Did Mike McCarthy fool the Cowboys front office?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The front office had nothing to do with this, it was all one man and McC did his best to make Booger feel comfortable with him and it worked. You ever hear any owner or GM of any sports franchise use the word "comfortable" to describe a requirement of their HC? Booger used that word with Garrett and Garrett and McC are more than just acquaintances and you can bet he gave McC some inside dope of how to "sell" Booger.

The interview was all about one thing, how to make the owner/GM feel the most comfortable and the least about of change for one HC to another. And McC has delivered on that and only speaks when asked to by the Joneses.

The laughable part of this last year was those pushing for Meyer and Riley. Do you really think these guys are going to bury their egos and subrogate it to a man trying to be a celebrity? Johnson and Parcells wouldn't do that and neither will any coach with an ego.

The DC HC job is all about making the GM look good.

75boyz

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that the deception isnt true.

Jerry knows what a real coach is.....I just dont think he wants that here.

HE wants to be the man and MM isnt a threat to take that away under any circumstance

Herein lies the truth.
Credible autonomous type HCs un accepting to the Jones influence either don't bother applying for the HC job because of the Jones undermining or never make the Jones list of candidates because the Jones know they wouldn't be able to run it their way with that type coach.

Guys looking for .500 ball HC production retirement checks are more than welcome in Jerry and Son's eyes. It's their comfort zone.

Ultimately, this is a very hard reality to face.
Hang on tightly to all those past championship memories.

P.S.CouchCoach basically said the same thing, lol

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I don't know the stats behind it, but how many SB winning coaches are there that are jumping from team to team after winning one? How many teams are letting go of SB winning coaches in their coaching prime?

I have to assume the sample size of that pool (SB winning coaches that eventually coach on another team) is a lot smaller than we're thinking

statements like yours paints a picture that every SB winning coach is on a year long carousel rotation around the league trying to win one on another team and that's obviously not the case

I could be wrong, my statements were made without looking at any stats :(
Right. Teams almost always hold on to great or very good coaches in their prime.

75boyz

Reaction score
I don't know the stats behind it, but how many SB winning coaches are there that are jumping from team to team after winning one? How many teams are letting go of SB winning coaches in their coaching prime?

I have to assume the sample size of that pool (SB winning coaches that eventually coach on another team) is a lot smaller than we're thinking

statements like yours paints a picture that every SB winning coach is on a year long carousel rotation around the league trying to win one on another team and that's obviously not the case

I could be wrong, my statements were made without looking at any stats :(

Outstanding post and perspective.

I think only a select few HCs from the distant past accomplished winning with one team and even getting there with another.

Off the top of my head was Parcells. Vermeil.

Jimmy switched teams but never got near a SB.
Gruden went to the MNF booth but then came back and he ain't near a 2nd SB with his second team.

So again, excellent point and teams "usually" don't fire a SB winning coach especially if he wants to stay. (which McCarthy did)

There's gotta be extenuating circumstances...

Which, at this point, is glaringly obvious, lol

Hint: It ain't covid or injury related :)

MMObserver

Reaction score
I have no idea whether Big Mac "FOOLED" Jerry or not during the hiring process.

However, I am quite confident that Big Mac was effusive in his praise of all things Cowboys generally and of Jerry specifically.

Finally, I have zero doubt that Big Mac vowed in all sincerity to totally and completely support whatever personnel moves Jerry/Stephen might make and that, during the interview process, he highlighted (to Jerry and Stephen) his track record of unyielding fealty towards his GM in Green Bay (no matter how poorly that GM performed) as proof of his ability to be the ultimate Yes Man when it comes to his relationship with the individual(s) signing his (not insignificant) checks.

Mannix

Reaction score
Calling this fraud Big Mac is really starting to get on my last nerve....who wants to be kicked in the ballz first? Cutesy nicknames are for the endeared, and this fraud hasn't done a lick of anything yet.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Can we be realistic for a moment?

Mike McCarthy was absolutely 100% worthy of being hired and given a shot based on his resume alone.

75boyz

Reaction score

Mike McCarthy was absolutely 100% worthy of being hired and given a shot based on his resume alone.

I don't know. In his last 27 games as HC at his last job he went 11-16-1 before being fired.
So I guess if that's not to be considered, then yeah.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score

I agree. I think he just thought he could come in here and do a little organizing to get the team some better results. It probably didn't take him long to realize that the problem was cultural and systemic. I'm not sure that he signed up for that kind of fix. That's my $.02.

garyv

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is on pace to make 1.5 MILLION dollars per win this season; nearly twice as much as Lebron James [per win to $ ratio] with the Lakers last regular season (for whatever reason this was the first professional athlete that I thought of, completely random but adds a bit of perspective I guess).

The flip side is - this season is a complete anomaly due to the virus and he brought in a completely different staff, mostly all of the free agents that weren’t suspended for weed were a bust, Gerald McCoy (probably our #1 DT) got hurt before playing any meaningful football, the 2 studly offensive tackles have been hurt for pretty much the entire season, we don’t have a #1 defensive back in a pass happy league, oh and the franchise QB had his ankle turned into one of those odd New Years spinning things that people hold & twist to make loud noise (btw, where are those things the other 364 days a year).

Nevertheless, who would you like to see coach the Cowboys in a year or two if Big Mac doesn’t turn this around in 2021?

Things Mac has going for him:

-Dak will be back

-All pro LT Tyron Smith will be back

-Pro bowl RT La’el Collins will be back (correction: I thought La’el went to the Pro bowl last season but he did not).

-Zeke will put on his annual 20 pounds and be the best full back (emphasize FULL) since Moose.

-They’ll have a top 5 draft pick IF they’re smart.

-They have a plethora of draft picks including 3 tradable compensatory picks in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds due to them losing Byron Jones, Robert “1 sack” Quinn, and Randall Cobb. Told you guys the whole offseason that Robert Quinn is absolute dog poop. Dude is making almost $1 million per tackle this season.

-“Magic” Mike McCarthy & staff will probably have a whole offseason to implement those advanced analytics he worked on in 2019 and ‘sold’ to Jerry.

McCarthy and others fooled Jerry. I personally thought the rushed the McCarthy signing a little too quick. Jerry got jumping beans in his pants and worried about someone else getting McCarthy.

RS12

Reaction score
Apparently when Jerry was verifying references, he forgot to call Aaron Rodgers.