Did Romo Audible

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't care what everyone says. Romo made the right call to throw it there. He made a bad throw. Nobody would have said a word in Romo would have placed that ball ahead of Austin. Romo spun and didn't get enough on the ball at that angle. A full step and that ball is complete.

Where are all you guys screaming we should never punt again? Where are you guys saying Garrett plays not to lose and that is costing us losses? Where are you guys screaming we should onside after every score?

Simple: No matter what we did, our D is just so bad, we were going to lose that game. If we ran, we lost, we passed and we lost. Our D is the issue, not Romo, not JG in this case. Our D is historically bad.

This is all well and good but the other side of that discussion is that if you are deciding to go hot, then you know that the blitz is coming and you know that you don't have a lot of time. You know that you can't afford to make an errant throw there and you know that if you do that, it probably costs you the lead. I understand he made a poor throw because he got pressure but it didn't have to be a hurried throw. Once he escaped the initial pressure, which was an amazing play for sure, he actually had time to set and throw. He didn't do that. He tried to snap one off while he was off balance and it was a poor throw. For that matter, you can simply decide not to throw and just hand it off and take the entire INT situation out of play.

Two sides to that argument for sure.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Romo and Witten were yelling at Garrett earlier because they kept Witten in to block and put Escobar in as the receiving tight end. The result was a dropped TD pass by Escobar. Goes back to drafting a TE who can't block.

Happened more then once but doesn't matter why. What matters is that it's happening during games and that's not good.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Packers stacked the box, Romo saw the chance to ice the game, Matthews blew up the play, Romo adjusted, hurried the throw and it was a pick. What more is there to say?

I think Broaddus noted that Escobar should have chipped Mathews but whiffed

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Proof to me that Garrett is a much bigger problem than anyone thinks, but he works cheap and let's Jerry push him around, so he stays.

Works cheap? He got 3 mill a year to be an OC -- he's likely among the top 10 or 15 highest paid HCs right now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The question will be (if and when we ever get a new HC), will we be willing to support the HC who comes in and benches Romo for calling a pass play when it should have been a run play?

Will we be willing to do that as a fan base or will we jump all over them at the very 1st opportunity when Tony is made to pay for those kinds of decisions?

I believe that Tony does audible to the pass way too much in situations where we have no business passing. Don't get me wrong, I believe that ultimately Garrett and even Jerry are more responsible because they won't reign him in but if measures are taken to correct the coaching situation, will you support that coach if it comes down to sitting Romo because of one of those decisions?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
The question will be (if and when we ever get a new HC), will we be willing to support the HC who comes in and benches Romo for calling a pass play when it should have been a run play?

Will we be willing to do that as a fan base or will we jump all over them at the very 1st opportunity when Tony is made to pay for those kinds of decisions?

I believe that Tony does audible to the pass way too much in situations where we have no business passing. Don't get me wrong, I believe that ultimately Garrett and even Jerry are more responsible because they won't reign him in but if measures are taken to correct the coaching situation, will you support that coach if it comes down to sitting Romo because of one of those decisions?

It would take more than one bad decision to sit him, but I would support the coach if he sat him due to bad decision making and being off all day.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Hopefully the new HC does not give Romo the option to pass on a run play.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think Broaddus noted that Escobar should have chipped Mathews but whiffed

Broaddus would be wrong. Escobar is supposed to block the backside defender(Mathews) from chasing down the run, but there is no way due to his initial alignment that Escobar was going to be able to chip Mathews if Romo chose the pass option. Esobar is lined up on the right side of the offense and then moves to the left at the snap of the ball. Since it is supposed to be a quick, one step drop and throw there is no time for Escobar to get over to the left side of the formation and block Mathews.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I've noticed it seems like Romo is throwing off balance far too often this year. Not setting his feet for the throw.

Yes, I agree he has gotten sloppy at times, which is an easy thing for him to do since he throws the ball from so many different platforms and angles. He needs to re-focus on the fundamentals.

sbark

Reaction score
ESPN Radio called it a flash play. They said GBay had 10 in the box..........I'd say in reality everyone on the offense knew it wasn't going to be handed off if Garrett is any kind of a coach with 10 in the box. Why wouldn't G.Bay have at least 9 in the box---Dallas only had WR Austin out.....maybe a safety deep, but they also thought any coach will milk the clock

Typically they expect the DE Matthews to instinctively follow Tyron down the line on the block---he made a "tape" play I'd say also knowing they had 10 in the box,as every team runs this formation.

The only way Escobar gets to Matthews is if he does a D.Ware and chases down the LOS. Romo did a Houdini getting away from Matthews, but thought just his quick release would get it to Austin, Will Sheilds showed good closing burst to the ball.

Now if we had shown a lot of Play action all game, and kept the look the same. Heck Get some defenders out of thebox with 2 wides---with then a safety deep, that leaves a max of 8 in the box. Get a fullback in there with which we were gashing G.Bay early and then run the ball like you mean it.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
ESPN Radio called it a flash play. They said GBay had 10 in the box..........I'd say in reality everyone on the offense knew it wasn't going to be handed off if Garrett is any kind of a coach with 10 in the box. Why wouldn't G.Bay have at least 9 in the box---Dallas only had WR Austin out.....maybe a safety deep, but they also thought any coach will milk the clock

Typically they expect the DE Matthews to instinctively follow Tyron down the line on the block---he made a "tape" play I'd say also knowing they had 10 in the box,as every team runs this formation.

The only way Escobar gets to Matthews is if he does a D.Ware and chases down the LOS. Romo did a Houdini getting away from Matthews, but thought just his quick release would get it to Austin, Will Sheilds showed good closing burst to the ball.

Now if we had shown a lot of Play action all game, and kept the look the same. Heck Get some defenders out of thebox with 2 wides---with then a safety deep, that leaves a max of 8 in the box. Get a fullback in there with which we were gashing G.Bay early and then run the ball like you mean it.

Coaching blew this game, period! The defense did it's usual thing by letting a team come back, and Romo blew the game by having the option to run or pass, again by the coaches.

sbark

Reaction score
Coaching blew this game, period! The defense did it's usual thing by letting a team come back, and Romo blew the game by having the option to run or pass, again by the coaches.

Yup a "team effort", but brought on by the scheme as a whole. There is a reason Aikman was under center a lot more....and showing play action and lead draws. Even if we don't have an Emmitt, it keeps the D from dictating --forcing an audible with 5 on the play clock on a big percent of downs. If Romo operates better in the gun'......well then that's an area he has to improve on. I wonder if the thinking has held over from the weak middle OLine yrs, but I see it as outliving its usefulness, unless they are content with the D dictating and jumping in and out of the box all play clock. More reason to keep building a dominante OLine even more and more.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yup a "team effort", but brought on by the scheme as a whole. There is a reason Aikman was under center a lot more....and showing play action and lead draws. Even if we don't have an Emmitt, it keeps the D from dictating --forcing an audible with 5 on the play clock on a big percent of downs. If Romo operates better in the gun'......well then that's an area he has to improve on. I wonder if the thinking has held over from the weak middle OLine yrs, but I see it as outliving its usefulness, unless they are content with the D dictating and jumping in and out of the box all play clock. More reason to keep building a dominante OLine even more and more.

Norv Turner didn't use the shotgun formation at all while in Dallas. Neither did Ernie Zampese.

sbark

Reaction score
Norv Turner didn't use the shotgun formation at all while in Dallas. Neither did Ernie Zampese.

hmmmm could've sworn a little............. but thanks.....so I should have said Aikman was under center a lot lot lot more...........:)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Broaddus would be wrong. Escobar is supposed to block the backside defender(Mathews) from chasing down the run, but there is no way due to his initial alignment that Escobar was going to be able to chip Mathews if Romo chose the pass option. Esobar is lined up on the right side of the offense and then moves to the left at the snap of the ball. Since it is supposed to be a quick, one step drop and throw there is no time for Escobar to get over to the left side of the formation and block Mathews.

I'll take Broaddus over you in terms of film study kid

khiladi

Reaction score
Miles was wide-open.. the problem wasn't the audible or option or whatever you want to call it, the problem was the throw. If Romo hits Miles Austin i his hands, your talking about a TD and a "hell yeah"

kirkjrk

Reaction score
The mistake was when he tipped off Austin with a little nod. Made it obvious to the defense.

Romo has done things like that quite often over the years. When the huddle breaks he will delay WR and quickly tell him something. A high percentage of the time he throws to that receiver or he, while still in the huddle, will put his hands on a RB,WR or TE's shoulder and talk directly to them. Guess who gets the ball on a high percentage of these plays. You got it the one he spoke with. Now if a novice like me notices this then you better believe the professionals do. Maybe when some of the teams say they know what play is coming they are referring to which player is going to get the ball.

Check it out next game, he will do it several times and doesn't try to hide it. If he had any sense he would have to know the other team is watching him do this, but he continues.