Did our veteran O line forget how to pass block?

Jarntt

Reaction score
I think you answered your own question.

They didn't forget how to pass block, they just don't know how to do it in conjunction with each other. This is due to the injuries and missed time as well as a new system.
I'm not buying that at all. The scheme isn't all that different and for veterans shouldn't even feel all that new come week 1. We are almost in November and on top of all of that, many of these guys played together in the past.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'm not buying that at all. The scheme isn't all that different and for veterans shouldn't even feel all that new come week 1. We are almost in November and on top of all of that, many of these guys played together in the past.
Agreed. Zack is the only one who missed most of camp. He is supposed to be worthy of reworked contract and one of the greatest of all time. Shouldn't be that big a deal if he's really that caliber of player.

blueblood70

Reaction score
when one guy spins back into the rusher it doesn't help the blocking scheme
see that's the problem you remember that one play but he sees pressure coming from the other side and tries to spin out of it the problem here there is no pocket you call that a pocket where God can't even spin without running into a defender that is the problem we have one of the worst pockets I've ever seen the last three seasons really but it's getting worse every year there is no pocket it looks like a disjointed nothing it's like you're running through potholes you're trying to avoid potholes but you can't because there's the next one and the next one or should I use the word meteor shower you're trying to navigate through that that's a problem we've had one of the worst pass rush win rates the last two seasons now they are being pressured they're losing the line of scrimmage you know where the line of scrimmage is when our guys end up two or three yards behind the line of scrimmage on pass plays and run plays that's a problem that is not holding your ground that is not creating an umbrella when I watch the Eagles and I see Lamar Jackson have 9 seconds to throw a football and I'm looking all over the league I think we have one of the worst pockets I've ever seen they are not creating a pocket it's like all five of them are individuals instead of a group,,

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't often agree with @blueblood70, but he is right about Zack. Even without the injuries Zack isn't dominant. Solid, yes. With the injuries, his top end play might get to solid but overall it's been pretty bad. Also, once his initial engagement is done, he is pretty much done on the play. Not going to contribute much if needed to keep moving \ hustling. I do attribute that to the health issues though.

Watch the tape & you'll see that Zack isn't imposing his will on folks like the old days.
This is why I have the guy blocked because he's obviously delusional let's blame everything on #4 and not look up front that's what most people do around here there is no pocket being created it's one of the worst pockets I've ever seen in football I'm not saying they're terrible they look like 5 guys blocking different blocking schemes in every play he can see pressure coming from the right he tries to go left there's another dude it's like navigating potholes they're all over the place and that's also in the run game they are losing the line of scrimmage they are being pushed back or held up they are not getting any push forward whatsoever on most plays outside of Tyler Smith these dudes seem to be have a different mindset on what the play call is that's what it looks like maybe the buy will help get them more fresh go over the mistakes we'll see what it looks like going forward but without a run game and without a clean pocket This is why it looks ugly it starts in the trenches I'm gonna say that for a third time the dude up there I don't not talking to you but you can keep letting him know that bill says Zach Martin doesn't look like Zach Martin just like Tony Pollard doesn't look like Tony Pollard... We've seen this happen to tyron Smith and now we're seeing it happen to Zach Martin maybe it is the three injuries he's had since camp maybe it was missing camp we'll find out going forward starting this weekend as you can't run against the Rams then we're in trouble being one-dimensional is not what you wanna be they are better pass rushers than I haven't watched all their games but you need to establish the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball or it's gonna be a long game and a long season...

gtb1943

Reaction score
Agreed. Zack is the only one who missed most of camp. He is supposed to be worthy of reworked contract and one of the greatest of all time. Shouldn't be that big a deal if he's really that caliber of player.
His injury is a little more than football fools realize. even so he is doing pretty well as regards dealing with it.
Amazing how many here do not make the connection that when ALL the starters look worse at the same time NOT looking at coaching is STUPID.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I don't often agree with @blueblood70, but he is right about Zack. Even without the injuries Zack isn't dominant. Solid, yes. With the injuries, his top end play might get to solid but overall it's been pretty bad. Also, once his initial engagement is done, he is pretty much done on the play. Not going to contribute much if needed to keep moving \ hustling. I do attribute that to the health issues though.

Watch the tape & you'll see that Zack isn't imposing his will on folks like the old days.
I HAVE watched and I see a fine player struggling with an injury but still getting it done a lot more than you claim.

gtb1943

Reaction score

he is a dak fanatic and thus he must blame everyone else every chance he gets

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
We are seriously comparing Mahomes to Dak? Is that what we are doing? We are seriously with a straight face trying to make this an actual thing?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Truth

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
see that's the problem you remember that one play but he sees pressure coming from the other side and tries to spin out of it the problem here there is no pocket you call that a pocket where God can't even spin without running into a defender that is the problem we have one of the worst pockets I've ever seen the last three seasons really but it's getting worse every year there is no pocket it looks like a disjointed nothing it's like you're running through potholes you're trying to avoid potholes but you can't because there's the next one and the next one or should I use the word meteor shower you're trying to navigate through that that's a problem we've had one of the worst pass rush win rates the last two seasons now they are being pressured they're losing the line of scrimmage you know where the line of scrimmage is when our guys end up two or three yards behind the line of scrimmage on pass plays and run plays that's a problem that is not holding your ground that is not creating an umbrella when I watch the Eagles and I see Lamar Jackson have 9 seconds to throw a football and I'm looking all over the league I think we have one of the worst pockets I've ever seen they are not creating a pocket it's like all five of them are individuals instead of a group,,
one play, that's about every time he's pressured. /shrugs

plasticman

Reaction score
It's not the scheme, it's their familiarity with each other within the scheme. O-linemen need to be able to anticipate the actions of their teammates in order to be cohesive. They'll get there.

Watch how they begin to improve week to week.....assuming reasonable health among the squad.

Jarntt

Reaction score
It's not the scheme, it's their familiarity with each other within the scheme. O-linemen need to be able to anticipate the actions of their teammates in order to be cohesive. They'll get there.

Watch how they begin to improve week to week.....assuming reasonable health among the squad.
I said new scheme because you brought it up in the post I quoted.

Martin and Steele have played a ton together. Same for Martin and Biadasz. Biadasz played with Tyler last year and 6 games this year too and in TC. Tyron shouldn't need time to gel with anyone at this point and Tyler who has played the least with the others is playing like a first team All Pro. So again, I'm just not buying that. You don't have to agree of course and could be right, but it just doesn't make sense to me personally and comes off like an excuse.