Did Romo Audible

DABOYZ

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted. Per Jim Fassel (former Giants Coach) he doesn't think Romo completely audibled from a run play to a pass play on the 1st pick. He said the only two people that could have known Romo was going to pass the all were Romo and his receiver. Said the other 9 guys on the field were run blocking not pass blocking. Actually makes sense.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It wasn't an audible. It is an option play. The only guys who are in on it are the QB and the WR. The rest of the team is supposed to continue their run blocking no matter what the QB does. Every team does it and Romo has run it well many times. If I remember correctly he threw a TD to Beasley on a similar play in the Broncos game.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
It's called a shade. The QB has the option to hand off or throw the quick pass to the WR (in this case Austin). Only the WR and QB know that it is going to happen (well, they are the only ones who play it that way at least - the line probably knows it is supposed to happen, but is directed to run it the same either way).

All in all, Garrett can say what he wants - the offensive system is designed in a way that it's what Romo is supposed to do when he sees the line stacked. When the box is loaded, he is SUPPOSED to throw the ball, based on the decision that is coached in this system.

It should have been a better throw in that scenario, Romo can't throw that poorly and be a 100 million dollar QB. Got to either lead the WR or just throw it too far.

joseephuss

Reaction score
This will definitely confuse alot of people cause if it is built into the play then it falls squarely on JG knowing the situation.

You would need more information to make that definitive claim. Just because the pass option is available doesn't mean it has to be used. You can call the play and tell the QB to run the ball no matter what the defensive look. We don't know if that was part of the communication or not.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The mistake was when he tipped off Austin with a little nod. Made it obvious to the defense.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
You would need more information to make that definitive claim. Just because the pass option is available doesn't mean it has to be used. You can call the play and tell the QB to run the ball no matter what the defensive look. We don't know if that was part of the communication or not.

This is definitely a possibility, but based on 6 years worth of watching this team, I HAVE to believe that the coaching and strategy of the team is based on checking into whichever play the QB (Romo) believes will be most successful based on the defense presented. If that isn't, then Romo basically has ignored the coaching for that entire period of time.

rpntex

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted. Per Jim Fassel (former Giants Coach) he doesn't think Romo completely audibled from a run play to a pass play on the 1st pick. He said the only two people that could have known Romo was going to pass the all were Romo and his receiver. Said the other 9 guys on the field were run blocking not pass blocking. Actually makes sense.

It's not an audible, in the true sense of what we call an audible. It was a run play with a built in pass option. The line zone blocks regardless and Romo either decides to give the ball to Murray or throw the quick slant to the outside receiver. If he chooses the pass option, it's to be a 1-step drop and immediate slant. Matthews blew that up.

craig57

Reaction score
I heard Jaws say Romo was suppose to do a one step drop and throw to Austin, but instead made that move on the pass rusher and then threw the ball.Jaws thought Tony was trying to make a big play.

rpntex

Reaction score
The mistake was when he tipped off Austin with a little nod. Made it obvious to the defense.

It didn't matter. Clay Matthews rush got in the lane where he was supposed to throw. It was supposed to be a quick slant (Dallas calls it a "flash") on a 1-step drop, but Matthews came unblocked and was in the passing lane. Even so, Miles had an easy TD if Romo makes an accurate throw when he decided to throw it late.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
http://sturminator.blogspot.com/

go here, Sturm has video to explain this last play....... and how we have the best running game since before thanksgiving, and still Garrett goes away from the run!

They ran the exact same play 2 plays before, with a much different reaction by Matthews.

links18

Reaction score
Packers stacked the box, Romo saw the chance to ice the game, Matthews blew up the play, Romo adjusted, hurried the throw and it was a pick. What more is there to say?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The thing that struck me about that game was how much dissension there was on the team. Between the players and the Coaching Staff and just the players in General (Murray). At least twice, I saw what I perceived to be Romo yelling at Garrett. I don't know what's going on here but that was not a good sign at all IMO. I honestly feel as if that situation is strained. I didn't think this before the last few games but now, I think it might be true.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
No, I don't think that mattered. It was just a bad throw caused by not setting his feet.

This. The play would have been successful had the throw not been errant. I still think it should have been a run, though I would have preferred a run in a passing formation, but the play failed because of the throw.