Did Romo Know It Was Fourth Down?... pics post#62

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
True Blue Nick Eatman Blog on dallascowboys.com

Did Romo Know It Was Fourth Down?
Posted by nickeatman at 10/5/2009 2:53 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com
[FONT=verdana,geneva]As if things weren’t already bad enough surrounding the Cowboys quarterback, who obviously struggled in Denver Sunday.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]But now the question has surfaced if Romo even knew his final pass to Sam Hurd Sunday was actually a fourth-down throw? Because of the short throw to Crayton on first down, and then the spike to stop the clock on second, Romo had just two more chances to fire the ball into the end zone.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]The question is did he know that? After his fourth-down toss, Romo didn’t immediately leave the field and in fact, he was telling his teammates to huddle up. He then pointed to the officials for clarification. It was probably then that he realized the series was over. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Now, Wade Phillips denied that Romo didn’t know it was fourth down. And since the quarterback didn’t talk to the media today, that question likely won’t be answered.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]But standing down there on the sidelines for the final two minutes, and with that possession occurring right in front of me, I did notice the offense staying on the field longer than usual on a change of possession. For a moment, it looked like there was a flag because they were waiting for answer. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]So, it’s unclear if that’s exactly what happened with Romo. If so, it would likely be yet another thing the quarterback will have to deal with this week. [/FONT]

http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blog...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

this is not my thought but when i read it i figured i would throw it out here
and see if anybody here thought Romo might not have known it was 4th down.

for what its worth I hated the spiking the ball and wasting a shot at the end zone.

wileedog

Reaction score
poke;2993770 said:
for what its worth I hated the spiking the ball and wasting a shot at the end zone.

They had to because this team takes twenty minutes to line up.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Does this surprise you? We can't hardly get to the line and get the plays off on time.
So what's wasting additional seconds and a down anyway?

I think it was a bad call on the Hurd catch that the officials didn't stop the clock, forcing Dallas to take a time out.

I can't understand that one, and the commentators should have explained that. How does an official rule that the clock should keep running when Hurd clearly got out of bounds?

That's a head scratcher. :huh:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It is kind of important to know what down it is there and you would think with him having a head set Garrett might of emphasized it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hey look theres more.

Sorry for severing both your legs, but we just checked and we need your arms too....sorry for the pain.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Maybe it had something to do with the pass interference on the play, and 1 second still left on the clock.

Any other moment in the game, and Bailey gets flagged for PI. The last time I checked, having your arm wrapped around a receiver's back before the ball gets there is an automatic PI call.

These Cowboys are not lucky enough to get such a call. Besides, the refs had flights to catch, and OT would screw up their travel plans.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2993781 said:
Does this surprise you? We can't hardly get to the line and get the plays off on time.
So what's wasting additional seconds and a down anyway?

I think it was a bad call on the Hurd catch that the officials didn't stop the clock, forcing Dallas to take a time out.

I can't understand that one, and the commentators should have explained that. How does an official rule that the clock should keep running when Hurd clearly got out of bounds?

That's a head scratcher. :huh:

The head scratcher was Hurd looking like he was taking a stroll in the park on that play. A WR worth a darn would have gotten out of bounds decisively, or scored on that play.

FWIW, the refs made the correct call, he was tackled in bounds.

Face the facts, we have a dumb team that doesn't understand situational football.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2993796 said:
The head scratcher was Hurd looking like he was taking a stroll in the park on that play. A WR worth a darn would have gotten out of bounds decisively, or scored on that play.

FWIW, the refs made the correct call, he was tackled in bounds.

He wasn't tackled at all. Bailey pushed him backward out of bounds. Hurd never went to the ground. It was the correct call, because the ref awarded him forward progress within the field of play.

Why we wasted a timeout after Hurd's long catch is a big question, too. When you need your timeouts to stop the clock, you can't waste them on taking a moment to strategize.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
theebs;2993788 said:
Hey look theres more.

Sorry for severing both your legs, but we just checked and we need your arms too....sorry for the pain.

not real sure what you're going for here, must have went over my head.

this was a question, from a writer on the cowboys official site.
i really wasn't watching the tv much after the last pass and i am asking if
other folks here might have seen something that would lead a person to
think that Romo didn't know it was 4th down.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
poke;2993827 said:
not real sure what you're going for here, must have went over my head.

this was a question, from a writer on the cowboys official site.
i really wasn't watching the tv much after the last pass and i am asking if
other folks here might have seen something that would lead a person to
think that Romo didn't know it was 4th down.

The personal pain of losing for us as fans.

Its not bad enough that we lost and look pretty average at best.

But if a story gets out that romo didnt know what down it was on the most critical moment of the game....the heckling and nonsense will be at a ridiculous level.

So more pain for us.

cowboy4eva

Reaction score
goshan;2993774 said:
who cares
Yes, no biggie that our QB may have had no clue that the last pass he threw was deciding the game. Seriously who cares that the leader might have done that!

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Problem was we had to burn the timeout before Chump's INT two minutes into the half. I remember saying at the time that I hated burning a time out that earlier. If we have that timeout, we get one more play at the end zone.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
cowboy4eva;2993839 said:
Yes, no biggie that our QB may have had no clue that the last pass he threw was deciding the game. Seriously who cares that the leader might have done that!

problem is the assumption is that somehow it would have made a difference and we all know it would not have.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2993891 said:
Problem was we had to burn the timeout before Chump's INT two minutes into the half. I remember saying at the time that I hated burning a time out that earlier. If we have that timeout, we get one more play at the end zone.

I had almost forgotten this nugget. We blow a timeout, and the players still dont know what routes they are running. Another massive indictment on Jason and his group.

Mash

Reaction score
Once again....

Players being accountable and knowing the situation......

Sometimes I wonder if we constantly have to spoon feed these million dollar babies...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2993891 said:

At least there was a legitimate reason for calling that timeout, although it was our own ineptitude that created it.

There was no good reason for calling our second timeout.

rkell87

Reaction score
ugh...instead of *****ing and ****ing on the QB just because..... I'll answer the OP. i saw that too and I'm pretty sure romo was looking for a pass interference. most people would have thought it was automatic, thats why he was getting the team ready for another play then looked to the ref.

edit*** it's amazing that fans of all people would rather believe the QB...OUR QB...is incompetent enough to not realize it was 4th down, than looking for the right, or even another more plausible answer.

Mash

Reaction score
rkell87;2993930 said:
ugh...instead of *****ing and ****ing on the QB just because..... I'll answer the OP. i saw that too and I'm pretty sure romo was looking for a pass interference. most people would have thought it was automatic, thats why he was getting the team ready for another play then looked to the ref.

edit*** it's amazing that fans of all people would rather believe the QB...OUR QB...is incompetent enough to not realize it was 4th down, than looking for the right, or even another more plausible answer.

Well....after seeing that McFlabb didnt know that the first score wins the game in OT....being a vet and all...

anything is possiable :)

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
theebs;2993788 said:
Hey look theres more.

:laugh2: