Did the Cowboys get the best QB in the draft?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I believe so.

Did I believe so on draft day? No.

Did I believe he was a steal when we got him where we got him? An unequivocal yes.

Shut the front door. Don't look any further. Develop this guy and then watch him shine when Romo bows out.

He reminds me of a young Donovan McNabb. So majestic in his flow. So cool under pressure. So fluid in leading his team into the end zone by any means necessary...

Sure. he hasn't really seen much in terms of complex schemes and teams game planning for him (yet)... But, on the flip side, no rookie QB has come in and taken the game but storm from snap 1 since... who? I can't recall the last time.

This guy looks like the prototypical beast at QB. Sure, some will say JaMarcus Russell was an all star in the preseason. JRuss also had some not so prototypical qualities about him (ie. small hands, weight issues, questions about his ability to progress through multiple reads).

I'm so excited about this dude folks.

Zeke is the FREAK & Dak is the MACK!

Lastly, I am going to go off of the script (because you know I like to) and say Showers would actually look very good if he didn't have 3s all around him. I like Showers too.

superonyx

Reaction score
Yea...I have to agree with Teague31... McNabb was inaccurate. They used to say in philly that the WR's had to practice wearing socks on their hands because McNabb always threw the ball at their feet...

I don't really know who to compare him to at this point...
He has shown field command and a great ability to make reads. The game looks like it's moving slow for him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's definitely helping Dak with all the Reps he's getting with the first team in practice with all of Romo's rest days and for the most part he's performed in the games with the first team .

We have a very talented offense which should make any QB look better than he possibly is.

That said, Dak has looked poised and not like a Rookie. He does have some talent . A big arm who looks like can make all of the throws with pocket presence and mobility.

Last night though once the 2nd team came in he did make a couple of mistakes which could have been costly turnovers.

Next week in Seattle is Dress Rehearsal for the starters . We should then see Dak more with the 2nd team which might make him look more like A 4th rd Rookie.

Good news is we might actually have a QB to develop as heir apparent and in the event if Romo goes down a backup QB we can win with now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Showers looks like a normal QB3 to me. I like him, but that's about it.

I can't see how Dak isn't considered the QB steal of the draft at this point. Nobody else can touch him, really. We're already past the point where you weigh college potential more heavily than production in the pros as far as I'm concerned. When the lights come on, the board resets. Some players might continue to develop and surpass what Dak is doing eventually, but he's the lead-dog right now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I can't see how Dak isn't considered the QB steal of the draft at this point. Nobody else can touch him, really. We're already past the point where you weigh college potential more heavily than production in the pros as far as I'm concerned. When the lights come on, the board resets. Some players might continue to develop and surpass what Dak is doing eventually, but he's the lead-dog right now.

I asked this in the chat last night..

If there was a re-draft tomorrow where does Dak go? Easily first round I believe.. How far up in the first round could he go?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Correct. That big midget was offensive.
McNabb was the best QB in our division for almost a decade. He was the most dominating QB in their best era leading them to 4 conference championships and a SB appearance.

Im not a Donovan fan but that is not a comparison to be taken lightly even given our hatred of the Philly.

bark

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Diehardblues, post: 6759857, member: 39111"]It's definitely helping Dak with all the Reps he's getting with the first team in practice with all of Romo's rest days and for the most part he's performed in the games with the first team .

We have a very talented offense which should make any QB look better than he possibly i
s.

That said, Dak has looked poised and not like a Rookie. He does have some talent . A big arm who looks like can make all of the throws with pocket presence and mobility.

Last night though once the 2nd team came in he did make a couple of mistakes which could have been costly turnovers.

Next week in Seattle is Dress Rehearsal for the starters . We should then see Dak more with the 2nd team which might make him look more like A 4th rd Rookie.

Good news is we might actually have a QB to develop as heir apparent and in the event if Romo goes down a backup QB we can win with now.[/QUOTE]

Sure didn't seem to help the crew we had doing the work in romo's absence last yr

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best QB?

No, but I felt he was being sold short by a lot of folks.

Keep this mind, coming into the 2015 college season, Ourlads had Dak Prescott as the #1 QB in the country.

So it's not like there weren't people out there on his bandwagon.

But you know what happened, I think there was so legit good play but there was also some "smoke & mirrors" that caused Wentz to skyrocket up the draft boards.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I asked this in the chat last night..

If there was a re-draft tomorrow where does Dak go? Easily first round I believe.. How far up in the first round could he go?

He looks like the best QB in the draft to me. He's shown more than top picks overall usually show in preseason, right? I know it sounds crazy, but: Prescott or Goff? Who you got?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Diehardblues, post: 6759857, member: 39111"]It's definitely helping Dak with all the Reps he's getting with the first team in practice with all of Romo's rest days and for the most part he's performed in the games with the first team .

We have a very talented offense which should make any QB look better than he possibly i
s.

Good news is we might actually have a QB to develop as heir apparent and in the event if Romo goes down a backup QB we can win with now.

Sure didn't seem to help the crew we had doing the work in romo's absence last yr[/QUOTE]

The playcalling for Dak in the preseason is 10 times better than what we saw last year.

The run run pass offense was awful and by the looks of it they might finally be evolving from a playcalling standpoint.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see a lot of comparison between Dak and McNabb.

Now if you said Warren Moon or Steve McNair, then I think you'd be closer.

In a uniform Prescott doesn't resemble McNabb's body type.

And I'll say it right now... I think Prescott throws a better medium ball than McNabb.

MileyDancer

Reaction score

I read after these 2 games, his QBR is 153.8!

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying... Barf.

It's hard for me to make a comparison right now.. Russell Wilson seems like the easy choice. He's got a better build than Wilson but he runs the offense the same way Wilson does.

I was thinking the same thing. Dak doesn't seem to slide around in the pocket as well as Wilson at this point, but he does have a feel for when to run and when not to. Dak showed some wheels on his TD run.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He looks like the best QB in the draft to me. He's shown more than top picks overall usually show in preseason, right? I know it sounds crazy, but: Prescott or Goff? Who you got?

With all of the information that is currently available there is no way I could take Goff over Prescott. It might be a huge mistake by me but Prescott has the physical tools and he's a playmaker at the QB position.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
Sure didn't seem to help the crew we had doing the work in romo's absence last yr

The playcalling for Dak in the preseason is 10 times better than what we saw last year.

The run run pass offense was awful and by the looks of it they might finally be evolving from a playcalling standpoint.[/QUOTE]

I think this is causality. Alfred Morris is chewing up huge chunks of yards on first and second down. This makes all the other downs manageable and the play-action super effect. Morris is killing it in preseason and it makes the play calling look much better. This is kind of like when Murray was getting yards.