Did Oilers fans hate the Cowboys this much?

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Actually, it's part of an envelope that some tickets came in. I posted some pics a while back of the tickets and envelope that my dad had bought and my mom saved for me. from Nov of '69.

Thanks, CB Gil.

lostar2009

Reaction score
It seems like Oilers fans didn't hate the Cowboys half as much as Texans fans do. Why's that?

The Cowboys didn't have 5 rings yet, but even then it was clear who was Texas' superior team. Maybe just a more polite and courteous era back then, 1970s-1990s?

Although the oiler did not have any super bowls they was a winning team on the cuffs. The texans hate the cowboys because they were always losers. But i dont know i guess the stir the beef up a little in the media with the governer bowl allowing the Texans to gain a little fame.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Although the oiler did not have any super bowls they was a winning team on the cuffs. The texans hate the cowboys because they were always losers. But i dont know i guess the stir the beef up a little in the media with the governer bowl allowing the Texans to gain a little fame.

The Oilers won the first two AFL Championships.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Their may have been some hate back in the day, but I think they hated the Steelers more than us. We only played the Houston Oilers 8 times, winning 5 times I believe....hopefully Joseephuss can verify that.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, the Oilers fans didn't hate the Cowboys as much as Texans fans. The Texans fans also don't love their team as much as Oilers fans loved theirs. Texans fans want to feel something. They can't feel love for a team that isn't a consistent winner and ranks 31st in winning percentage out of the 32 NFL franchises, so they focus on the hate.

I don't live down there but I get that same impression from seeing things from afar.

I can't see a Texan's crowd getting worked up the same way an Oiler's crowd did when they played "Luv Ya Blue".

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Their may have been some hate back in the day, but I think they hated the Steelers more than us. We only played the Houston Oilers 8 times, winning 5 times I believe....hopefully Joseephuss can verify that.

Maybe so but not a lot of Pitt people here in Houston while there have always been a large number of Cowboy fans in Houston

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I don't live down there but I get that same impression from seeing things from afar.

I can't see a Texan's crowd getting worked up the same way an Oiler's crowd did when they played "Luv Ya Blue".

I have been told the Texans crowd is very loud.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Being Irish and living in Ireland we have one sports bar that shows a lot of NFL, every sunday they show five or six games plus the red zone at 6pm GMT. It's not great for work on Monday, but I persevere. I meet a lot of Americans as this place is the first Google hit and really the only place to go for games. Couple of few weeks ago I was out having a smoke and two Texans fans were giving me crap because I was wearing a Romo jersey, I said I would concede the point if they could name the starting QB for the Texans (both wearing Johnson jerseys) they looked at each other and shook my hand as the point was made. This is one of my few interactions with Houston fans. They hate more then they care.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Funny thing I love the Cowboys, but I hate the city of Dallas.
Don't much care for the Texans, but I really like the city of Houston.
I get to Dallas once a year for meetings and I'm in Houston at least once a month.

I like the city of Dallas actually but I like Houston more as well. Other than that, your post mirrors mine. I don't love or hate the Texans. I actually root for them outside of the one obvious matchup that only happens once every four years.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
It seems like Oilers fans didn't hate the Cowboys half as much as Texans fans do. Why's that?

The Cowboys didn't have 5 rings yet, but even then it was clear who was Texas' superior team. Maybe just a more polite and courteous era back then, 1970s-1990s?

Social Media.

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score
Funny thing I love the Cowboys, but I hate the city of Dallas.
Don't much care for the Texans, but I really like the city of Houston.
I get to Dallas once a year for meetings and I'm in Houston at least once a month.

I've only spent brief stints in Houston, so I'm unable to say yeah, or nay on whether I like the town or not. I wholeheartedly disagree on Dallas though. My experience has been great food, great people (very pretty women - I nicknamed the town silicon valley east if you catch the meaning) and great parties. One of my favorite restaurants in the world is in Dallas - Del Frisco's off of Spring Valley Rd - become good acquaintances with Dee Lincoln when she ran the place given we are both Cajuns - Again good people in Dallas I was always exposed to.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
No, the Oilers fans didn't hate the Cowboys as much as Texans fans. The Texans fans also don't love their team as much as Oilers fans loved theirs. Texans fans want to feel something. They can't feel love for a team that isn't a consistent winner and ranks 31st in winning percentage out of the 32 NFL franchises, so they focus on the hate.

***** envy...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Being Irish and living in Ireland we have one sports bar that shows a lot of NFL, every sunday they show five or six games plus the red zone at 6pm GMT. It's not great for work on Monday, but I persevere. I meet a lot of Americans as this place is the first Google hit and really the only place to go for games. Couple of few weeks ago I was out having a smoke and two Texans fans were giving me crap because I was wearing a Romo jersey, I said I would concede the point if they could name the starting QB for the Texans (both wearing Johnson jerseys) they looked at each other and shook my hand as the point was made. This is one of my few interactions with Houston fans. They hate more then they care.

Texan jerseys in Ireland?

Just WOW...

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
OIlers fans hated the Cowboys because the Cowboys always seemed to have their number. Before the 1973 season, the Oilers made an idiotic trade with the Cowboys. The Oilers owned the number one pick in the entire draft, which they traded away to Dallas for Billy Parks and Tody Smith. Also included in the deal was the Oilers' 3rd-round pick. The Cowboys used that 1st and 3rd to pick Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Danny White. Billy Parks was a good receiver, but he wasn't what you would call great. He wasn't worth a first-round pick, much less the first pick in the entire draft. Cole Beasely actually reminds me a lot of Billy Parks. I love the guy, but if I had an NFL team, I would never trade the first pick in the draft for him. To be honest, I don't remember anything about Tody Smith, but I'd doubt he was as valuable as Danny White was.

That trade has to be the most lopsided deal in our favor other than the Herschel Walker trade. It had Oilers fans stewing for years. Honestly, a fair deal probably would have been a 3rd for Billy Parks and a bag of popcorn for Tody Smith.

Zordon

Reaction score
lol, No but I am friends with him. He invited me to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame when Irvin was being inducted. He had told to hang out with him and once he finished his interview he would introduce me to Irvin and several others who were being inducted. Ray Childress, Mia Hamm and Mike Modano and Coach Spike Dykes. Also got to meet several others who were in attendance at the dinner. Really cool sitting at the table with Jack Pardee. By the way John Mc wife is a Commanders fan and yet he still loves her. lol

that's pretty cool. im not a fan of mcclain b/c he hates on my longhorns.

MissouriCowboy

Reaction score
I like the city of Dallas actually but I like Houston more as well. Other than that, your post mirrors mine. I don't love or hate the Texans. I actually root for them outside of the one obvious matchup that only happens once every four years.

Same here. I wish Texans success when not playing Dallas. Like Andre Johnson a lot.