Did Norman shut Dez down again?

DTown214

Reaction score
I saw today on NFL Network that Norman was on Dez 52% of the time. In case that helps anyone.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He did....personally but WAS didn't adjust and they lost

The sample size is too small for me to say he shut down anyone to be honest. He's a solid corner. I won't take that from him. But I can't say he shut someone down when he was only on them for like 2 or 3 targets.

The Natural

Reaction score
We got the W and Dez went over 100 yards..who cares about what Norman did

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The sample size is too small for me to say he shut down anyone to be honest. He's a solid corner. I won't take that from him. But I can't say he shut someone down when he was only on them for like 2 or 3 targets.

When you cover someone well they typically don't get targeted. That's the hidden value in quality CBs that doesn't show up in a stat sheet.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When you cover someone well they typically don't get targeted. That's the hidden value in quality CBs that doesn't show up in a stat sheet.

Yes, you're right. However, he didn't shut down Dez. Last year I see it. Just because you don't get targeted doesn't mean you're doing well. It just means that Breeland is struggling and he's a smarter guy to attack.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yes, you're right. However, he didn't shut down Dez. Last year I see it. Just because you don't get targeted doesn't mean you're doing well. It just means that Breeland is struggling and he's a smarter guy to attack.

Dez was only targeted twice with Norman on him and both were incompletions. However, he was in coverage with Dez a lot more than just two snaps.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dez was only targeted twice with Norman on him and both were incompletions. However, he was in coverage with Dez a lot more than just two snaps.
I'm aware of that but through two weeks it's clear that the Cowboys see Beasley as a matchup nightmare for teams. Dez wasn't targeted more on Norman because there were simply better match ups. Not because they feared Norman.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'm aware of that but through two weeks it's clear that the Cowboys see Beasley as a matchup nightmare for teams. Dez wasn't targeted more on Norman because there were simply better match ups. Not because they feared Norman.

How could you possibly know that? Just because a pass goes to Beasley doesn't mean he was the primary read and particularly as it relates to this past game

The Cowboys clearly made targeting Dez a high-priority in Week 2 and did....against Breeland.

Dez was targeted on Dez 10 times. It's curious Beasley suddenly became the best option when Dez matched up Breeland.

Last edited:

Marktui

Reaction score
He's a great corner, but he also got away with a major hold on Dez early on in the game. He was beat. Later in the endzone he could have been called for illegal contact or pi (ball was thrown elsewhere) for shoving/tackling Dez out of bounds.

Norman is a physical corner that knows how to hide his hands when holding. Every time he was on Dez he was up tight and looking to get his hands on Dez immediately. That was a clear holding penalty on him on that first pass, Dez was breaking back to the ball and would have separated from Norman but he clearly grabbed him so he could break up the pass. IMHO, Dez cannot run past him, but any type of digg route, back shoulder and run some type of rub routes with TW to get him some room to maneuver would free up Dez.