Did Malik Hooker start over Kazee?

JBond

Reaction score
The WFT o-line is banged up, so I don't expect 5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles every week, but man it was nice to see the gang back together. A real confidence boost for them and the fans. This could be a scary good Defense as we roll into the playoffs. We have playmakers and depth.

Get the offense healed up and no one scares me. Some thought we peaked early. What I am seeing is each side of the ball taking care of the other. If it all comes together at the right time... look out NFL.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
They talked about this in game on the broadcast, and if he can add "shut down" to his arsenal he will be lethal

Does he have the speed to be that shut down corner? I know he ran a 4.42 at the combine which is slightly slower than what Darelle Revis ran (4.38) who was a shut down guy.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
We seem to rotate our safeties a lot. I think safety is definitely one of our bigger needs going into the off-season especially since Hooker will likely not be here next year. I haven't been impressed with Kazee at all. He just seems like he is out there, not really contributing much of anything except mistakes. I know he had the INT against NO but it's not like he made a play on the ball, it was more of the Jeff Heath special. Right place at the right time and the ball just comes to you. The plays that stick out is Hill jumping over him and whatever it was he did in NE when he missed that tackle on the long TD pass that a lot of people were blaming Diggs for.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Does he have the speed to be that shut down corner? I know he ran a 4.42 at the combine which is slightly slower than what Darelle Revis ran (4.38) who was a shut down guy.
I think with his height, and hands this may make up for any shut down speed. He looked great yesterday on TM

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I think with his height, and hands this may make up for any shut down speed. He looked great yesterday on TM

He has had his 'off' moments but many do. He has played very well this season and I respect the play without the 'cockiness' that is seen in many corners. He just goes out there and let's his play do the talking, much like Parsons has been doing.
Dallas has themselves 2 great young players and here's hoping they can find a pairing for both Diggs and Parsons as just adding 2 players to partner with them would bring this defense to the upper echelon level.
Sucks that Cox got injured as I was hoping to see what he could do and many thought Joseph was a steal in the 2nd round but he just hasn't been on the field enough to show much (14 defensive snaps all season) except on special teams.

With Anthony Brown being a possible cap casualty next season ($6.5M cap hit versus $5M saved if released) and Jourdan Lewis being possibly out the door after next season ($6.1M cap hit in 2023 versus $5M saved if released) Dallas needs to find a quality #2 CB and nickel CB (perhaps Joseph can step into that slot CB role with a quality off-season).

quickccc

Reaction score
We seem to rotate our safeties a lot. I think safety is definitely one of our bigger needs going into the off-season especially since Hooker will likely not be here next year. I haven't been impressed with Kazee at all.

He just seems like he is out there, not really contributing much of anything except mistakes. I know he had the INT against NO but it's not like he made a play on the ball, it was more of the Jeff Heath special.

Right place at the right time and the ball just comes to you. The plays that stick out is Hill jumping over him and whatever it was he did in NE when he missed that tackle on the long TD pass that a lot of people were blaming Diggs for.

- I dunno if safety will ever be a big investment so long as Stephen Jones is around.
Somehow someone he trusts have whispered so much in his ear, his head is drowned in the idea that
safeties are a such a 2nd or 3rd level priority.
Once the Earl Thomas and Jamal Adams trades fell thru, it's been bargain binges but we've missed other opportunities too.

- Tyranny Mathieu was available in FA after a year with Hou-Texans, before he decided on KC Chiefs.
But supposedly he did Not fit Kris Richard Legion of Boom scheme, and Cowboys aimed at Earl at the time. .

- Now i am very glad that we did not go for the Jamal Adams trade, with Seahawks wanting the world for him.
i was never enamored with a mini-LB that works at the line, and who does not affect the entire field.

- Now if we did make the Adams trade, in giving up a first rd pick, would that had been the
Micah Parsons pick ?

- Damonte Kazee is just decent enough until you can find better, until we can upgrade over him.
Malik Hooker is more physically talented than Kazee, but the big key was can he

BermyStar

Reaction score
Richard Sherman, and his 4.56, say hello. Speed is a plus but it is not a requirement for being a shutdown corner any more than it is for being a great WR.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
He has had his 'off' moments but many do. He has played very well this season and I respect the play without the 'cockiness' that is seen in many corners. He just goes out there and let's his play do the talking, much like Parsons has been doing.
Dallas has themselves 2 great young players and here's hoping they can find a pairing for both Diggs and Parsons as just adding 2 players to partner with them would bring this defense to the upper echelon level.
Sucks that Cox got injured as I was hoping to see what he could do and many thought Joseph was a steal in the 2nd round but he just hasn't been on the field enough to show much (14 defensive snaps all season) except on special teams.

With Anthony Brown being a possible cap casualty next season ($6.5M cap hit versus $5M saved if released) and Jourdan Lewis being possibly out the door after next season ($6.1M cap hit in 2023 versus $5M saved if released) Dallas needs to find a quality #2 CB and nickel CB (perhaps Joseph can step into that slot CB role with a quality off-season).

- With Joseph and Wright in the mix after we invested high picks with both players, i would expect something to have to go down.
i believe Cowboys wanted Joseph to eventually wrestle the starting role from Anthony Brown - and set a bookend duo with Diggs.

- i had hope that the coaches would try to share reps between Joseph vs Lewis at the slot,, but at this late stretch, they may feel far more comfortable with the vet Lewis
and just have KJ as an injury insurance at the outside CB at this time.

- Wright is strictly a special teams role guy at this time. - its' the offseason and next summer camp thats gonna factor much bigger with these 2 guys, than now in reg season, imo

USArmyVet

Reaction score
- I dunno if safety will ever be a big investment so long as Stephen Jones is around.
Somehow someone he trusts have whispered so much in his ear, his head is drowned in the idea that
safeties are a such a 2nd or 3rd level priority.
Once the Earl Thomas and Jamal Adams trades fell thru, it's been bargain binges but we've missed other opportunities too.

- Tyranny Mathieu was available in FA after a year with Hou-Texans, before he decided on KC Chiefs.
But supposedly he did Not fit Kris Richard Legion of Boom scheme, and Cowboys aimed at Earl at the time. .

- Now i am very glad that we did not go for the Jamal Adams trade, with Seahawks wanting the world for him.
i was never enamored with a mini-LB that works at the line, and who does not affect the entire field.

- Now if we did make the Adams trade, in giving up a first rd pick, would that had been the
Micah Parsons pick ?

- Damonte Kazee is just decent enough until you can find better, until we can upgrade over him.
Malik Hooker is more physically talented than Kazee, but the big key was can he

Dallas, as you stated, does not prioritize the safety position as that showed in 2019 when Dallas reached for DT Trysten Hill (known to many as being immature and lacking on the field commitment) in the 2nd round when they could have selected a much needed safety in Juan Thornhill (selected by KC 5 picks later) while also passing on safety Nasir Adderley (selected by the Chargers 2 picks after Hill) and Taylor Rapp (selected by the Rams 3 picks after Hill).

Career Stats to Date

T. Hill 25 tackles

J. Thornhill 144 tackles 5 INT's 1 TD 11 PD's 1 FF 1 FR

N. Adderley 146 tackles 1 INT .5 Sacks 8 PD's 2 FR's

T. Rapp 210 tackles 5 INT's 1.5 Sacks 14 PD's 1 FF 2 FR's