Did Dak Regress?

sean10mm

Reaction score
Wilson didn't go to the Super Bowl as a rookie, it was his 2nd season. Of course that team allowed the fewest points and yards of any defense in football, and generated the most turnovers on defense, and had an elite run game. This Cowboys team in Dak's second season...uh...has none of those things.

I don't think most fans know what being a good QB even means. Dak has league average efficiency stats and everyone is acting like the Cowboys are back to starting Ryan Leaf or something. It's just hilariously dumb.

Like how many wins does Tom Brady have where he took 8 sacks? Or any current/future Hall of Famer?

Dak's passer rating this season is basically the same as Brady's passer rating the one season he had to throw passes to Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson. If the best passer of this generation has his stats tank when his supporting cast goes to crap, what are realistic expectations for Dak in his second season with Zeke out and Dez having the catch % of a pile of rocks?

Yeah.

edit to add: It's not that Dak doesn't have room for improvement (he does, it's his second season), it's that most of the criticism of him has no connection to reality.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He had a three game run where he was under a ton of pressure. He didn't play as well as a result. Is that regression? I don't think so. Rookie Dak would have looked like poo in an 8 sack game, too.

I think the 8 sack game really hurt his confidence in the process. He's been bad for more than the last 3 games. He has had 6 sub 200 yard passing games, and no games over 300. This is the modern NFL, it isn't 1992. He's only thrown 2 TDs in the last 4 games. That is a quarter of a season. He has had accuracy issues as of late, and doesn't look comfortable. I am really concerned at this point.

Sepia

Reaction score
I don’t believe he has regressed but I also don’t believe he has improved much since being drafted. The knocks on him now are the same knocks that were against him when he was coming out of college. He looks the same as he did last season. The supporting cast is not as good and he isn’t good enough right now to elevate the players around him.

But that's only been since line play regressed and he has been under more pressure. Before Atlanta, there were not many comments about poor mechanics, sloppy footwork, etc. just the opposite. Many noticed his passes had more zip. I specifically remember noting that people were no longer saying he missed a lot of downfield receivers like last year. That all changed after getting sacked 8 times in Atlanta, and more sacks and bad games thereafter. He regressed and went back to poor mechanics when his protection wasn't as sound.

I think once he starts to trust the line more if they keep playing better, he will get back to himself. We'll see.

I also think people are comparing him to Goff and Wentz, forgetting that they only made such noticeable improvement after not being very good last year. Dak was already good last year, but he's still being expected to make just as far jump as the other two made.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I must have imagined everyone crediting the oline, Zeke, and Pro Bowl receivers for much of his success last year.

Those were the people who were being consistent and not making excuses for him now.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
He bought into his own hype that he was a franchise QB. He's finding out this year that he's not and he really should hand over his rookie of the year award to his running back. The real elite talent.

He's a game manager and that's all he ever will be. Anyone who wants to settle for that as the future at QB for the Dallas Cowboys is an insufferable homer who would accept anything the team gives them.
Thank. You

We wont win anything with him unless we have an elite defense and elite skill players around him. With this front office, im not holding my breath for either

Sepia

Reaction score
I think the 8 sack game really hurt his confidence in the process. He's been bad for more than the last 3 games. He has had 6 sub 200 yard passing games, and no games over 300. This is the modern NFL, it isn't 1992. He's only thrown 2 TDs in the last 4 games. That is a quarter of a season. He has had accuracy issues as of late, and doesn't look comfortable. I am really concerned at this point.

But wasn't he scoring 3 TDs a game for a few games? He was on a trajectory to have way more passing TDs this season, up until Atlanta. He had 16 by then, 4 INTs. We run enough so that passing yards aren't as big a deal. I do agree with you that he is shell-shocked, though. Hopefully, he shakes it off.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
It has something to do with coaching too. I think Romo being on the sidelines guiding him through the season helped him a lot. None of the coaches we have now can come close to that this season. He's basically alone now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That’s fair to say he was shaken. He definitely played poorly prior to the WAS a game.

I don’t worry much about the yardage. But I do worry about the decision making. He mad some bad throws and some uncharacteristicslly bad decisions during the slump. But as we said, his protection was bad and the team had been made one-dimensional by halftime each week. That’s how QBs all look when that happens.

The WAS game was a lot better though. Even without the yardage. More than the TD throws, too. That 3rd down completion to Terrence with Norman in coverage was a big time throw, for example.

waldoputty

Reaction score
how did romo looked in 2013-2014 - i cannot even remember.
that was before the running game took off...

dallasdave

Reaction score
development is expected. brady did not play in his rookie year.

the best comp for dak may be russell wilson. i view dak being tougher, slower and somewhat more advanced as a passer. how many years did wilson take to fully develop? i think he was in the superbowl as a rookie. however, i remember that the team had to plan their game around his passing limitations...
He played a lot since then :flagwave:

dallasdave

Reaction score
Dan is not a great QB, he needs a supporting cast. Can he become a great QB? That remains to be seen. In the meantime a healthy OL, Zeke and hopefully the addition of at least one more receiving threat is needed for him to drive the bus.
I think this stretch will be a great learning experience for him. The way he reacts will define his future.
Dan who ?????