Did the Cowboys get the best QB in the draft?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure didn't seem to help the crew we had doing the work in romo's absence last yr

The playcalling for Dak in the preseason is 10 times better than what we saw last year.

The run run pass offense was awful and by the looks of it they might finally be evolving from a playcalling standpoint.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The play-calling is better.

But you still need to be able execute the pass plays that are called...

The Those back-shoulder passes have been spot-on and those are big-boy passes.

That long pass last night was a 9/10 in my book. He knew he had to put some air under the ball in order for it to drop into the receiver.

And that pump-fake on the run was a thing of beauty.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak was a Heisman hopeful early on last year .
I'm a huge college football fan. He led Miss St to their first ever #1 ranking in school history.

Best QB in best conference. A conference known more for its defense and running game.

Dak also ran the ball quite a bit. Over 500 carries without looking it up . Never know if it will translate to NFL.

It's his poise and confidence which are often difficult to predict or measure. But playing in SEC he's used to 100, 000 crowds and on a big stage.

This situation is definitely helping and progressing him with the first team too.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If he is compared to any Philthy QB, I would go with Cunningham, not McFlub, minus the punting part :laugh:

bark

Reaction score
Sure didn't seem to help the crew we had doing the work in romo's absence last yr

The playcalling for Dak in the preseason is 10 times better than what we saw last year.

from a playcalling standpoint.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this for the most part but I believe dak's skill set has something to do w that as well. Let's face it, the greatest play caller of all time couldn't have helped salvage that mess we trotted out there last yr

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all of the information that is currently available there is no way I could take Goff over Prescott. It might be a huge mistake by me but Prescott has the physical tools and he's a playmaker at the QB position.

It's crazy, but you can't overlook the new evidence.

This guy was MVP of the Senior Bowl, too. The signs were there, sort of. It's just really impressive how far he's come, how fast.

Somebody said it in chat: his level of play reminds you of RGIII's rookie preseason where he was just lights out. That might be a sobering comparison, but that's how it goes sometimes. Either way, he's delivering in the field the way the other rookie QBs are not.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Yea...I have to agree with Teague31... McNabb was inaccurate. They used to say in philly that the WR's had to practice wearing socks on their hands because McNabb always threw the ball at their feet...

I don't really know who to compare him to at this point...
He has shown field command and a great ability to make reads. The game looks like it's moving slow for him.
As far as comps go, I see some Roger the Dodger, some Fran Tarkenton, some Marino, some Montana, a little bit of Aikman, some Brady and Brees, and some Tony. Other than that, he really doesn't remind me of anyone in particular. :)

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he is compared to any Philthy QB, I would go with Cunningham, not McFlub, minus the punting part :laugh:

He has a similar body type to McNabb but McNabb was a dink and dunk QB that looked for the homerun.

The Cowboys offense has looked more like Seattles offense IMO with Prescott.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Dak could be the best, we just don't know. Warren Moon and Russel Wilson weren't considered the best but looking back in their era it can be debated.

Thus far it's not close, between Lynch, yes Cordale Jones and Dak , then the rest.

Vs Seattle this Thurs. will be a true test. However, the Rams and Miami were supposedly legit Ds before the Cowboys ate their lunch.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He has a similar body type to McNabb but McNabb was a dink and dunk QB that looked for the homerun.

The Cowboys offense has looked more like Seattles offense IMO with Prescott.

Yea, but I am not comparing body types, more so for throwing ability and evasiveness while also being able to fling it on the fly.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
McNabb was the best QB in our division for almost a decade. He was the most dominating QB in their best era leading them to 4 conference championships and a SB appearance.

Im not a Donovan fan but that is not a comparison to be taken lightly even given our hatred of the Philly.
Thanks. Yeah. I placed my intense hatred of McFlabb aside when making that comparison and I knew I would get blasted for it..lol... But that's what I see in Dak. All the tools McFlabb had when at his best.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak could be the best, we just don't know. Warren Moon and Russel Wilson weren't considered the best but looking back in their era it can be debated.

Thus far it's not close, between Lynch, yes Cordale Jones and Dak , then the rest.

How has Brisset done for New England?

I've heard nothing about Hackenberg and Connor Cook either.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
It's crazy, but you can't overlook the new evidence.

This guy was MVP of the Senior Bowl, too. The signs were there, sort of. It's just really impressive how far he's come, how fast.

Somebody said it in chat: his level of play reminds you of RGIII's rookie preseason where he was just lights out. That might be a sobering comparison, but that's how it goes sometimes. Either way, he's delivering in the field the way the other rookie QBs are not.

RGIII's problem was the beating, and resulting injuries he took, playing in that read option offense. Dak won't be taking that type of beating.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Diehardblues, post: 6759857, member: 39111"]It's definitely helping Dak with all the Reps he's getting with the first team in practice with all of Romo's rest days and for the most part he's performed in the games with the first team .

We have a very talented offense which should make any QB look better than he possibly i
s.

That said, Dak has looked poised and not like a Rookie. He does have some talent . A big arm who looks like can make all of the throws with pocket presence and mobility.

Last night though once the 2nd team came in he did make a couple of mistakes which could have been costly turnovers.

Next week in Seattle is Dress Rehearsal for the starters . We should then see Dak more with the 2nd team which might make him look more like A 4th rd Rookie.

Good news is we might actually have a QB to develop as heir apparent and in the event if Romo goes down a backup QB we can win with now.

Sure didn't seem to help the crew we had doing the work in romo's absence last yr[/QUOTE]
Right! Compare this year's backup crop to last year's & it's not even a fair comparison. Sorry Floaty.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

The run run pass offense was awful and by the looks of it they might finally be evolving from a playcalling standpoint.
How is it so vastly different? Linehan is still working his magic. What changed?

Let me answer my own question...

Exit the RBBC lameness that haunted my soul last year and the dregs that comprised it (DMac & Pantie Thief).

Enter some real RB talent... (Morris & the FREAK)

Now suddenly the play calling looks different and dynamic.. Much like what we had in 2014 with DeMarco. HMMMMM

Last edited:

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

The run run pass offense was awful and by the looks of it they might finally be evolving from a playcalling standpoint.

Agreed. The play-calling is better.

But you still need to be able execute the pass plays that are called...

The Those back-shoulder passes have been spot-on and those are big-boy passes.

That long pass last night was a 9/10 in my book. He knew he had to put some air under the ball in order for it to drop into the receiver.

And that pump-fake on the run was a thing of beauty.[/QUOTE]
He also does a great job of selling play action, IMO.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think some forget until maybe the very end leading up to the draft, many (including Dallas) thought Dak was a 2nd round talent.

There were several that could have lower or higher after the 1st round and it came down to the teams preferences.

We don't know for sure yet, but it sure looks like Dallas got lucky.
And Dak landed in a great situation...win-win.

Heck, the guy taken soon after Dak, Cardale Jones, has looked really good too.

The one consistent thing I've been saying all along is that I think the odds are high that a QB taken after Goff and Wentz this year, will be better than one or both of them. Guess we'll see in a few years.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all of the information that is currently available there is no way I could take Goff over Prescott. It might be a huge mistake by me but Prescott has the physical tools and he's a playmaker at the QB position.

I wouldn't take Wentz over him either... Big, big difference in the level of competition.

Aven8

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying... Barf.

It's hard for me to make a comparison right now.. Russell Wilson seems like the easy choice. He's got a better build than Wilson but he runs the offense the same way Wilson does.

I think he reminds me of Russell as well. Cool and calm and a leader. Wilson in his rookie season took over and never looked back.

I love Tony, but now I hate to see this kid sit on the bench for 2 years possibly?? If he keeps it up however we will have gone from the worst backup position to the very best!