Did Dak Regress?

SoBlue128

Reaction score
Idk that regressed is the right word but he had a really good set of circumstances last year that aren’t there this year. I don’t want to say exposed either but your seeing what he is right now without the perfect set of circumstances around him. Right now I would say Dak is an above average game manager at best. He seems like a real student of the game and a natural leader that will work as hard as possible to get better at his craft. Is that going to be enough none of us know and we won’t for a couple of years.

Sepia

Reaction score
He had a three game run where he was under a ton of pressure. He didn't play as well as a result. Is that regression? I don't think so. Rookie Dak would have looked like poo in an 8 sack game, too.

Yeah, the sophomore slump discussion didn't start until the Atlanta game. Before that, he had a decent QBR, and was on pace for a nice TD/INT ratio. No one was talking about there being no zip on his passes, or sloppy footwork, or missing open receivers like they did last year. Since ATL and a bunch of sacks/hits, he hasn't played well.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, the sophomore slump discussion didn't start until the Atlanta game. Before that, he had a decent QBR, and was on pace for a nice TD/INT ratio. No one was talking about there being no zip on his passes, or sloppy footwork, or missing open receivers like they did last year. Since ATL and a bunch of sacks/hits, he hasn't played well.

He played better v. WAS. Not a lot of passes or yards, but some impactful throws and a solid rating.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Idk that regressed is the right word but he had a really good set of circumstances last year that aren’t there this year. I don’t want to say exposed either but your seeing what he is right now without the perfect set of circumstances around him. Right now I would say Dak is an above average game manager at best. He seems like a real student of the game and a natural leader that will work as hard as possible to get better at his craft. Is that going to be enough none of us know and we won’t for a couple of years.
game manager ok then

dwreck27

Reaction score
Tyron being out and having a guy in Chaz who single handily lost us the falcons game on top of dak getting happy feet and rushing up his throws missing guys

On top of a group of WRs who don’t give dak a bunch of help

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Tyron being out and having a guy in Chaz who single handily lost us the falcons game on top of dak getting happy feet and rushing up his throws missing guys

On top of a group of WRs who don’t give dak a bunch of help
When Dak was great last year nobody blamed the WRs (or credited them much).

This year Dak has taken a step back and suddenly it's Tyron's fault and Chaz's fault and the WR's fault.

What does that say about our franchise QB?

Sepia

Reaction score
When Dak was great last year nobody blamed the WRs (or credited them much).

This year Dak has taken a step back and suddenly it's Tyron's fault and Chaz's fault and the WR's fault.

What does that say about our franchise QB?

I must have imagined everyone crediting the oline, Zeke, and Pro Bowl receivers for much of his success last year.

rwalters31

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. Even last year you could see his passing technique was not good but good enough for the situation he was in. Now all can see that he needs work on his mechanics and reads. This is why I have been calling for the best QB coach we can get in the off season plus coaches to provide schemes and players to fit Dak.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Well all you have to do to answer you own question is look at the headlines.

OL was gonna have 2 new starters that took a few weeks into the season to get settled.
You have a group of bad route running WRs.
The biggest headline was Elliots on again off again suspension

The whole team started slow, DEF you have a suspension and injuries, and the offense had adjustments.

It took a few weeks like i said but when it started clicking we saw what we saw in 2016. NO coincidence the offense started going when Elliot and the OL found their stride. The same things happened when Emmitt was out of the lineup aswell.

But just look at Elliots last 4 games because he found his groove starting with that GB game. And with his groove the offense started coming alive.

Last 4 games before sus
126 yrds a game

Daks avgs
219 yrds a game passing 27 yrds rushing 8td 1nt

Thats right in the 4 games that the Dallas offense started looking cohesive Dak threw for 8tds and only had 1 int.

Some people will say look at Daks game vs Washington with a running game without Elliot.

First thing he played alot of the game with a swollen hand.
Second he threw for only 143 against washington a few weeks before with Elliot.

Some teams just know this team and its in the NFCE. If you pay attention and notice Dallas while playing against divison teams they always try and take away the pass, and make Dallas win with the run. And in the last 12 games, 11 competitive minus last reg game in 2016 vs eagles, Only 3 times have teams from the NFCE been able to stop it. And if you want to dig deeper, the Eagles didnt really stop the run this yr, as Dallas ran for 122 yrds.

So you tell me do you think he has regressed? Or has this team had alot of other things that have happened that have influenced the team rather than having a QB who has "regressed"?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Well all you have to do to answer you own question is look at the headlines.

OL was gonna have 2 new starters that took a few weeks into the season to get settled.
You have a group of bad route running WRs.
The biggest headline was Elliots on again off again suspension

The whole team started slow, DEF you have a suspension and injuries, and the offense had adjustments.

It took a few weeks like i said but when it started clicking we saw what we saw in 2016. NO coincidence the offense started going when Elliot and the OL found their stride. The same things happened when Emmitt was out of the lineup aswell.

But just look at Elliots last 4 games because he found his groove starting with that GB game. And with his groove the offense started coming alive.

Last 4 games before sus
126 yrds a game

Daks avgs
219 yrds a game passing 27 yrds rushing 8td 1nt

Thats right in the 4 games that the Dallas offense started looking cohesive Dak threw for 8tds and only had 1 int.

Some people will say look at Daks game vs Washington with a running game without Elliot.

First thing he played alot of the game with a swollen hand.
Second he threw for only 143 against washington a few weeks before with Elliot.

Some teams just know this team and its in the NFCE. If you pay attention and notice Dallas while playing against divison teams they always try and take away the pass, and make Dallas win with the run. And in the last 12 games, 11 competitive minus last reg game in 2016 vs eagles, Only 3 times have teams from the NFCE been able to stop it. And if you want to dig deeper, the Eagles didnt really stop the run this yr, as Dallas ran for 122 yrds.

So you tell me do you think he has regressed? Or has this team had alot of other things that have happened that have influenced the team rather than having a QB who has "regressed"?
:clap::clap::clap:

vaturkey

Reaction score
I think just watching how Romo did things made Dak a better QB. Since Romo still lives in Dallas, it would be nice if they did some talking about things during the offseason. Hell, Jerry can pay Romo whatever consulting fee he wants. It would be worth it.

Hardline

Reaction score
His in the pocket accuracy must get better. That' on him. Can't blame circumstances on that.
He is not so enriched as the starter for me not to consider drafting another QB in the early rounds if one is available.