Did the Cowboys get the best QB in the draft?

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I think some forget until maybe the very end leading up to the draft, many (including Dallas) thought Dak was a 2nd round talent.

There were several that could have lower or higher after the 1st round and it came down to the teams preferences.

We don't know for sure yet, but it sure looks like Dallas got lucky.
And Dak landed in a great situation...win-win.

Heck, the guy taken soon after Dak, Cardale Jones, has looked really good too.

The one consistent thing I've been saying all along is that I think the odds are high that a QB taken after Goff and Wentz this year, will be better than one or both of them. Guess we'll see in a few years.

The Pre-Draft glory for Wetz was just humiliating for all of those sucked into the void, it seems Dallas and Garrett knew the unreal expectations all along having coached him in the Senior bowl, good thing Philly didn't know it was merely hype machine.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
The playcalling for Dak in the preseason is 10 times better than what we saw last year.

The run run pass offense was awful and by the looks of it they might finally be evolving from a playcalling standpoint.

Agreed. The play-calling is better.

But you still need to be able execute the pass plays that are called...

The Those back-shoulder passes have been spot-on and those are big-boy passes.

That long pass last night was a 9/10 in my book. He knew he had to put some air under the ball in order for it to drop into the receiver.

And that pump-fake on the run was a thing of beauty.
Not just the pump fake on the run but also the pointing to simulate directing traffic. Both ultimately opened up a huge Lane for him to waltz into the end zone. Majestic.

Last edited:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The best QB?

No, but I felt he was being sold short by a lot of folks.

Keep this mind, coming into the 2015 college season, Ourlads had Dak Prescott as the #1 QB in the country.

So it's not like there weren't people out there on his bandwagon.

But you know what happened, I think there was so legit good play but there was also some "smoke & mirrors" that caused Wentz to skyrocket up the draft boards.

Really, I had no idea. Wonder what made him drop from that position? He did win the MVP in the senior bowl too.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Screens, bootlegs, slants, misdirection, playactions, first down diversity.
So Linehan magically reinvented himself in one offseason? I disagree. The difference here is we actually have a super dynamic running game that is only going to get better. Darius Jackson & Alfred Morris have been beasts and adding Zeke to that is just unfair to the rest of the league. It is the significant changes in the backfield that has allowed Linehan to look so "different" this year.

if I am DMac or Dunbar, I'm very worried right now.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I believe so.

Did I believe so on draft day? No.

Did I believe he was a steal when we got him where we got him? An unequivocal yes.

Shut the front door. Don't look any further. Develop this guy and then watch him shine when Romo bows out.

He reminds me of a young Donovan McNabb. So majestic in his flow. So cool under pressure. So fluid in leading his team into the end zone by any means necessary...

Sure. he hasn't really seen much in terms of complex schemes and teams game planning for him (yet)... But, on the flip side, no rookie QB has come in and taken the game but storm from snap 1 since... who? I can't recall the last time.

This guy looks like the prototypical beast at QB. Sure, some will say JaMarcus Russell was an all star in the preseason. JRuss also had some not so prototypical qualities about him (ie. small hands, weight issues, questions about his ability to progress through multiple reads).

I'm so excited about this dude folks.

Zeke is the FREAK & Dak is the MACK!

Lastly, I am going to go off of the script (because you know I like to) and say Showers would actually look very good if he didn't have 3s all around him. I like Showers too.

There are a few qualities that make Dak stand out, IMHO: poise, maturity, pocket awareness, mobility. But the one that smacks me in the face is incredible A-C-C-U-R-A-C-Y. That's something of which McNabb will never be accused, BTW.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really, I had no idea. Wonder what made him drop from that position? He did win the MVP in the senior bowl too.

Here's what Ourlads says about the kid...

"A natural leader who is durable and tough. Poised, athletic, instinctive, and smart with good field vision. Has good vertical arm strength when called on to pass downfield.

Has a quick release with accuracy in the short and intermediate game. Shows accuracy on the move outside the pocket. Has good vision, always keeping his eyes down the field.

Despite his natural running ability, he is first a passer who moves well in the picket. This past fall the Bulldog line was a team weakness, yet Prescott answered the bell time and time again after being pressured and sacked, particularly versus Alabama and Mississippi.
With a new center, the shotgun snaps were all over the place, but the veteran quarterback handled the snaps calmly with no panic and played with confidence. Has a good football IQ that he transfers his knowledge to the field.

Smooth, easy, and effortless in his get away from center a the Combine and Senior Bowl. Had a string of 288 passes without an interception. Has all the physical tools and mental capabilities to make the transition to the NFL and earn a starting position. Second/Third round."

To me that matches up 100% with what we've seen so far.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So Linehan magically reinvented himself in one offseason? I disagree. The difference here is we actually have a super dynamic running game that is only going to get better. Darius Jackson & Alfred Morris have been beasts and adding Zeke to that is just unfair to the rest of the league. It is the significant changes in the backfield that has allowed Linehan to look so "different" this year.

if I am DMac or Dunbar, I'm very worried right now.

Did you not watch last season? The playcalls are drastically different so far.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Did you not watch last season? The playcalls are drastically different so far.
Every single game like the sucker for punishment that I am. the running game is nails right now and that is contributing to a significant difference in offensive strategy.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I wish the preseason play calling carried over into the regular season. I know that teams are playing base defenses against us, but still the play calling is good.

In regards to Dak, the national media isn't talking much about it ( NFL network/espn), but he has to be the gem of the draft so far...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Every single game like the sucker for punishment that I am. the running game is nails right now and that is contributing to a significant difference in offensive strategy.

The running schemes are the same.. It's the pass plays that we're using off of it.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Not just the pump fake on the run but also the pointing to simulate directing traffic. Both ultimately opened up a huge Lane for him to waltz into the end zone. Majestic.
Farve like majestic...of course the #4 on his jersey didn't hurt as that scenario evolved, but there are similarities as you watch their game.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the play calling may be different but talent really makes a huge difference.

ghst187

Reaction score
Yea...I have to agree with Teague31... McNabb was inaccurate. They used to say in philly that the WR's had to practice wearing socks on their hands because McNabb always threw the ball at their feet...

I don't really know who to compare him to at this point...
He has shown field command and a great ability to make reads. The game looks like it's moving slow for him.

McNair or Big Ben minus the wheels, motorcycles, and rapes

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Here's what Ourlads says about the kid...

"A natural leader who is durable and tough. Poised, athletic, instinctive, and smart with good field vision. Has good vertical arm strength when called on to pass downfield.

Has a quick release with accuracy in the short and intermediate game. Shows accuracy on the move outside the pocket. Has good vision, always keeping his eyes down the field.

Despite his natural running ability, he is first a passer who moves well in the picket. This past fall the Bulldog line was a team weakness, yet Prescott answered the bell time and time again after being pressured and sacked, particularly versus Alabama and Mississippi.
With a new center, the shotgun snaps were all over the place, but the veteran quarterback handled the snaps calmly with no panic and played with confidence. Has a good football IQ that he transfers his knowledge to the field.

Smooth, easy, and effortless in his get away from center a the Combine and Senior Bowl. Had a string of 288 passes without an interception. Has all the physical tools and mental capabilities to make the transition to the NFL and earn a starting position. Second/Third round."

To me that matches up 100% with what we've seen so far.

Sounds great, so what dropped him to the end of the 4th round? The DUI?

sbark

Reaction score
The Pre-Draft glory for Wetz was just humiliating for all of those sucked into the void, it seems Dallas and Garrett knew the unreal expectations all along having coached him in the Senior bowl, good thing Philly didn't know it was merely hype machine.

from a NDSU booster........a great Wentz fan, even though he is a Iggle, I fully expect him to bring some great QB battles between him and Dak in the future..............just dang glad it appears we have a chance to match them tit for tat with a young QB of our own.........

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Yea...I have to agree with Teague31... McNabb was inaccurate. They used to say in philly that the WR's had to practice wearing socks on their hands because McNabb always threw the ball at their feet...

I don't really know who to compare him to at this point...

When I watch him I think "Damn, dude's game reminds me of Steve Young."

Ken

Reaction score
It was all good until you compared him to McFlabb. Now I will forever hate him
McNabb was a great player...literally carried the Eagles with no weapons around him until T.O.

He quite literally choked in super bowls and big games and ended up being a complete head case when he wasn't considered the man.

But to compare play style to McNabb is a huge compliment to Dak.