Did Oilers fans hate the Cowboys this much?

Houstonboy

Reaction score
Totally agree.

I agree as well.. I love living in Houston don't care much for Dallas. I was born in the Panhandle and moved to Houston when I was 16. My mom and sister live in the Dallas area so I visit frequently. That being said, being a Cowboys fan in Houston irritates the Texans fans I know. So if the boys win Sunday I will still have bragging rights over the Texans fans.

silver

Reaction score
Oilers fans hated Dallas big time, not sure why you think that and Oiler players like Carl Mauck

In a 1977 preseason game, the Oilers defeated the Cowboys. I wrote a story in which center Carl Mauck blasted Cowboys fans in Houston, telling them to get the hell out of Houston and move to Dallas. And he’d help them pack. Defensive end Elvin Bethea echoed Mauck. We ran that story in the Chronicle on Sunday, and it created a firestorm that rages today.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...-like-about-the-cowboys-or-their-fans-wvideo/

John McClain is that you? Yippee-ki-yay

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Who knows.

There is a whole generation of Cowboys & Texans fans who haven't never seen EITHER team ever win anything of note.

Most assuredly. Ah hate the thought that some kids today don't know the glory and good feelings of a team fresh off a Super Bowl victory. As a Cowboys fans it concern me that we not be the best in the NFL and the culture of winning has not rubbed off on young Cowboys fans and that is troubling. Without a culture of winning, we assept 8-8 as the way of the world. I do see older Cowboys fans continually disgruntled but rarely see younger fans disturbed by mediocrity. They is in it for the spectacle and root for their individual heroes and not necisarily for the team.

The culture of mediocrity really worry me. I hope that soon the glory days will return and maybe one day fans (all off them) can see the fruits of winning. In short, I weep for the future but still half confidence we can return to the glory days.

jrumann59

Reaction score

Plus they live in the armpit of Texas, smelling a mixture of natural gas and humid crotch.

I thought Beaumont was bad with natural gas, humid crotch and swamp gas wafting over from LA.

dupree89

Reaction score
Don't have the answer to the original question. But on the topic of the Oilers: They had some really good teams in the late 70's and just couldn't get past the Steelers. They were a fun team to watch IMO. A solid team in the regular season and then play the Steelers in the playoffs and lose 34-5. That was the late 70's Oilers in a nutshell. I actually though the year (81?) that they brought in Kenny Stabler at QB would be their year. But, it never worked out.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I bet Houston fans are happier in retrospect with the Oilers moving & just starting new.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I know enough about them to know the Texans have a much better owner & the team/city will benefit from that.

I don't know about that, people loved to complain about Bud Adams but what they had in the 70's with Love You Blue I have yet to see anything like that with the Texans. Bud was not a bad owner, all he wanted was a new stadium and the then Mayor did not like Bud and said no so Bud moves them, Few years later Houston wants a team and willing to build a stadium.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I don't know about that, people loved to complain about Bud Adams but what they had in the 70's with Love You Blue I have yet to see anything like that with the Texans. Bud was not a bad owner, all he wanted was a new stadium and the then Mayor did not like Bud and said no so Bud moves them, Few years later Houston wants a team and willing to build a stadium.

IMO any owner that moves a sports team over a stadium is wrong. These guys have all this money & they have tantrums over stadiums. I know the fans there hated him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
IMO any owner that moves a sports team over a stadium is wrong. These guys have all this money & they have tantrums over stadiums. I know the fans there hated him.

I somewhat agree but the simple fact was Houston had no issue with building one for the Texans. Fine if a city takes a more high ground and say we will not do it, it is another thing when it is personal as a reason to not build it. Yes fans love and hate owners depending on how your team is doing. Hell Bud big mistake was listening to fans and what they wanted, he gave them what they asked and when if fell apart he was the one holding the bag. Which is why I say any owner dumb enough to listen to fans deserves what he gets. lol

GuerillaBlack

Reaction score
I don't know what 2 years after they leave Tenn goes to the SB? lol I got such a kick out of that.

Likewise, many Houston fans got a kick out of them coming up one yard short and Bud not getting that trophy.

No, Bud had just asked for a bunch of renovations to the Astrodome, which the city and county granted. Then at that same time, the NFL started expanding and new stadiums were built. Bud got jealous and just a couple of years after the county and city poured millions into renovation, he asked for a new stadium. Mayor said hell no and then Bud moved the team. If Bud wasn't a bad owner, then why were Titans fans not that fond of him either?

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Likewise, many Houston fans got a kick out of them coming up one yard short and Bud not getting that trophy.

No, Bud had just asked for a bunch of renovations to the Astrodome, which the city and county granted. Then at that same time, the NFL started expanding and new stadiums were built. Bud got jealous and just a couple of years after the county and city poured millions into renovation, he asked for a new stadium. Mayor said hell no and then Bud moved the team. If Bud wasn't a bad owner, then why were Titans fans not that fond of him either?

And since you appear to be a Texans fan my question is would you rather have the Oilers? Or have the Texans & just start over? I would think most Houston fans would say the Texans.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

and Texans are playing in Astrodome? Astros maybe?
Hate to say it but even after renovation there were issues with the Astrodome. Even now if Harris County, where I work were to do something with the astrodome there still is much asbestos removal that will have to be done. So there were still major issues with the Dome

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
It seems like Oilers fans didn't hate the Cowboys half as much as Texans fans do. Why's that?

The Cowboys didn't have 5 rings yet, but even then it was clear who was Texas' superior team. Maybe just a more polite and courteous era back then, 1970s-1990s?

More.

There was actually more to hate back then. We were consistently not just good but GREAT. I well remember the rigors of my childhood. Lol!