Did Norman shut Dez down again?

Macnalty

Reaction score
We will not see a better CB against this offense this year. He is, certainly, someone a rookie Dak does not need to test and become acquainted. The Giants DB's were good but Norman is a tier above them and I have no doubt will handle whichever receiver he is tasked with covering this weekend in New York. No easy days for this WR offense with the Skins and Giants. Eagles are an average DB group behind a great Dline, not as good as Giants but very good. That loss to the Giants is going to sting all season for the boys like the 49ers loss in 2014 on opening day.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Dez is a guy who can make plays despite really good coverage. Dak is not a guy who is going to test that, however. At least not right now. So yeah, Norman shut him down for those few plays, but I'm not sure Dez couldn't have made plays despite that, if given the chance.

daveferr33

Reaction score
All things being equal Norman did a very good job on Dez. He's a tremendous CB.

The Commanders were stupid not to lock Norman up on Dez for the entire game.

As they said during the broadcast, Norman refuses to play the right side.

He may be a "tremendous CB," but his inability or refusal to play the right side is a serious limitation.

Plankton

Reaction score

He may be a "tremendous CB," but his inability or refusal to play the right side is a serious limitation.

To be fair, Norman lines up where the coaching staff tells him to line up.

I don't think he has any issue with playing either side.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

It's the coaches. He's said he wants the big match ups. The dude is clearly a competitor.

birdwells1

Reaction score
From what I saw, Dez didn't run the same patterns against Norman that he ran against Breeland. While covered by Norman, ran go routes and stop routes but against Breeland Dez ran deep ins and more crossing type routes which is what allowed him to get separation. The Cowboys have to do a better job of running Dez on routes that take him away from the defender (crossing, slants and in routes) that's where he has his success at. Dez is not a speedster so his go routes and stop routes are easier to cover.

birdwells1

Reaction score

I don't remember this.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It's irrelevant whether or not Norman "shut" Bryant down. The gameplan was to seperate the lock from the key (Bryant being the key.) the game is chess not checkers. Norman can have the bragging rights we can take the victory.

I like the cut of your jib.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Gotta love it when fans just make crap up.

Nobody (and especicially to Norman) said he "refuses" to switch sides.

smh

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
Just reported on ESPN....

Norman will travel with and cover Beckham this Sunday.

Yummy.
Goes to show you how stupid his DC is. Now you want him to shadow the top receiver all game? It took you two games of getting torched by top WRs to figure this out?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Norman also shut out Antonio Brown, but nobody cares since the Steelers made sure AB made an impact. Same applies to Dez and Dallas.

rpntex

Reaction score
From what I saw, Dez didn't run the same patterns against Norman that he ran against Breeland. While covered by Norman, ran go routes and stop routes but against Breeland Dez ran deep ins and more crossing type routes which is what allowed him to get separation. The Cowboys have to do a better job of running Dez on routes that take him away from the defender (crossing, slants and in routes) that's where he has his success at. Dez is not a speedster so his go routes and stop routes are easier to cover.

There's a reason for that. Breiland doesn't backpedal in coverage...he pivots and bails (runs back instead of back pedaling). Any halfway smart OC and WR will pick that up on film. Then you beat it by selling to vertical route, and as a soon as the DB turns his hips, you break off the pattern.

Norman is more conventional and much more sound in his technique. With his, the best options are to go vertical, or try and sell the vertical until you get his momentum going backward, then stop and come back for the ball.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I thought Norman was overhyped coming out of Carolina. I've seen both Skins games this year, and I must say, I'm very impressed with him. Dude can flat out play ball.

Might have something to do with he's hardly ever covering the other team's best WR. Did not cover Brown and Dez only a handful of plays.

I'm not buying his stock. Desean and a few others burned him constantly in training camp. There is a reason the Skins are not matching him up with these WRs so far.

There is nothing special about him when it comes to locking someone up. He was good in Carolina's scheme, which was a zone coverage scheme.

birdwells1

Reaction score
There's a reason for that. Breiland doesn't backpedal in coverage...he pivots and bails (runs back instead of back pedaling). Any halfway smart OC and WR will pick that up on film. Then you beat it by selling to vertical route, and as a soon as the DB turns his hips, you break off the pattern.

Norman is more conventional and much more sound in his technique. With his, the best options are to go vertical, or try and sell the vertical until you get his momentum going backward, then stop and come back for the ball.

Why didn't it work? Norman is bit Revis or Dion in their prime you've got to make him think and change directions. When Dez runs a go route with Norman on one side and the sideline on the other it's going to take a perfect pass to get the ball to him, the respect they gave norman was a little too much imo.

rpntex

Reaction score
Why didn't it work? Norman is bit Revis or Dion in their prime you've got to make him think and change directions. When Dez runs a go route with Norman on one side and the sideline on the other it's going to take a perfect pass to get the ball to him, the respect they gave norman was a little too much imo.

If Romo was the QB, then yes...too much respect. For a rookie who's still getting his feet wet, I don;t think so.