Did Dak Regress?

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I don’t believe he has regressed but I also don’t believe he has improved much since being drafted. The knocks on him now are the same knocks that were against him when he was coming out of college. He looks the same as he did last season. The supporting cast is not as good and he isn’t good enough right now to elevate the players around him.

morasp

Reaction score
Did Wentz in a lifetime regress against the Seahawks? No QB can do it all. When the Broncos beat the Patriots in the playoffs a couple years ago Brady looked worse than Dak.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Yeah, the sophomore slump discussion didn't start until the Atlanta game. Before that, he had a decent QBR, and was on pace for a nice TD/INT ratio. No one was talking about there being no zip on his passes, or sloppy footwork, or missing open receivers like they did last year. Since ATL and a bunch of sacks/hits, he hasn't played well.

I talked about it vs the Rams/Packers. He was missing deep intermediate balls then also that were open.

It seems he gets afraid to step up in the pocket. I remember crossing routes he was bouncing because he wouldn’t stay in there and wait an extra half second.

It would be one thing if he was like McNabb early in his career and run but he won’t even do that very often unless it’s a called read option. He’s left a lot of 5-6 yard gains on the table by not scrambling when he has the opportunity.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He bought into his own hype that he was a franchise QB. He's finding out this year that he's not and he really should hand over his rookie of the year award to his running back. The real elite talent.

He's a game manager and that's all he ever will be. Anyone who wants to settle for that as the future at QB for the Dallas Cowboys is an insufferable homer who would accept anything the team gives them.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No ........ a few bad games does not mean regression. Rogers had some bad games last year ........ so does every other QB.

A second year QB that has only had 4 "bad" games is a blessing ........ not a detriment.

Section446

Reaction score
No ........ a few bad games does not mean regression. Rogers had some bad games last year ........ so does every other QB.

A second year QB that has only had 4 "bad" games is a blessing ........ not a detriment.
It's not a "few bad games", he's had a total of two acceptable games this year, he's been bad.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did Dak get worse, or is the problem the OL or the WRs?

Dan is not a great QB, he needs a supporting cast. Can he become a great QB? That remains to be seen. In the meantime a healthy OL, Zeke and hopefully the addition of at least one more receiving threat is needed for him to drive the bus.
I think this stretch will be a great learning experience for him. The way he reacts will define his future.

black label

Reaction score
He bought into his own hype that he was a franchise QB. He's finding out this year that he's not and he really should hand over his rookie of the year award to his running back. The real elite talent.

He's a game manager and that's all he ever will be. Anyone who wants to settle for that as the future at QB for the Dallas Cowboys is an insufferable homer who would accept anything the team gives them.
TiredDamagedHoneybee-max-1mb.gif

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well all you have to do to answer you own question is look at the headlines.

OL was gonna have 2 new starters that took a few weeks into the season to get settled.
You have a group of bad route running WRs.
The biggest headline was Elliots on again off again suspension

The whole team started slow, DEF you have a suspension and injuries, and the offense had adjustments.

It took a few weeks like i said but when it started clicking we saw what we saw in 2016. NO coincidence the offense started going when Elliot and the OL found their stride. The same things happened when Emmitt was out of the lineup aswell.

But just look at Elliots last 4 games because he found his groove starting with that GB game. And with his groove the offense started coming alive.

Last 4 games before sus
126 yrds a game

Daks avgs
219 yrds a game passing 27 yrds rushing 8td 1nt

Thats right in the 4 games that the Dallas offense started looking cohesive Dak threw for 8tds and only had 1 int.

Some people will say look at Daks game vs Washington with a running game without Elliot.

First thing he played alot of the game with a swollen hand.
Second he threw for only 143 against washington a few weeks before with Elliot.

Some teams just know this team and its in the NFCE. If you pay attention and notice Dallas while playing against divison teams they always try and take away the pass, and make Dallas win with the run. And in the last 12 games, 11 competitive minus last reg game in 2016 vs eagles, Only 3 times have teams from the NFCE been able to stop it. And if you want to dig deeper, the Eagles didnt really stop the run this yr, as Dallas ran for 122 yrds.

So you tell me do you think he has regressed? Or has this team had alot of other things that have happened that have influenced the team rather than having a QB who has "regressed"?

:hammer::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score

Post of the year

Zman5

Reaction score
When Dak was great last year nobody blamed the WRs (or credited them much).

This year Dak has taken a step back and suddenly it's Tyron's fault and Chaz's fault and the WR's fault.

What does that say about our franchise QB?

It says he plays for a incompetent HC. A coach that can't scheme other receivers open once the opposing defenses took away the QB's favorites targets away from last year and the starting RB was suspended.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I don’t believe he has regressed but I also don’t believe he has improved much since being drafted. The knocks on him now are the same knocks that were against him when he was coming out of college. He looks the same as he did last season. The supporting cast is not as good and he isn’t good enough right now to elevate the players around him.
THIS

waldoputty

Reaction score
Dan is not a great QB, he needs a supporting cast. Can he become a great QB? That remains to be seen. In the meantime a healthy OL, Zeke and hopefully the addition of at least one more receiving threat is needed for him to drive the bus.
I think this stretch will be a great learning experience for him. The way he reacts will define his future.

development is expected. brady did not play in his rookie year.

the best comp for dak may be russell wilson. i view dak being tougher, slower and somewhat more advanced as a passer. how many years did wilson take to fully develop? i think he was in the superbowl as a rookie. however, i remember that the team had to plan their game around his passing limitations...