Did Rap Kill Off Soul Train, American Bandstand & MTV?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
You sound miserable because Deep down Rap takes little talent and you know it . You are miserable because your generation is less than others. Makes you envious which makes you jealous wanting to be respected as musicians.. No talent,no class,just trashy no sense of what class is your generation. Yeah your generation that is offended by Mr. Potatohead.. There is nothing lasting with your music. It's a video of some stupid dance any fool could learn in 30 seconds.... Yes sexy ladies from Soul Train not cartoonish butts of skanks from you're generation. Morons trying so hard to be cool. Who gives a flip... Where is the golden voices like Smokey Robinson?

Smokey was cool and didn't have to act like some douchebag saying he gets all the ladies with shades on in a dark nightclub.

You should upload a video of you doing all these dances you claim are so easy to do and learn in 30 seconds.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
MTV changed its programing because the ratings showed what their audience wanted. IMO reality shows had way more to do with killing off videos than any specific genre of music.

100%

Programming changed with the onset of reality television. What’s next? Are we going to blame the downfall of MTV on border policy?

*One of the current MTV is now effectively a 24/7 Ridiculousness marathon.

HungryLion

Reaction score
MTV changed its programing because the ratings showed what their audience wanted. IMO reality shows had way more to do with killing off videos than any specific genre of music.

If I recall correctly, MTV was one of the stations that really kicked off the modern day reality television with The Road Rules and The Real World.

I know there were some shows before them but they really paved the way back in the early 90’s.

the popularity and success of those shows set MTV down the path.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty much agree with all of this. But if I have to listen to rap please make it old school 80s rap.
I rarely listen to any kind of mainstream music no matter what the genre. If I listed my top ten favorite bands most here wouldn't have ever heard of any of them.
From red dirt county to Scandinavian black metal
I have never been a real Country fan but I did dig some Red Dirt and promoted quite a few shows in OK. Nice people too.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You sound miserable because Deep down Rap takes little talent and you know it . You are miserable because your generation is less than others. Makes you envious which makes you jealous wanting to be respected as musicians.. No talent,no class,just trashy no sense of what class is your generation. Yeah your generation that is offended by Mr. Potatohead.. There is nothing lasting with your music. It's a video of some stupid dance any fool could learn in 30 seconds.... Yes sexy ladies from Soul Train not cartoonish butts of skanks from you're generation. Morons trying so hard to be cool. Who gives a flip... Where is the golden voices like Smokey Robinson?

Smokey was cool and didn't have to act like some douchebag saying he gets all the ladies with shades on in a dark nightclub.

:laugh:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, MTV was one of the stations that really kicked off the modern day reality television with The Road Rules and The Real World.

I know there were some shows before them but they really paved the way back in the early 90’s.

the popularity and success of those shows set MTV down the path.
What’s crazy is I just saw a commercial for a reboot of the original Real World New York cast (season 1).
I’m not sure how I feel about it. Time flies.

HungryLion

Reaction score
What’s crazy is I just saw a commercial for a reboot of the original Real World New York cast (season 1).

time definitely does fly.

the show might be quite different considering the age difference in the cast now. Instead of a bunch of young adults living the night life. Now they’re a bunch of middle aged people who probably need to remember to take their medication before going to bed. :laugh:

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score

Interesting. I really liked the first couple iterations of The Real World, before they just bunched up attractive divas who got drunk, fought and hooked up.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
MTV never made much money showing music videos, then the Reality TV fad started in 90's and they found they made more money from those Reality TV shows. They reduced the music videos shown for more Reality programming until the internet killed the need for music videos on TV altogether.
I remember when that M.T.V. channel first hit the scene,Man! You'd drop in to score some pocketable escape from bizzness associates & that would be on the T.V. 24/7, cable pirating was like supremely cool back then,too ,with a verbal network of " well, I know this one dude who for $300 bucks can hook you up ,but only on his weekends off from the cable company he works for*:yourock:

mldardy

Reaction score
Silly topic that makes no sense. Hip hop didn't kill off anything.