Did the coaching staff ruin Chaz Green?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be, but A.C. beat him several times with the exact same move. No trickery or stunts. Chaz just failed to adjust at all to it.
Think Clayborn even admitted that he just did the same thing over and over with success. That's on the positional and O.C. to find a way to help Green and not leave him alone on the edge.
I think he can be a backup level player, but not so sure you can rely on him at LT. We'll see how he looks after Alexander gets some time with him and if he sticks.

I agree - it was ugly. It's hard to fathom that he couldn't adjust and at least do a little better as the game went on. I'm just saying that he had done okay before, so I don't know if one game is enough to condemn him. The one game was certainly bad enough that I think it will take quite a bit to earn his way back out of the hole he dug for himself, and he may not be able to do it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we would be foolish to ever rely on him again.

For 1.. He's just an unreliable player. Even if he was Larry Allen he does us no good if he is always injured.

Then he almost gives up a NFL sack record? Think about that.

He can stay on the team and fight for a spot but Dallas would be fools to go into next season relying on Tyron to play 16 games with Chaz Green as their backup plan.

I agree that he shouldn't be the sole option to back up Tyron. Even though it was only one game, that one game was much too scary to feel good about him being one injury away from being the primary guy protecting Dak's blind side.

CWR

Reaction score
I don't know what happened but he went from a solid offensive lineman to the worst football player I think I've ever seen in 1 game.

From what I heard they wanted him at Guard. They trained him for guard, he gained strength and maybe lost speed as well. Then they crammed him in at guard where he wasnt any good. He lost his reps at tackle and just when he was entirely unprepared they brought him in at tackle.

Sounds to me like the coaches didnt do him any favors.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chaz Green was taken in the 3rd round of the 2015 draft at pick 91 which is a premium pick. I did not like the pick at all. For me it wasn't his lack of talent, the guy had talent, it was he could not stay healthy. From high school through college I believe he missed around 1/3 of his starts with a laundry list of injuries. It wasn't like he had a bad knee, shoulder, etc. He had 10+ injuries all over, foot, groin, shoulder, etc. Once again it seems as if the Cowboys drafted a player with a high grade while ignoring his troubling history of injuries. Sure enough he got hurt in his first training camp and missed a lot of time in his first 2 years dealing with various injuries.

With all that said, in 2016 when Tyron missed those 2 games Green came in and did a pretty good job IMO. No one is Tyron but I didn't hold my breath on every snap. Green showed ability and even though he was made of glass at least he was an adequate reserve/swing tackle if healthy.

Fast forward to training camp in 2017 and the Cowboys are trying to figure out how to replace Leary at LG. The coaching staff made an awful decision IMO to try to put Green in at LG. A position that he had never played at any level. Everyone knows the difference in mechanics, technique, etc. is night and day compared to playing tackle. It takes a lot of reps and practice to even attempt the switch unless you are just a superior talent both physically and mentally. So what happens? Sure enough Green gets hurt and Cooper is given the job. So now what do the Cowboys do? They decide that Green despite trying to learn a new position and not getting any reps at tackle, will have no problem re-adjusting to playing LT on the fly if Tryon is hurt. We all know what happened at Atlanta.

I am not absolving Green of what happened at Atlanta. That was all time bad. But I just find it hard to believe that a guy who was a pretty serviceable backup tackle was/is now suddenly Rob Petitti bad. Since he is still under his rookie contract and has never played another snap since what is the plan for this guy? Is he just going to dress out but never play and take up a valuable spot on the 45 man game day roster? I'm not sticking up for this guy as far as thinking he is anything special, but I also think that this coaching staff ruined any chance this guy had to contribute on a team that has no depth, by trying to convert him to guard so they could get the "best 5 guys" on the field.
you answered your own question in the opening line.
the guy couldn't ever be healthy in college and has not played at a high level for any extended period of time above high school.

he is the one guy dallas has missed on along the ol so safe to say he is in fact the outlier.

maybe if he is in a set position and gets experience he earns his r3 grade long-term but he has been awful thus far.
can't blame dallas for trying to get him experience he badly needs but can blame them for him allowing 5 sacks vs atl because he shoulda been yanked at 2 maximum.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly call it a variable when you select a player w/ a long injury history and he continues to get injured.
I'll never understand why draft somebody with a history of injuries like that, and Green wasn't that good even when he was healthy.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
He sucked last season but the main problem with the o line is the 2 people they let walk that is what screwed up the o line

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm expecting the team to spend a draft pick at some point this year to acquire a backup and even a potential starter to man the OT positions if and when needed. Both Tyron and La'el have been hit with injuries last season that may well inspire the organization to find a capable backup in the draft. Neither of our OT positions would be wise to neglect in the event of injuries to the starters.

DAL1180

Reaction score
No...I don't think so. I think he just didn't pan out. He wasn't great coming out of Florida, although the potential was there. Injuries kept him from working on his craft day in and day out in college and in Dallas.
Love the avatar by the way. Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling!

glimmerman

Reaction score
Watched him play the position before and everybody said he did a pretty good job. He had a bad game and the staff left him out to dry. Even after JG said during a halftime interview they were going to get him help and they didn’t do it. They hurt this kids development. Just another example of lack of adjustments from your HC.

And by the way they got Dak killed in the process. Which hurt the whole Offense down the road. Huge ripple effect. Wonder why Dak had happy feet and was throwing off. Hmmm...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure what happened with him. Hopefully it was injury and we can count on him to be the swing tackle this year. Not holding my breath on that.
I think we can count on him to be the swinging door tackle. He didn't even have time to give a Prescott a shout out on those "look out" blocks.

I've never gotten the Chaz love, he is not a quality OL, if he can stay healthy. And it begins with that sillyass tennis name, he needs to take the field with a white sweater draped around his shoulders.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think we can count on him to be the swinging door tackle. He didn't even have time to give a Prescott a shout out on those "look out" blocks.

I've never gotten the Chaz love, he is not a quality OL, if he can stay healthy. And it begins with that sillyass tennis name, he needs to take the field with a white sweater draped around his shoulders.
No CC. Sweater tied around his waist. Lol. When healthy he is a depth player. He is not a starter. I thought he could develope but not outside. We could use him inside and get by.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Who said he is ruined? One bad half?

Doug free didn’t play until the end of his third year.

Little soon to say he is ruined

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Chaz Green was taken in the 3rd round of the 2015 draft at pick 91 which is a premium pick. I did not like the pick at all. For me it wasn't his lack of talent, the guy had talent, it was he could not stay healthy. From high school through college I believe he missed around 1/3 of his starts with a laundry list of injuries. It wasn't like he had a bad knee, shoulder, etc. He had 10+ injuries all over, foot, groin, shoulder, etc. Once again it seems as if the Cowboys drafted a player with a high grade while ignoring his troubling history of injuries. Sure enough he got hurt in his first training camp and missed a lot of time in his first 2 years dealing with various injuries.

With all that said, in 2016 when Tyron missed those 2 games Green came in and did a pretty good job IMO. No one is Tyron but I didn't hold my breath on every snap. Green showed ability and even though he was made of glass at least he was an adequate reserve/swing tackle if healthy.

Fast forward to training camp in 2017 and the Cowboys are trying to figure out how to replace Leary at LG. The coaching staff made an awful decision IMO to try to put Green in at LG. A position that he had never played at any level. Everyone knows the difference in mechanics, technique, etc. is night and day compared to playing tackle. It takes a lot of reps and practice to even attempt the switch unless you are just a superior talent both physically and mentally. So what happens? Sure enough Green gets hurt and Cooper is given the job. So now what do the Cowboys do? They decide that Green despite trying to learn a new position and not getting any reps at tackle, will have no problem re-adjusting to playing LT on the fly if Tryon is hurt. We all know what happened at Atlanta.

I am not absolving Green of what happened at Atlanta. That was all time bad. But I just find it hard to believe that a guy who was a pretty serviceable backup tackle was/is now suddenly Rob Petitti bad. Since he is still under his rookie contract and has never played another snap since what is the plan for this guy? Is he just going to dress out but never play and take up a valuable spot on the 45 man game day roster? I'm not sticking up for this guy as far as thinking he is anything special, but I also think that this coaching staff ruined any chance this guy had to contribute on a team that has no depth, by trying to convert him to guard so they could get the "best 5 guys" on the field.

Chaz Green ruined Chaz Green. Don't blame the coaching staff for giving him an opportunity to earn a starting job, which he promptly blew.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Who said he is ruined? One bad half?

Doug free didn’t play until the end of his third year.

Little soon to say he is ruined
Sorry. He is ruined!! He wasn’t that good any way and psychologically after the beating Garrett allowed him to take for 3 and a half quarters Green is done. Release him today.