Did Rap Kill Off Soul Train, American Bandstand & MTV?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I remember when that M.T.V. channel first hit the scene,Man! You'd drop in to score some pocketable escape from bizzness associates & that would be on the T.V. 24/7, cable pirating was like supremely cool back then,too ,with a verbal network of " well, I know this one dude who for $300 bucks can hook you up ,but only on his weekends off from the cable company he works for*:yourock:
I knew that guy. For a bag of brownie seasoning he gave me a small aluminum cylinder that went inline between cable and tv and got me everything the cable co had to offer. Fair chance I might still have that thing in some box I've moved six times and never unpacked.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I knew that guy. For a bag of brownie seasoning he gave me a small aluminum cylinder that went inline between cable and tv and got me everything the cable co had to offer. Fair chance I might still have that thing in some box I've moved six times and never unpacked.
BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHA:lmao: nice to know I'm forum rolling with an admitted owl-hoot trail rider:thumbup:

:clap::star::clap:

:yourock::lmao2::yourock:

Big_D

Reaction score
Rap was huge during the MTV heyday with Yo MTV Raps. Run DMC and Aerosmith. etc many acts were doing well at the time. MTV killed MTV. Music videos became a thing of the past as they made the ridiculous move to reality TV and got away from what made the channel great in the first place.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
*yeah , that run dmc /aerosmith "WALK THIS WAY" music video was a real stunner in it's intrinsic coolness:thumbup:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
American Bandstand grew out of audiences that had listened heavily to the radio. There was literally no competition as people got like 3 channels.

Soul Train was born out of black dance clubs that were the rage of the 70s and 80s but fell off.

The 80 was just a terrible era of everything to me. Clothes were awful, music was awful and we were in a fake fight with Russia who was secretly broke.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
American Bandstand grew out of audiences that had listened heavily to the radio. There was literally no competition as people got like 3 channels.

Soul Train was born out of black dance clubs that were the rage of the 70s and 80s but fell off.

The 80 was just a terrible era of everything to me. Clothes were awful, music was awful and we were in a fake fight with Russia who was secretly broke.
*Hahahaha,Man! I hated the 80's*

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Timeless wonders of the entertainment industry. Good stuff.

Yeah! Got to see them live twice, unfortunately this was already after Maurice White was sick and stopped touring. I did get to take photos of one of their concerts though! I am an entertainment photographer and I used to shoot concerts all of the time.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yeah! Got to see them live twice, unfortunately this was already after Maurice White was sick and stopped touring. I did get to take photos of one of their concerts though! I am an entertainment photographer and I used to shoot concerts all of the time.
If you wouldn't mind sharing them, I would like to see those photos. They must have been great to see live. Great energy from that group.

jimmy40

Reaction score

lots of good music in the '80s and clothes were awful in the '80s?
I give you the '70s
Bell-bottoms.jpg

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
*Hahahaha,Man! I hated the 80's*
I will never understand the fascination with it. I was ages 7-16 in the 1980s and I just can't find anything at all special about that period.

Movies were dumbed down then mass marketed to appeal to the lowest common denominator to be big box office hits but the technology was poor.
Clothes were this mix of painfully boring and trying wayy too hard. Think Jamz and members only jackets.
Musically you had hair bands and a lot of olds hanging on.
Right at the start of the 80s Country Music lost it's Outlaw edge and started making homogenous Nashville stuff.
We had this trusting false safe concept so kids played outside and such but we had mass serial killers and weird pedos no one really knew about until it made national news like in Atlanta.
The Cowboys were horrible as they went through the downward spiral to Tom Landry's firing and bottoming out under Jimmy before the 90's dynasty.

Decades of my life ranked:
90s, 00s, 10s, 70s(was too young to enjoy it), 80s

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
lots of good music in the '80s and clothes were awful in the '80s?
I give you the '70s
Bell-bottoms.jpg

People in the 1970s wore clothes that fit and matched. Most of what people actually wore were flared bell-bottom jeans over tshirts or turtlenecks and things that have come back in style like 3 times since then.
The 80s was the year of baggy over skintight nonsense and random mismatched neon. Huge shoulder pads and Fishnet shirts and just terribly bad taste in everything or give up bland. Nothing was meant to fit right.
People have tried to bring 80s styles back into fashion and it fails every time because it is literally gross.

The 80s had a few things hit like the Air Jordans but The Bulls didn't win their first title til 1991 and the shoe-line was still in it's infancy in the 80s.