Did Jarwin block Bobby Wagner in the back on Dak's 3rd and 14 run?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
at least the discussions have taken on more of an air of civility. :):):)

Seems to happen as the next game approaches. Wishing I could fly out to LA, but after going to Dallas last weekend, I don't want to spend another weekend away from my daughter.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I didn't passionately break it down. This is where the shared delusion you guys suffer from comes in. I make a simple comment that it wasn't a great play and a bunch of you feel the need to defend him like he's your girlfriend.

Any salt is a response to you worshipers.

And I didn't say you said I was on drugs. I said "people."

I'm not defending him, I'm laughing at the ridiculousness of saying the play wasn't great like the guy didn't just QB your team to a playoff victory.

It's just plain stupidity.

Even if he ran in a straight line with no one in sight, who flippin' cares if it was a great play or not - YOUR TEAM WON.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude...in the context I used it, the very definition of "poor effort" is a "poor result." The best approach and how hard they are trying is the other definition. There may have been no lack of trying, and he may have set up properly, but in the end, he made a poor play. That poor result = poor effort. He screwed up.

If you aren't talking about approach or effort, then you are just making up a definition of "poor effort" that has no basis in language. You can't just make words mean what you want them to in order to cling to an argument. "Result" and "effort" are not interchangeable words. If a person takes the right approach to getting to the ball carrier, and exerts the necessary effort, then that is all the effort there is to give, and if he fails to make the play the effort wasn't poor, just the result was.

Again, you are ignoring the fact the outcome of a play isn't 100% dependent on the tackler, and are treating it as if it doesn't matter what any other player does or how the action transpires, a poor result can only equate to a lack of effort. In the real world, there are other variables that the tackler either cannot control or has minimal ability to control The runner changing direction and speed, for example, or how the blocking shapes up, or the reaction time which can be based on a number of factors, etc ... The reality is there is a lot that goes into the result of a play on the football field than what goes on with a single defender, and all things cannot be controlled by that single defender.

By your definition, unless a defender is unblocked and takes the perfect angle with the vision of someone who has the benefit of hindsight, and makes the perfect execution with no other variable coming into play, then the effort was poor, because your definition is simply that poor result and poor execution are synonymous, and that no other factor or variable that could play a part. Frankly, that's just making up your own definition that fits nowhere else except in your mind.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I'm not defending him, I'm laughing at the ridiculousness of saying the play wasn't great like the guy didn't just QB your team to a playoff victory.

It's just plain stupidity.

Even if he ran in a straight line with no one in sight, who flippin' cares if it was a great play or not - YOUR TEAM WON.
Yes, my team, not QB. Which your "QB'd your team to a winv comment shows me you favor the player over team concept. Talk about an idea that embodies stupidity.

There are other far more impressive plays by him if you feel the need to worship.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If you aren't talking about approach or effort, then you are just making up a definition of "poor effort" that has no basis in language. You can't just make words mean what you want them to in order to cling to an argument. "Result" and "effort" are not interchangeable words. If a person takes the right approach to getting to the ball carrier, and exerts the necessary effort, then that is all the effort there is to give, and if he fails to make the play the effort wasn't poor, just the result was.

Again, you are ignoring the fact the outcome of a play isn't 100% dependent on the tackler, and are treating it as if it doesn't matter what any other player does or how the action transpires, a poor result can only equate to a lack of effort. In the real world, there are other variables that the tackler either cannot control or has minimal ability to control The runner changing direction and speed, for example, or how the blocking shapes up, or the reaction time which can be based on a number of factors, etc ... The reality is there is a lot that goes into the result of a play on the football field than what goes on with a single defender, and all things cannot be controlled by that single defender.

By your definition, unless a defender is unblocked and takes the perfect angle with the vision of someone who has the benefit of hindsight, and makes the perfect execution with no other variable coming into play, then the effort was poor. Frankly, that's just making up your own definition that fits nowhere else except in your mind.

You may want to consult the dictionary.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You may want to consult the dictionary.

Here it is below, as if anyone with a functional understanding of the language needs it. The definitions are not the same, nor the same thing in different words. The reality is a failed effort is not necessarily a poor effort, and a good effort does not always result in the desired result. It's idiotic to argue against that.

According to Merriam-Webster.
Definition of effort

1 : conscious exertion of power : hard work a job requiring time and effort

2 : a serious attempt : try making an effort to reduce costs

3 : something produced by exertion or trying the novel was her most ambitious effort

4 : effective force as distinguished from the possible resistance called into action by such a force

5 : the total work done to achieve a particular end the war effort

Definition of result
verb
re·sult | \ri-ˈzəlt \
resulted; resulting; results
Definition of result
(Entry 1 of 2)

intransitive verb

1a : to proceed or arise as a consequence, effect, or conclusion death resulted from the disease

b : to have an issue or result the disease resulted in death

2 : revert sense 2

result

noun
Definition of result (Entry 2 of 2)

1 : something that results as a consequence, issue, or conclusion also : beneficial or tangible effect : fruit

2 : something obtained by calculation or investigation

Last edited:

JMech

Reaction score
How in Blue Blazes has this thread about a supposed block in the back gone on for so long? I cannot bring myself to reading one page of this let alone a dozen. You guys bored???

mmohican29

Reaction score
How in Blue Blazes has this thread about a supposed block in the back gone on for so long? I cannot bring myself to reading one page of this let alone a dozen. You guys bored???

I'd like to congratulate the OP for creating a thread so inane and troll lathering, it could not be ignored by so many. What a horrible example of a Cowboys "fan" to decide to piece this bull**** together enough to have it looked at so many times, by so many despite the fecal matter which it reeked of in the thread title.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Here it is below, as if anyone with a functional understanding of the language needs it. The definitions are not the same, nor the same thing in different words. The reality is a failed effort is not necessarily a poor effort, and a good effort does not always result in the desired result. It's idiotic to argue against that.

According to Merriam-Webster.
Definition of effort

1 : conscious exertion of power : hard work a job requiring time and effort

2 : a serious attempt : try making an effort to reduce costs

3 : something produced by exertion or trying the novel was her most ambitious effort

4 : effective force as distinguished from the possible resistance called into action by such a force

5 : the total work done to achieve a particular end the war effort

Definition of result
verb
re·sult | \ri-ˈzəlt \
resulted; resulting; results
Definition of result
(Entry 1 of 2)

intransitive verb

1a : to proceed or arise as a consequence, effect, or conclusion death resulted from the disease

b : to have an issue or result the disease resulted in death

2 : revert sense 2

result

noun
Definition of result (Entry 2 of 2)

1 : something that results as a consequence, issue, or conclusion also : beneficial or tangible effect : fruit

2 : something obtained by calculation or investigation

Now combine the 3rd one from effort to the 2nd noun one from result.

Or:

ef·fort
/ˈefərt/
noun
  1. a vigorous or determined attempt.
    "hammer birdhouses to country fenceposts in an effort to bring back the eastern bluebird"
    synonyms: attempt, try, endeavor; More
    • the result of an attempt.
      "he was a keen gardener, winning many prizes for his efforts"
      synonyms: achievement, accomplishment, performance, attainment, result, feat, deed, exploit, undertaking, enterprise;
Note the formatting did not paste properly on that.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
I'd like to congratulate the OP for creating a thread so inane and troll lathering, it could not be ignored by so many. What a horrible example of a Cowboys "fan" to decide to piece this bull**** together enough to have it looked at so many times, by so many despite the fecal matter which it reeked of in the thread title.

Thanks!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't buy into Wagner just giving a poor effort in contradiction to his entire career in the NFL, so, again, we will have to agree to disagree. Being close does not mean being in perfect position, and having the opportunity doesn't mean that conditions won't change, even subtly, that prevent the opportunity from being realized.
I didn't see a poor effort, but it did appear to me that he let up a bit because of his teammate coming from the other direction, possibly combined with a slight shove backward by Jarwin. As for Dak's change of direction, it looked to me to move his intersecting with Wagner only a matter of maybe a foot and a half at most. If you want to argue that that difference was enough to cause Wagner to avoid the imminent collision with his teammate, I could see that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are you using the wrong meaning of effort? It appears you are trying to use the meaning referencing how much exertion was used, and not the meaning speaking of the result.

Poor effort in this context does not mean a lack of exertion or trying.
Poor effort in this context does mean a poor result.

Again, reading.
Perhaps substitute the word "effort" with "attempt"?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
He did. Calls are usually missed for both teams unless you're the stealers in their last 2 sbs they won. Obvious calls went their way. Obvious non calls went their way. Unbelievable

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now combine the 3rd one from effort to the 2nd noun one from result.

Or:

Note the formatting did not paste properly on that.

Something “produced” is not the same as something “obtained”. Just as effort and result are not synonyms, neither are “produced” and “obtained”. And, in any case, nowhere doo the definitions indicated that “producing” the effort is synonomous with “obtaining” the desired result. Effort is the attempt, and the result is the outcome, which is not guaranteed simply because the attempt was made.