Did Rap Kill Off Soul Train, American Bandstand & MTV?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
lots of good music in the '80s and clothes were awful in the '80s?
I give you the '70s
Bell-bottoms.jpg
80s music is terrible imho.
You had Michael Jackson, Madonna, Whitney Houston and such so yes some absolutely marvelous talents.
But the large swath of it was just bad pop music meant to sell.
Everything was pop. Every style homogenized.
Nothing that sold had a real style.

The 90s gave us the tossing aside of all that pop nonsense with the rise of everything anti-cookie cutter.
Rap grew up.
90s best selling artists were Dr Dre, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, U2, Lauryn Hill.
I'd argue Country was still pretty generic with Garth/George but quality generic and didn't break out of the nashville mold until the 00s.

jimmy40

Reaction score
People in the 1970s wore clothes that fit and matched. Most of what people actually wore were flared bell-bottom jeans over tshirts or turtlenecks and things that have come back in style like 3 times since then.
The 80s was the year of baggy over skintight nonsense and random mismatched neon. Huge shoulder pads and Fishnet shirts and just terribly bad taste in everything or give up bland. Nothing was meant to fit right.
People have tried to bring 80s styles back into fashion and it fails every time because it is literally gross.

The 80s had a few things hit like the Air Jordans but The Bulls didn't win their first title til 1991 and the shoe-line was still in it's infancy in the 80s.
bell bottoms are just as stupid now as they were in the '70s, and where's all the polyester shirts with the huge collars and platform shoes? man that stuff was cool

jimmy40

Reaction score
You had Michael Jackson, Madonna, Whitney Houston and such so yes some absolutely marvelous talents.

The 90s gave us the tossing aside of all that pop nonsense with the rise of everything anti-cookie cutter.
Rap grew up.
90s best selling artists were Dr Dre, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, U2, Lauryn Hill.
I'd argue Country was still pretty generic with Garth/George but quality generic and didn't break out of the nashville mold until the 00s.
I remember U2 in the '80s, Garth killed country music, George and Garth should never be mentioned together

Michael Jackson, Madonna and Whitney Houston? no wonder you think music in the '80s sucked. Off the Wall was Michael's best but that was '79, I guess you could call that '80s.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
People in the 1970s wore clothes that fit and matched. Most of what people actually wore were flared bell-bottom jeans over tshirts or turtlenecks and things that have come back in style like 3 times since then.
The 80s was the year of baggy over skintight nonsense and random mismatched neon. Huge shoulder pads and Fishnet shirts and just terribly bad taste in everything or give up bland. Nothing was meant to fit right.
People have tried to bring 80s styles back into fashion and it fails every time because it is literally gross.

The 80s had a few things hit like the Air Jordans but The Bulls didn't win their first title til 1991 and the shoe-line was still in it's infancy in the 80s.
*They were aptly referred to as "elephant bell's" where the flairing pretty much covered the whole shoe & the lnseam was lengthed to slightly graze the ground as you walked.

** The "fashion" I do believe stemmed from some Navy's work day wear ,as it would be easier to "kick" outta' yer'trousers should you find yourself overboard at sea, reducing swimming drag& one's wieght ( and you could knot the legs,for an improvised water-wings/pontoon thingy )o_O

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
bell bottoms are just as stupid now as they were in the '70s, and where's all the polyester shirts with the huge collars and platform shoes? man that stuff was cool
* I give you the: "Leisure Suit",,,no, seriously ,you can have my turquoise colored oneo_O

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
No, just like older rap fans of my gen are mocking the trap/sound cloud era and do it too even while knowing it, etc. You either get down or you get old. MTV didn't make any money from music videos (rap or rock) and that was the root of their problem so did reality TV instead.

Personally I rarely watched MTV growing up outside of Beavis and Butthead and those were usually recorded on VHS by someone (bootleg heydays). It was made for suburban kids (rock) quite frankly and rarely attracted my attention unless a new music video was being shown there first as opposed to BET. So if it was, it wasn't by rap fans, we didn't even know what channel it was on lol

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You sound miserable because Deep down Rap takes little talent and you know it . You are miserable because your generation is less than others. Makes you envious which makes you jealous wanting to be respected as musicians.. No talent,no class,just trashy no sense of what class is your generation. Yeah your generation that is offended by Mr. Potatohead.. There is nothing lasting with your music. It's a video of some stupid dance any fool could learn in 30 seconds.... Yes sexy ladies from Soul Train not cartoonish butts of skanks from you're generation. Morons trying so hard to be cool. Who gives a flip... Where is the golden voices like Smokey Robinson?

Smokey was cool and didn't have to act like some douchebag saying he gets all the ladies with shades on in a dark nightclub.

SOME rap seems to take little talent. SOME rap is actually brilliant, with fantastic rhymes, social awareness, and inventive cadence. For instance, Eminem just keeps coming up with new, fresh music. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of most rap, and much of it is self serving crap, but good rappers have a lot of talent, and many of them can actually sing when they choose to.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Rap grew up.

Jane's Addiction, The Cult, The Cure, Love & Rockets, etc, for me the 80s music I loved then & still listen to today.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Growing up as a kid 80s they had dance shows on TV Soul Train & American Bandstand,and kids loved watching music videos on MTV also Club MTV even late night there was Night Tracks,but something happened about Mid 90s. Most shows which had been around for decades vanished. What happened? I believe Rap/ Hip Hop killed it off. Instead of sexy women dancing we got trashy Ho's grinding or twerking. Good dancing guys to morons wearing shades in a dark night club and wearing their hats on backwards like they were 10 years old acting like bada$$es....What happened to this. MTV has never been the same without music videos. Why watch MTV to watch 90s retread movies and a billionth episode of Ridiculousness.

So my question,WHAT HAPPENED?

When rap came out rappers were smarter and could write actual lyrics, and today rap lyrics would not win in a mentally re tarded poetry/lyric competition. Singing and musical instrumental playing has been declining.

Dumbing down of society. Critical thinking skills, common core, fluoride in the water, bad gmo and fertilized food, trash on tv, and pharmecuticals.

timb2

Reaction score

Rap grew up.
You forgot
Prince
Van Halen
Rick James
U2
The Police
Janet Jackson
Inxs
Big Country
The Fixx
Devo
The Gap Band
Ready for the World
Siouxsie and The Banshees
REM
Tom Petty
Joan Jett
Pat Benetar
Duran Duran
J. Geil's Band
Flock of Seagulls
Talk Talk
Sinead O'Connor
Dead or Alive
Quiet Riot
Def Leopard
ZZ Top
New Order
Erasure
Jody Whatley

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You forgot
Prince
Van Halen
Rick James
U2
The Police
Janet Jackson
Inxs
Big Country
The Fixx
Devo
The Gap Band
Ready for the World
Siouxsie and The Banshees
REM
Tom Petty
Joan Jett
Pat Benetar
Duran Duran
J. Geil's Band
Flock of Seagulls
Talk Talk
Sinead O'Connor
Dead or Alive
Quiet Riot
Def Leopard
ZZ Top
New Order
Erasure
Jody Whatley
Don't forget Guns N' Roses, the best of all 80's bands...Black Crowes...AC/DC in possibly their best era.

Passepartout

Reaction score
IMHO music was great from the 1950's-early 1990's there. As really it was about caring about the lyrics and in the music there. Now a days, not so much. No offense to fans that are those