Did the Cowboys strike gold in free agency

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Turpin is better than gold.

Maybe. He turned two kicks for TDs against LA Chargers special teams units that did not even include all the players who start on those units. Plus, the Chargers' special-teams coach is in his first year with the team. I'm glad to see Turpin take advantage of what he was facing, but I can't say that guarantees regular-season success. He definitely has the movement skills and speed for it, though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those are not the "bad" examples I'd use.
Neal was a 1 year stop gap that we paid 4M. He played a fair amount of snaps for that money.
Kazee was a vet min deal and played well enough here before moving on to the Steelers.

Both guys are still in the NFL
Neither were highly paid.

Neal wasn’t close to worth what he was paid. And Kazee was a mediocre player and an off field embarrassment.

When did “still in the NFL” become the standard?

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Maybe. He turned two kicks for TDs against LA Chargers special teams units that did not even include all the players who start on those units. Plus, the Chargers' special-teams coach is in his first year with the team. I'm glad to see Turpin take advantage of what he was facing, but I can't say that guarantees regular-season success. He definitely has the movement skills and speed for it, though.
He is just the best return man in the entire history of the Dallas Cowboys.

JustChip

Reaction score
I’m still shocked at just how badly that guy just flat out quit.
:omg:

One of the worst cases of ‘retired and didn’t tell anybody’ that I’ve ever seen. Stole a few million from the Cowboys never to be heard from again.
He was just ahead of his time. He’d be “quiet quitting” today.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
You have to sift through the debris to find gold. Turpin is the nugget we've been looking for. So when you add in Kearse, Hooker, Houston, Hendershot, and Barr... I'd say yes we struck gold.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In the last 2 years they have signed Turpin, Barr, Fowler, Kearse and Hooker. I think that Eric Fisher might be next. They have built a good team. It looks like we have some excitement brewing.
fools gold? I wouldn't call it gold. its filler at best.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
In the last 2 years they have signed Turpin, Barr, Fowler, Kearse and Hooker. I think that Eric Fisher might be next. They have built a good team. It looks like we have some excitement brewing.
Did The Cowboys Strike Gold In Free Agency...

Where is the gold?
I'm guessing you want a lot of NO answers, but I know you as a poster.
That's not what you're looking for.

I see a few okay signings.
I don't see Gold.
Where is the Gold?

And why bring in Fischer when there has been zero interest reported?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Turpin made the class
Anything else is gravy

rambo2

Reaction score
Did The Cowboys Strike Gold In Free Agency...

Where is the gold?
I'm guessing you want a lot of NO answers, but I know you as a poster.
That's not what you're looking for.

I see a few okay signings.
I don't see Gold.
Where is the Gold?

And why bring in Fischer when there has been zero interest reported?
They certainly are interested in bringing in a tackle like Eric Fisher. A few? 5 is more than a few. You can only play 11 at a time. Okay? 3 of the 5 were 1st round picks and you throw in outstanding players in Kearse and Turpin.

DanA

Reaction score
  • 2020 was shockingly bad everywhere.
  • 2021 was good overall but we underinvested in at 1T position IMO with Watkins/Urban
  • 2022 looks solid again but we've under-invested at OT/WR. We should have found someone a bit better than Washington IMO.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
They certainly are interested in bringing in a tackle like Eric Fisher. A few? 5 is more than a few. You can only play 11 at a time. Okay? 3 of the 5 were 1st round picks and you throw in outstanding players in Kearse and Turpin.
I guess we'll see.
Certainly not discounting your thoughts.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Does New England have anyone?

I sense that New England's front office was working with local media to spark a trade for Hill (I have no way of confirming this, just a hunch), but it was for a WR that wasn't any good. Do they have anyone on their roster?

Not that I want to trade Hill, but I can see this as a small possibility.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Griffin was a failed signing. He couldn't play in our system at all.
But yea if you go get 4-5 stop gaps you will hit and miss.

I would rather the FA guys we have be able to tryout before we sign them and fill a position with them.

That's why I think the Cowboys will ultimately sign a proven vet at swing tackle.

If they don't fix the kicker spot and the swing tackle issue, they're morons.

There's a lot riding on those two spots.