Did Romo Audible

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This. The play would have been successful had the throw not been errant. I still think it should have been a run, though I would have preferred a run in a passing formation, but the play failed because of the throw.

I think if it had been a run, I believe Murray runs right by the blitz and breaks into the secondary for a long gainer. JMO

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think if it had been a run, I believe Murray runs right by the blitz and breaks into the secondary for a long gainer. JMO

I think if he reads the LB blitzing, and goes backside, he is gone because they had so many men committed to stopping and all pursued across the formation.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Packers stacked the box, Romo saw the chance to ice the game, Matthews blew up the play, Romo adjusted, hurried the throw and it was a pick. What more is there to say?

Watching the tape, Romo's escape from Matthews was nothing less than amazing, Escobar did a good job of blocking Clay after Tony's initial Svengali move, an almost Alvin Harper game ender.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
I'm assuming that what everyone is saying is correct. The O-line was run bliocking. If that is in fact the case then look at the hole that was opened up on the right side of the line. Could have been a big run as well.

Wood

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted. Per Jim Fassel (former Giants Coach) he doesn't think Romo completely audibled from a run play to a pass play on the 1st pick. He said the only two people that could have known Romo was going to pass the all were Romo and his receiver. Said the other 9 guys on the field were run blocking not pass blocking. Actually makes sense.

I think Romo has admitted he audibled out of run. Can we just accept it and move on?

Nirvana

Reaction score
Key error was not motioning Escobar over to Matthews' side. He blew up the play.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
The thing that struck me about that game was how much dissension there was on the team. Between the players and the Coaching Staff and just the players in General (Murray). At least twice, I saw what I perceived to be Romo yelling at Garrett. I don't know what's going on here but that was not a good sign at all IMO. I honestly feel as if that situation is strained. I didn't think this before the last few games but now, I think it might be true.

Yeah, I wonder if they closed the locker room early because there were some epic meltdowns about to happen, stuff they didn't want the press to report.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
I think Romo has admitted he audibled out of run. Can we just accept it and move on?

I would totally accept it and yet I find it interesting that he said he audibled but reality is he didn't have to. It was already built into the play. What bothers me is that he and JG completely ignored the situation. Can't fix stupid.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Key error was not motioning Escobar over to Matthews' side. He blew up the play.

According to Sturm, Romo didn't want to signal that it was going to be a pass by motioning him. FWIW.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
The mistake was when he tipped off Austin with a little nod. Made it obvious to the defense.

Austin still got clean separation from the DB, and there was no safety help. Don't think they tipped off anyone.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I recall fans and reporters across the country saying Garrett threw Romo under the bus when he told the press the play was changed by Romo from a run to a pass. Kind of feel like I'm in another dimension here. Here's the PFT article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/15/on-key-interception-garrett-says-romo-changed-play/

"While Romo may have indeed changed the play, Garrett shouldn’t be calling him out publicly. By not handling it in house, Garrett may have invited a new level of dysfunction to Dallas."

Aren't there people who keep saying Garrett needs to call guys out publicly, like Parcells and Jimmy supposedly would?

Deep_South

Reaction score
"While Romo may have indeed changed the play, Garrett shouldn’t be calling him out publicly. By not handling it in house, Garrett may have invited a new level of dysfunction to Dallas."

Aren't there people who keep saying Garrett needs to call guys out publicly, like Parcells and Jimmy supposedly would?

That was Drudge's opinion. I just put the article up to show Garrett said Romo changed the play from pass to run from the beginning.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted. Per Jim Fassel (former Giants Coach) he doesn't think Romo completely audibled from a run play to a pass play on the 1st pick. He said the only two people that could have known Romo was going to pass the all were Romo and his receiver. Said the other 9 guys on the field were run blocking not pass blocking. Actually makes sense.

And it could be the reason why Romo threw the ball so quick. If he knew that all his linemen were run blocking, he knew they could be called for an illegal man downfield penalty if he held onto the ball any longer.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
The thing that struck me about that game was how much dissension there was on the team. Between the players and the Coaching Staff and just the players in General (Murray). At least twice, I saw what I perceived to be Romo yelling at Garrett. I don't know what's going on here but that was not a good sign at all IMO. I honestly feel as if that situation is strained. I didn't think this before the last few games but now, I think it might be true.

Didn't see that but I certainly saw what could only be described as utter disgust and rage on Murray's face. It's so funny to listen to Garrett and Co. preach about playing smart when he is constantly undermining his players' hard work by making some of the dumbest in-game decisions the NFL has ever seen.

Deep_South

Reaction score

Sorry, I should have said it was PFT's opinion, not Drudge. Missed the edit deadline.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
I don't care what everyone says. Romo made the right call to throw it there. He made a bad throw. Nobody would have said a word in Romo would have placed that ball ahead of Austin. Romo spun and didn't get enough on the ball at that angle. A full step and that ball is complete.

Where are all you guys screaming we should never punt again? Where are you guys saying Garrett plays not to lose and that is costing us losses? Where are you guys screaming we should onside after every score?

Simple: No matter what we did, our D is just so bad, we were going to lose that game. If we ran, we lost, we passed and we lost. Our D is the issue, not Romo, not JG in this case. Our D is historically bad.

beevomav

Reaction score

Romo and Witten were yelling at Garrett earlier because they kept Witten in to block and put Escobar in as the receiving tight end. The result was a dropped TD pass by Escobar. Goes back to drafting a TE who can't block.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
It didn't matter. Clay Matthews rush got in the lane where he was supposed to throw. It was supposed to be a quick slant (Dallas calls it a "flash") on a 1-step drop, but Matthews came unblocked and was in the passing lane. Even so, Miles had an easy TD if Romo makes an accurate throw when he decided to throw it late.

I don't blame Romo for much besides the two costly INTs at the end, but you gotta think how many potentially easy TDs got screwed up from bad throws by Romo. This pass to Austin, and I can name about 3 to Dez that were either too short or too long.