Did Oilers fans hate the Cowboys this much?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
It seems like Oilers fans didn't hate the Cowboys half as much as Texans fans do. Why's that?

The Cowboys didn't have 5 rings yet, but even then it was clear who was Texas' superior team. Maybe just a more polite and courteous era back then, 1970s-1990s?

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Not having anything to brag about compared to the cowboys leads to pent up anger and frustration.

If you cant win anything, maybe you can brag about beating America's team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it was a Cowboys vs. Oilers, or even now Cowboys vs. Texans....It has always been a Dallas vs. Houston city thing. More from the Houston side, than from the Dallas side.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Who knows.

There is a whole generation of Cowboys & Texans fans who haven't never seen EITHER team ever win anything of note.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It seems like Oilers fans didn't hate the Cowboys half as much as Texans fans do. Why's that?

The Cowboys didn't have 5 rings yet, but even then it was clear who was Texas' superior team. Maybe just a more polite and courteous era back then, 1970s-1990s?

Oilers fans hated Dallas big time, not sure why you think that and Oiler players like Carl Mauck

In a 1977 preseason game, the Oilers defeated the Cowboys. I wrote a story in which center Carl Mauck blasted Cowboys fans in Houston, telling them to get the hell out of Houston and move to Dallas. And he’d help them pack. Defensive end Elvin Bethea echoed Mauck. We ran that story in the Chronicle on Sunday, and it created a firestorm that rages today.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...-like-about-the-cowboys-or-their-fans-wvideo/

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Definitely felt sorry for Bum's team when they got to the AFC championship game and lost to the Stealers. No sympathy whatsoever for AJ & co. The Texans have yet to become worthy of my hatred.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My dad moved us to Houston in 1969, when we moved here of course we were Cowboy fans but Houston was in the AFL/AFC and so for us it was no big deal to pull for the Oilers after all they had no real bearing on the Cowboys. However after living here a couple of years and seeing how much Houston fans hated the Cowboys we swore off the Oilers and have cheer against them every year and now with the Texans it is the same thing.

bark

Reaction score
Oilers fans hated Dallas big time, not sure why you think that and Oiler players like Carl Mauck

In a 1977 preseason game, the Oilers defeated the Cowboys. I wrote a story in which center Carl Mauck blasted Cowboys fans in Houston, telling them to get the hell out of Houston and move to Dallas. And he’d help them pack. Defensive end Elvin Bethea echoed Mauck. We ran that story in the Chronicle on Sunday, and it created a firestorm that rages today.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...-like-about-the-cowboys-or-their-fans-wvideo/

Ok . You are john mc clain of the chronicle? Wow I'm a big fan of your work if so.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ok . You are john mc clain of the chronicle? Wow I'm a big fan of your work if so.

lol, No but I am friends with him. He invited me to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame when Irvin was being inducted. He had told to hang out with him and once he finished his interview he would introduce me to Irvin and several others who were being inducted. Ray Childress, Mia Hamm and Mike Modano and Coach Spike Dykes. Also got to meet several others who were in attendance at the dinner. Really cool sitting at the table with Jack Pardee. By the way John Mc wife is a Commanders fan and yet he still loves her. lol

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score

Mauck was a loudmouthed drunk. I was attending an Astros game with my uncle once and he was sitting 5 rows in front of us. He was pounding suds like there was no tomorrow standing up and cussing with children around. The Astro's fans were telling him to sit down and shut up and he was yelling expletives back at them. Security finally paid him a visit and he was cut off by the brew crew...

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I've never heard of John McClain but these stories are funny about the fan hatred.

Never heard of Carl Mauck either but he sounds like a real jerk.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Oilers absolutely hated Dallas but it was also made worse when Houston didn't have a team and got the local Cowboys games.
I don't blame Houston folks... they know they basically have to fight for their team in their city.
A single Dallas SB win and that town will be 60/40 Cowboys again.

Plus they live in the armpit of Texas, smelling a mixture of natural gas and humid crotch.

It probably doesn't help relations that the Mavs just stole Parsons and their big addition was ... Jet.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Definitely felt sorry for Bum's team when they got to the AFC championship game and lost to the Stealers. No sympathy whatsoever for AJ & co. The Texans have yet to become worthy of my hatred.

Is that picture of the cowboy on the horse a bumper sticker? If so, what year was it (if you know)? I remember my Dad getting one when the Cowboys were a pretty new team.

bark

Reaction score
lol, No but I am friends with him. He invited me to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame when Irvin was being inducted. He had told to hang out with him and once he finished his interview he would introduce me to Irvin and several others who were being inducted. Ray Childress, Mia Hamm and Mike Modano and Coach Spike Dykes. Also got to meet several others who were in attendance at the dinner. Really cool sitting at the table with Jack Pardee. By the way John Mc wife is a Commanders fan and yet he still loves her. lol

I guess I read that wrong dooms. Great story tho brother. Great memories there. Thanks

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
Internet probably changed that.

Now people can say stuff while hiding behind a keyboard, makes it a lot easier to hate something more.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Funny thing I love the Cowboys, but I hate the city of Dallas.
Don't much care for the Texans, but I really like the city of Houston.
I get to Dallas once a year for meetings and I'm in Houston at least once a month.

Totally agree.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Is that picture of the cowboy on the horse a bumper sticker? If so, what year was it (if you know)? I remember my Dad getting one when the Cowboys were a pretty new team.

Actually, it's part of an envelope that some tickets came in. I posted some pics a while back of the tickets and envelope that my dad had bought and my mom saved for me. from Nov of '69.

joseephuss

Reaction score
No, the Oilers fans didn't hate the Cowboys as much as Texans fans. The Texans fans also don't love their team as much as Oilers fans loved theirs. Texans fans want to feel something. They can't feel love for a team that isn't a consistent winner and ranks 31st in winning percentage out of the 32 NFL franchises, so they focus on the hate.