Did Manziel to Dallas just get closer to happening?

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Not sure Johnny Football is as marketable as he was when he first came out. That won't stop Jerry though, because while JFF isn't as marketable to the masses, he will still generate tons of attention onto the Cowboys and that's what Jerry really craves - attention. Good or Bad, doesn't matter.

Now if the Cowboys got JFF and still drafted QB at #4, I'd be happy. Just don't see that ever happening though.

I don't think there's a QB I'm confident in taking at #4. Carson Wentz is the first one I'd go after. It's starting to look like he won't be there in the second round so I don't mind trading down to the mid to late first to pick him. But I'd rather use that #4 on Laquon Treadwell and try to get Wentz with the second round pick or maybe Dak in the third or fourth. I agree though, as much as I'm ok with us getting Johnny, I think I'd be very disappointed if we don't also draft a QB before the mid to late rounds.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The true definition of the word..."capable of working successfully". The QB's I placed in that category, at least to me, are no different than Weeden and below Cassel.

I would take Chase Daniels over most of those you listed in the top section.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Maybe not Bark...have you seen the crop of UFA QB's scheduled to hit the market in 2016? Yikes!

There's:
Sam Bradford
Drew Stanton
Chad Henne
Matt Moore
Luke McCown
Matt Schaub
Matt Cassel
Charlie Whitehurst
Matt Flynn
Brandon Weedon

Just to name a few. I left off names that either won't be leaving their team (like: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brock Osweiler and Kirk Cousins) or due to age aren't really an option for Dallas in 2016 (Matt Hasslebeck and Michael Vick) or just aren't really viable options (Case Keenum, Chase Daniels, T.J. Yates, Jimmy Clausen, Dan Orlovsky, Joe Webb, Thaddeus Lewis, et al).

Robert Griffin starts to look pretty appealing when one looks at what could be backing up #9 in 2016. I shudder to think what the team would do next season with an inadequate backup and a #4 pick in the draft "future franchise QB" who has to be thrust into games if #9 goes down for multiple games.

And anyone on that list would be head and shoulders better than the bums being mentioned, JFF and RG3. And why would TJ Yates not be an option? He is far superior to either of them. Seriously, either one of them would be the absolute worst pick of any available QB during FA.

slick325

Reaction score
I would take Chase Daniels over most of those you listed in the top section.

Not really a Chase Daniels guy...don't think he has a pro arm. Not convinced he isn't another K. Moore. Could be wrong. Have been before and will be again...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'll take Manziel and gladly, providing the Browns package Joe Thomas (wants out too) and Josh Gordon as part of the deal. Otherwise, Browns could not give this kid away, even for a 7th. Johnny Football only has himself to blame for destroying his trade value. And he does not care one whit either.

slick325

Reaction score
And anyone on that list would be head and shoulders better than the bums being mentioned, JFF and RG3. And why would TJ Yates not be an option? He is far superior to either of them. Seriously, either one of them would be the absolute worst pick of any available QB during FA.

I watched Yates in college in the ACC. He screams at best average. He was average in college and has shown to be just that in the pros. Bill O'Brien can coach QB's and would start him if he felt he could win him games. They traded for Ryan Mallett and picked up Weeden. That tells you what a division winning team needing a QB thinks of Yates.

The pickings are slim when looking for a solid backup that can win games in the League. I understand that Manziel and Griffin elicit visceral responses from football fans but they are better prospects than the QB's I listed earlier if one were to be objective. I don't want Manziel because the position he plays calls for leadership, maturity, and good decision making. He shows none of that. Griffin was self absorbed and not very good in 2013 and 2014 but he at least isn't the off field wreck Manziel has shown to be...

Bottom line is...it is tough to find a capable starter let alone a capable backup. Romo is a blessing if he can stay healthy. Finding his replacement and the franchise future via the draft will be a crap shoot. So will finding a decent backup in free agency. Dallas needs both possibly this offseason. Tough evaluation must be done...

joseephuss

Reaction score

Yates is coming off of an ACL injury. He won't be able to practice in mini-camps and OTAs and more than likely even training camp. That is not a good way to prepare a backup qb.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Not really a Chase Daniels guy...don't think he has a pro arm. Not convinced he isn't another K. Moore. Could be wrong. Have been before and will be again...

Chase will turn 30 in October and has attempted only 77 passes in the NFL. Those aren't promising numbers. He is probably more athletic than Moore, but I agree that they are very similar.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I watched Yates in college in the ACC. He screams at best average....
I hate it that you felt compelled to refute that comment about Yates.

Most people would avoid the message board equivalent of eye contact and just walk swiftly by.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Someone mentioned the Rams might be interested... Umm not a good idea with Hwood here... That's a disaster waiting to happen

slick325

Reaction score
I hate it that you felt compelled to refute that comment about Yates.

Most people would avoid the message board equivalent of eye contact and just walk swiftly by.

Lol...you're right. But...I just had to respond. Wasn't quite sure what the message board equivalent of avoiding eye contact actually consists of...lol

The Natural

Reaction score

Yea I doubt that..Bradford might have won a few games here, everyone else on that list is on par with Cassell-Weeden.

The Natural

Reaction score
Whether it's RG3 of Manziel, we're getting one of the two. It's amazing to me there's such a large contingent here that is holding on to the losing idea that it's not going to happen. Just like those of us who are just going to have to deal with Garrett being around next year, you guys are going to have to deal with one of those two backing up Tony next year, and likely seeing playing time.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
According to this survey of ESPN reporters from each team, the Rams are the only team with even medium interest.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...ohnny-manziel-would-be-low-for-31-of-32-teams

I actually think ESPN has no friggin' clue and are just putting stuff out there so they have something to write about. Put it to you this way, if Ed Werder approached Jerry and said 'You taking Manziel?', Jerry wouldn't say 'Sorry, we have no interest in Johnny Football.', he'd actually say 'Eat a flaming bag of ****, Ed.'