Did the Cowboys get the best QB in the draft?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I got to see something I wanted to see out of Dak in this last game and that is how he would react after a poor play. The int that he threw (even though called back because of a roughing the QB on Miami) Dak did not shy away or hesitate out there. He shook it off and kept right on going. I'm feeling a lot more confident in him should he have to come in during the season. Kid plays with a lot of confidence and poise

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I believe so.

Did I believe so on draft day? No.

Did I believe he was a steal when we got him where we got him? An unequivocal yes.

Shut the front door. Don't look any further. Develop this guy and then watch him shine when Romo bows out.

He reminds me of a young Donovan McNabb. So majestic in his flow. So cool under pressure. So fluid in leading his team into the end zone by any means necessary...

Sure. he hasn't really seen much in terms of complex schemes and teams game planning for him (yet)... But, on the flip side, no rookie QB has come in and taken the game but storm from snap 1 since... who? I can't recall the last time.

This guy looks like the prototypical beast at QB. Sure, some will say JaMarcus Russell was an all star in the preseason. JRuss also had some not so prototypical qualities about him (ie. small hands, weight issues, questions about his ability to progress through multiple reads).

I'm so excited about this dude folks.

Zeke is the FREAK & Dak is the MACK!

Lastly, I am going to go off of the script (because you know I like to) and say Showers would actually look very good if he didn't have 3s all around him. I like Showers too.

You will get no argument from me on this topic. I could not be more impressed with Dak from what I have seen. He has to develop and he will have his bad days doing it, but I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen a rookie QB perform as well as he has right out of the gate. I also think that McNabb is a good comparison. Not EVERYTHING but I think they are similar. I also like the Warren Moon comparisons.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've read all the comparisons, but Dak reminds me more of Romo than anyone else. Not physically, but game play. He seems smart and aware. He moves really well in the pocket. He throws first and runs second. And he elevates the play of those around him.

In my opinion, Dak is more poised and has already shown better game management and awareness then what Romo showed early in his career.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Showers looks like a normal QB3 to me. I like him, but that's about it.

I can't see how Dak isn't considered the QB steal of the draft at this point. Nobody else can touch him, really. We're already past the point where you weigh college potential more heavily than production in the pros as far as I'm concerned. When the lights come on, the board resets. Some players might continue to develop and surpass what Dak is doing eventually, but he's the lead-dog right now.

He is certainly the most prepared QB at this point and I dont see how he already isnt the best QB of this draft. Although its way early and I think that Lynch will be another good one.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm a perfect world, Dak would have one year to sit behind one of the best in the game and learn all of the intricacies that come with the package. In a perfect world, Romo stays upright all season. I'm hoping for that because I firmly believe we found our long term replacement at QB and believe that a year taking it all in would be major in his development.

1 year isn't a perfect world though. It would be more like 2. Because of both the dead money on romos contract, and the fact that the 2nd year on the bench and another full off-season would be very beneficial for Dak. He takes over for Romo no earlier than 2018.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I want nothing more than for Dak to be the best in this class. What Cowboy fan wouldn't.
But anyone saying they know this true already is really being incredibly short sighted.

Come on guys. It almost sounds you've written some these guys off when they are possibly only 1% into their NfL careers.
I don't see anyone saying they saw this coming. What I have seen at least in this thread is me and many others indicating that we thought the selection of Dak in the 4th was a steal. It's turning out to be that and more.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
1 year isn't a perfect world though. It would be more like 2. Because of both the dead money on romos contract, and the fact that the 2nd year on the bench and another full off-season would be very beneficial for Dak. He takes over for Romo no earlier than 2018.
I doubt Romo lasts for two more full years. That's a bit of a stretch.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't see anyone saying they saw this coming. What I have seen at least in this thread is me and many others indicating that we thought the selection of Dak in the 4th was a steal. It's turning out to be that and more.
I think maybe you misread my quote. I never said that anyone said they knew this was coming.
I was just saying its way too early to write off those picked ahead of him based on a few preseason snaps.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We got lucky that Booger failed to trade back up for Lynch and then Cook but the jury is out on drafted QB's at least for 3 seasons. Dak looks great in preseason without much D game planning and he's showed poise and leadership; however, I want to see that poise under real pressure and that leadership with his back against the wall.

I watch a ton of SEC ball and watched him in 2014 and agreed that he was a Heisman top 5 but then 2015 came and his inconsistencies increased. Now, he lost his Mom during this period of time and that could have derailed him.

Bottom line so far is that no one, including everyone in the FO and coaching staff of the team, expected this. There are quite a few GMs that took QBs ahead of him and turned down our trade up request that are really second guessing themselves now. I don't like the pretend season and don't feel it really tells us much but everything I see from him tells me we got lucky.....real lucky.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a stretch that Romo makes it through this season and one more season? I don't see it.
Can't argue that at all. He's not played a full 16 in the last 3. The question is should Dak have to play real ball, can be be anywhere near as effective as he's been?

I do not put any stock in pretend season because even the starters are not going full out until the real game checks start coming unless they're fighting for their job and I don't see that with any of the starters we've got on offense.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can't argue that at all. He's not played a full 16 in the last 3. The question is should Dak have to play real ball, can be be anywhere near as effective as he's been?

I do not put any stock in pretend season because even the starters are not going full out until the real game checks start coming unless they're fighting for their job and I don't see that with any of the starters we've got on offense.

He played 15 2 of the last 3 years. I'll take that. And idc if it's preseason you can tell what traits Dak has and he has IT.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I think maybe you misread my quote. I never said that anyone said they knew this was coming.
I was just saying its way too early to write off those picked ahead of him based on a few preseason snaps.
Got it I did misread it. Yeah. I still think Goff is going to be a star. Wentz will be pretty good too but Goff will be better IMO. Dak will be right there with them. The rest taken before Dak are in toss up territory.

Considering what Philly gave up for Wentz, they have to be gripping pretty hard right now.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
We got lucky that Booger failed to trade back up for Lynch and then Cook but the jury is out on drafted QB's at least for 3 seasons. Dak looks great in preseason without much D game planning and he's showed poise and leadership; however, I want to see that poise under real pressure and that leadership with his back against the wall.

I watch a ton of SEC ball and watched him in 2014 and agreed that he was a Heisman top 5 but then 2015 came and his inconsistencies increased. Now, he lost his Mom during this period of time and that could have derailed him.

Bottom line so far is that no one, including everyone in the FO and coaching staff of the team, expected this. There are quite a few GMs that took QBs ahead of him and turned down our trade up request that are really second guessing themselves now. I don't like the pretend season and don't feel it really tells us much but everything I see from him tells me we got lucky.....real lucky.
Dak was regularly running for his life behind that Bush league Mississippi State Oline. He is standing behind a Rolls Royce in Big D. That's the difference between looking shaky and having the eye of the tiger.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
It's a stretch that Romo makes it through this season and one more season? I don't see it.
Yes. It's a serious stretch... But I hope Romo makes it. I see Romo playing one more full year and then Dak taking over next year.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes. It's a serious stretch... But I hope Romo makes it. I see Romo playing one more full year and then Dak taking over next year.

Cap ramifications alone will make sure that doesn't happen. If Romo retired after this season it would deal a serious blow to our cap. And if he doesn't retire there is no way in Hell you have a 100 million dollar qb on the bench.

dools

Reaction score
Who is the genius that scouted out this diamond from the rough? Was it Will McClay? I'm loving what Dak is showing us he is capable of doing. I expect his performances to only get better. I'm still team Romo but Dak has me feeling no worries about our backup QB situation.
Wade Wilson

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Cap ramifications alone will make sure that doesn't happen. If Romo retired after this season it would deal a serious blow to our cap. And if he doesn't retire there is no way in Hell you have a 100 million dollar qb on the bench.
The potential for us being screwed at the end of this year is good. (assuming Romo stays upright all season)

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I think Romo plays this year, next year, and potentially the year after that. It could be 2019 before Dak sees the field on a regular basis. It's a good problem to have though. Dak will get those Wednesday reps and he'll be in there when Romo inevitably misses some time. He'll be ready to rock n roll when Romo hangs 'em up.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Why must an up and coming player always be compared to someone who had come before?

Who does Romo remind you of?

Who cares? He plays the game like few others.

If Dak is the next great in line for this team, that is wonderful news.

Maybe we can just allow Dak to be Dak and not some comparison to some other guy.

office-space.jpg

Yeah, I'm gonna need you to lay off comparing Dak to McNabb. That would be great.