Did our veteran O line forget how to pass block?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Say What you want about Philbin but as a OL Coach he's probably one of the best in the game outside of Callhan. he invented that goofy non Holding shoulder pads grip i used to yell about everytime we played the packers. I think next year we will see a new OL Coach this guy is not hacking it.
Yeah it was cute until we got called for 80% of the time the last couple of years... But something needs to happen it's either the players or the coaches but yes the offensive line is not just pass blocking they're not opening up holes for the run either I mean it's anybody not paid attention why is this about forgot how to pass block?? No they're not executing, period..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'll stick with Aikman and my own eyes
But carry on!
Aikman was proven wrong in his critique. Watch this very play film breakdown and see how Aikman gets proven wrong. Go to the 6:41 minute mark in the video...

Aikman forgets how it was many times for him whenever his pass protection was poor, plus he was terrible at scrambling. Like the film breakdown analyst said, "It's easy for someone sitting in the broadcast booth to say Dak should have thrown it to the guy/player down the seam. He should have possibly been able to read this play without looking anywhere other than the Safety and just throw it..." Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that, and the film creator explained why not absolutely perfectly.

CCBoy

Reaction score
does it have anything to do with the

dak under center = run
dak in shot gun = pass

That's awful hard to figure out. LOL
Really putting one's lunch money on McCarthy being that stupid in analysis and a whole picture? Jerry wouldn't say something as to analysis?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The OL is not blocking well. I know it’s very easy to blame every problem on Dak. Dak would be a practice squad QB on every other team, and we would have world peace without Dak and whatever.

In reality we’re running a new blocking scheme with Schottenheimer as OC and it isn’t good, especially the run blocking.

hopemsu

Reaction score
most of these posts went to Dak sucking... and how awesome mahomes is, it is one things to hear commentators wacking over mahomes from 1000 miles away, its quite another to hear the cowboys fan base doing it.

The Chiefs are becoming the Patriots of old, or at least patriot lite. Mahomes plays for an organization and coach with their sht together. the chiefs have given up the least sacks this year. He has all day to throw often. His scrambles are commonly him sitting in the pocket for longer than alot of quarterbacks are given and then throwing to a wide open tight end. Put Mahomes on a bad team, and the team would still be bad.

Last edited:

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Mahomes threw for over 400 yards today vs the Chargers and was barely pressured. His O line almost completely stymied the Chargers pass rush throughout the game.

On the other hand Dak was running for his life on almost every pass play vs the Chargers pass rush.

I can understand the O line struggling to run block since we have a different run scheme, but the pass blocking should be second nature to our veteran O line.

I still think our O line has the talent to pass block and run block at a top 5 level, but they need to start proving it. I’m not a fan of the new run blocking schemes, though. To often our run plays are too simple and basic. We consistently run inside the tackles with little imagination.

These same players, as a unit, have been very good pass blockers and run blockers. With a little more practice together, a little time to get over some injuries, and some tweaks to the running scheme, this O line should be a top 5 O line!!!

Thoughts?
As well as run block ?
looks like not practicing together hurts the cohesion of OL more than we think

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, they stunk it up a little, but I'm hoping the OL is coming together and will be a cohesive line very soon. Remember, the five starters really haven't played much together yet.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Mahomes threw for over 400 yards today vs the Chargers and was barely pressured. His O line almost completely stymied the Chargers pass rush throughout the game.

On the other hand Dak was running for his life on almost every pass play vs the Chargers pass rush.

I can understand the O line struggling to run block since we have a different run scheme, but the pass blocking should be second nature to our veteran O line.

I still think our O line has the talent to pass block and run block at a top 5 level, but they need to start proving it. I’m not a fan of the new run blocking schemes, though. To often our run plays are too simple and basic. We consistently run inside the tackles with little imagination.

These same players, as a unit, have been very good pass blockers and run blockers. With a little more practice together, a little time to get over some injuries, and some tweaks to the running scheme, this O line should be a top 5 O line!!!

Thoughts?
The problem with our O-Line is they no longer have that bully mentality. For some reason, and I believe it has to do with our O-Line coaching staff.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Our O line coach is just not getting it done. When all players seem to fall off at the same time you have to look at coaching.
To be fair, Tyron and Zach Martin are at an age where they're almost never going to be 100% again, but I agree. They are trying to do way too much on the offensive line even though it's a glorified MASH unit. That's just delusional, bad coaching.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
FANS GAVE THIS OL TOO MUCH CREDIT SAYING HOW GOOD THEY WERE and they're not, it's our fault also!!!

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
maybe they'll revert back to last year's blocking scheme during the bye and see if that sparks something

CCBoy

Reaction score
FANS GAVE THIS OL TOO MUCH CREDIT SAYING HOW GOOD THEY WERE and they're not, it's our fault also!!!
"Yes," said McCarthy on Monday. "I was just speaking to [Cowboys athletic trainer Jim Maurer] and he doesn't have anyone of high concern for Wednesday."
That's great news for the Cowboys, needless to say, as they enter the second "trimester" of their season — that will begin by hosting the Loa Angeles Rams before an all-important matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 9.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-getting-healthier-after-2023-bye-week

krs1bro

Reaction score
I think you answered your own question.

They didn't forget how to pass block, they just don't know how to do it in conjunction with each other. This is due to the injuries and missed time as well as a new system.
K....totally disagree with this one. Block and maul the guy in front of you. Way too soft to make any kind of difference as far as forcing their will on the opponents and just flat out under performing on a level we haven't seen in decades. I wonder if Dak or RB's criticism is completely warranted at the end of the day. I would like to be able to evaluate skill positions better if this oline would just block someone. Just seems like they really don't give a crap and then you throw in
MM's version of an offense and it gets worse. Same damn game plan every week is getting old and way to predictable. Hey as long as the Jones are at the top of the forbes list in sports value that's all that matters to them. Peace.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Tyron is washed
Zack is a year from washed
Steele was never a great pass blocker and now is coming off major surgery.

Oh, and our new OL coach is 110 years old. Dude was literally on Tom Landry’s staff. But hey, he and MM are friends so it’s all good

plasticman

Reaction score
K....totally disagree with this one. Block and maul the guy in front of you. Way too soft to make any kind of difference as far as forcing their will on the opponents and just flat out under performing on a level we haven't seen in decades. I wonder if Dak or RB's criticism is completely warranted at the end of the day. I would like to be able to evaluate skill positions better if this oline would just block someone. Just seems like they really don't give a crap and then you throw in
MM's version of an offense and it gets worse. Same damn game plan every week is getting old and way to predictable. Hey as long as the Jones are at the top of the forbes list in sports value that's all that matters to them. Peace.
If I was playing against an offensive line that was learning a new system, experienced multiple injuries and lineup changes then I would do a lot of stunting, disguise my pass rush, exotic blitzs, etc, anything that would create confusion. I don't think it's so much the defender in front of them as it is the unanticipated actions of the defenders.

I also believe it is something that can be fixed with more game experience.