in a very similar "short timer," situation as we've had with Parcells.

So bring in Homgren for another four year run. Holmgren isn't as good as Parcells but he's an excellent coach and a winner. He knows talent and he knows how to build a team. He's done it twice now.

Holmgren will have that four year window to put us over the top if Parcells hasn't.

By that time he'll probably be ready to retire.

At that time Weis may be more receptive. He'll be receptive to overtures by that point.

Holmgren to keep the seat warm. Then get Weis for the long haul.... 10 + years.

Blah, blah, blah.....It's always easy to say that when there isnt NFL money on the table

mschmidt64

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Blah, blah, blah.....It's always easy to say that when there isnt NFL money on the table

I don't think I'd even want him.

He may be tempted by the cash but I want a guy who loves the game.

I'm not saying Stoops doesn't but he's clearly demonstrated that he doesn't work like Parcells does. He is fairly layed back just like the last Oklahoma coach we had (Switzer).

I'll pass.

Holmgren is a quality coach who has proven he can take teams to the Super Bowl and win, has a good relationship with Jerry, is probably getting ready to leave Seattle, and would only be a short termer here likely.

Added up that makes him a key candidate to replace Parcells and a great option if our larger scheme is to land mini-Parcells for the long term.

Which Weis is. He even told Fasano, "You aren't really getting a new coach there in Dallas, you're just getting an older me. He does everything the same way I do."

IMO he is the guy we need. But we can't get him now, he won't leave ND.

So make it Holmgren in the meantime.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
parch said:
And I don't know about you, but I hope they bring in a guy who is either young or comes from the college ranks. *cough*Weis*cough*

I couldn't agree more.

Gordon

Reaction score
groverat said:
That's weird. Usually coaches say "God I hate this job. This program is a pile of crap and I'm ashamed to be associated with it."

Actually, he said it before he even became the coach of ND. He said his dream jobs were coaching for his alma mater ND or for the New York Giants.

Keep trying to convince yourselves that Weis will drop everything and leave ND when Parcells retires, but it's not happening.

lspain1

Reaction score
I think there is a good chance Mike Holmgren could become coach of the Cowboys. According to Jerry's own words, Jerry and Mike developed an excellent relationship on the NFL competition committee and I think Jerry would pay the money to get him to Dallas.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
parchy said:
I hope they bring in a guy who is either young or comes from the college ranks. *cough*Weis*cough*

I think there's a bug going around. That Weis cough is contagious. lol:ralph:

burmafrd

Reaction score
When the extension was announced in December, the President of ND and Weis both said there were no contingincies for an out. The buyout of the contract was put out as $15 million and no ND official ever contradicted it. Word trickled out that that was indeed the figure a few weeks later. I have since heard that there was a 5 year pause that would require both sides to agree to end the contract- but whether that is true or not is up for debate. So Weis is tied up for at least untill after the 2011 season.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
When the extension was announced in December, the President of ND and Weis both said there were no contingincies for an out. The buyout of the contract was put out as $15 million and no ND official ever contradicted it. Word trickled out that that was indeed the figure a few weeks later. I have since heard that there was a 5 year pause that would require both sides to agree to end the contract- but whether that is true or not is up for debate. So Weis is tied up for at least untill after the 2011 season.

So... Holmgren till 2011 then.

proline

Reaction score
If Holmgren can't manage the clock any better than he did at the ends of both halves in the superbowl, I wouldn't want him. That was an embarrassing piece of work, and he took a big step downward in my own estimation of him.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
says a Commanders fan trying to stir the pot.

lol actually I was genuinely curious. Because unless our DC tells us otherwise, he basically knows he will get the job after Gibbs if he so chooses.

To me its a relief not having to bring in an outsider, because lately bringing in outsiders have brought nothing but grief to the Skins.

I know Dallas fans have different experiences in terms of bringing in outsiders (Johnson, to a lesser extent Switzer) then promoting from within the organization.