Did our veteran O line forget how to pass block?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Mahomes threw for over 400 yards today vs the Chargers and was barely pressured. His O line almost completely stymied the Chargers pass rush throughout the game.

On the other hand Dak was running for his life on almost every pass play vs the Chargers pass rush.

I can understand the O line struggling to run block since we have a different run scheme, but the pass blocking should be second nature to our veteran O line.

I still think our O line has the talent to pass block and run block at a top 5 level, but they need to start proving it. I’m not a fan of the new run blocking schemes, though. To often our run plays are too simple and basic. We consistently run inside the tackles with little imagination.

These same players, as a unit, have been very good pass blockers and run blockers. With a little more practice together, a little time to get over some injuries, and some tweaks to the running scheme, this O line should be a top 5 O line!!!

Thoughts?

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
Mahomes threw for over 400 yards today vs the Chargers and was barely pressured. His O line almost completely stymied the Chargers pass rush throughout the game.

On the other hand Dak was running for his life on almost every pass play vs the Chargers pass rush.

I can understand the O line struggling to run block since we have a different run scheme, but the pass blocking should be second nature to our veteran O line.

I still think our O line has the talent to pass block and run block at a top 5 level, but they need to start proving it. I’m not a fan of the new run blocking schemes, though. To often our run plays are too simple and basic. We consistently run inside the tackles with little imagination.

These same players, as a unit, have been very good pass blockers and run blockers. With a little more practice together, a little time to get over some injuries, and some tweaks to the running scheme, this O line should be a top 5 O line!!!

Thoughts?

Forget how to pass block?.. HA? :facepalm:

plasticman

Reaction score
I think you answered your own question.

They didn't forget how to pass block, they just don't know how to do it in conjunction with each other. This is due to the injuries and missed time as well as a new system.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This Oline has been sucking badly for several years now. Part of it is terrible Oline coaching. Another part is these Olinemen are too slow. They don't fire out while staying low and drive with aggression. No meanness to this Oline. It has gotten soft. Work them out as if they were in military boot camp. Guaranteed they would become leaner, more nimble, stronger and meaner. This Oline has been babied too much in recent years in more ways than one.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hummm.....QB?

Mahomes attacked the middle of the field. you know, the same middle of the field that Aikman said was there all game long. but we don't throw there.
It's not complicated.
But these guys are using a antiquated scheme which is 50 years old.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
I think you answered your own question.

They didn't forget how to pass block, they just don't know how to do it in conjunction with each other. This is due to the injuries and missed time as well as a new system.
Or age and talent

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Thoughts?
RBs do not pass block

No pre snap motion

Basic offense. Teams are playing short zones.

Everyone knows what we are doing.

starfan1

Reaction score
Mahomes >>>>>>>>>> Dak

That's the biggest issue here, not the o'line.
Mahomes better than anyone playing QB and it isn’t real close. Kelse better than anyone and it isn’t real close

KC line is similar to ours from 14-18

Their offensive scheme much better

The line is average despite what pff may tell you and Dak don’t read defense well enough

Both things can be true.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No, all of the specific group doubters...didn't you guys get the bulletin board notice? All were put on hold with the scheduled delayed Bank invasion, in preparations for a switch to flag football. :popcorn:

Sorry, still no House Speaker for 3 weeks. Not even enough on the floor again....understand?

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Did you see the Ravens game?

Nine seconds...

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think it comes down to coaching. Too many changes, and there was really no need to bring in a new OL coach. This is a product of McCarthy's ego.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Their run blocking is worse than their pass blocking. They are moving no one on most plays.

Overall, they are giving enough time for the ball to come out.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Say What you want about Philbin but as a OL Coach he's probably one of the best in the game outside of Callhan. he invented that goofy non Holding shoulder pads grip i used to yell about everytime we played the packers. I think next year we will see a new OL Coach this guy is not hacking it.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Thoughts?
I believe they're having problems in all phases man have you not seen there was no holes for the run game either/// there's some kind of issue and I'm sure they're working it out they're not the worst line in football but they're definitely been the bigger problem on offense than anything else everyone wants to point to McCarthy or other players on the offense but really that line it starts and ends in the trenches and we are not winning up there against the better teams