Did the Eagles really HOLD BACK and why would they ? *Merge*

BlueBandit

Benched
Reaction score
That's the mantra of Cowboy haters and Philly fans - McNabb missed guys all day is another I've heard - also that Philly held back after 1st quarter.

Apparently the Philly DC (Irish name) escapes me, he has a blitz package for us waiting to be unleashed.

I don't buy it, they showed up and we kicked their grills in. :starspin

Bring it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
BoysfaninVegas;3198117 said:
All these talking heads like Colin Cowherd that are saying the Eagles held back by not blitzing are convenienly leaving out the fact that Romo repeatedly torched the Eagles blitz the first time they played. The Eagles weren't holding back, they were just trying plan B because plan A didn't work earlier in the season. All the talking heads are well aware of this but they have to try and drum up some kind of drama because it involves the Cowboys.

They didn't blitz out of a sense of self preservation. As bad as it was it would have been worse with more blitzes. We burned them almost everytime they blitzed anyway. They were dominated and not from pulling back. They got their *** handed to them in a humiliating loss of epic proportions. Only another couple of scores kept it from being a complete beatdown. It doesn't get much better on our part. Shame on them. Gotta be some pyschological whiplash from the beatdown. Gotta be.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
BlueBandit;3198801 said:
That's the mantra of Cowboy haters and Philly fans - McNabb missed guys all day is another I've heard - also that Philly held back after 1st quarter.

Apparently the Philly DC (Irish name) escapes me, he has a blitz package for us waiting to be unleashed.

I don't buy it, they showed up and we kicked their grills in. :starspin

Bring it.

The spin factor ends here. Only the very naive and complete Eagle fans pretend to believe they didn't try hard. What a crock of ****. Some of us were born at night but not last night. Can you spell dominating beatdown and totally shutdown offense and ineptitude defense. Even STs dominated. It doesn't get much more dominating.

VACowboy

Reaction score
BlueBandit;3198801 said:
McNabb missed guys all day ...

He always makes a handful of bad throws. I don't know why some folks seem surprised.

They blitzed every defensive down the first game (slight exaggeration) and it didn't matter.

This game hinges on the Cowboys' ability to continue limiting Philly's big play offense.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Seriously???

Seriousy???

That is the flavor of the week now, that the Eagles held back and gave Dallas the game???

If this is true, Andy Reid is the stupidest mofo in the league and should be fired on the spot. Any team that just pisses away the #2 seed because they want to be the #6 seed is just ********.

Seriously, guys are on TV actually trying to sell this crap with a straight face that the Eagles just pissed away a bye and possibly 2 home games so they could play 3 straight road games???

Wow, I have heard of some stupid arse excuses before, but this one takes the cake......WOW, piss away the #2 seed on purpose.:D

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Gadfly22;3197224 said:
Hold back? With a #2 seed and home field on the line?

Nope.

However, I do expect to see a different approach next week. They have to establish some kind of running game, which they'll have an easier time doing if the Cowboys don't jump out to an early lead like yesterday.

But Reid isn't crazy or dumb, so he sure didn't want yesterday to turn out the way it did.

That will be so much easier said than done. Their offensive line isn't playing well enough to put a dent in our defensive line at all.

They did have some very limited success at tosses to the edge, but that'll only get you so far for so long. I think Wade would dial up some interesting fronts if Philly got anything going on the ground.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see him open in a 46 or go 3-3-5 Stack in the first series to get that initial 3 and out from Philly.

I would be very willing to wager that when we come out and score, and hold them to a quick pair or three of point-free series they'll start to fold. They've got veteran leaders, but they've also got 22 year old starters who've evolved gator arms.

FWIW, the idiot Mike Taylor who hosts Ticket 760's 3pm to 5pm sports show argued that Philly did lose on purpose. The guy is a ****ing ****** and the #1 reason I don't tune in for more than 3 minutes.

WarC

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3197206 said:
No they didn't hold back.

Anybody that says that is either an Eagles fan or a Cowboys fan with an agenda.

Troy Aikman acknowledged late in the broadcast or just after the game that the Eagles were playing unusually light defense throughout, and most especially in the first half.

WarC

Reaction score
Joe Realist;3197239 said:
They were not holding back but certainly did not blitz as much as the first game.

Bingo.

Complacency kills, I see too many fans already booking this next win.

WarC

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3199195 said:
For what reason? To give up all hope of the first round bye and homefield? :bang2:

I don't know...Maybe they were trying something new on defense in an environment that wouldn't cost them the playoffs, and were willing to accept the risks...Or maybe they feel they can lull us into a false sense of security. Mind games. As I said in the other "holding back" thread:

"I don't put anything past NFL coaches. Talking heads and fans alike were befuddled by Indianapolis taking the pedal off the gas...Talking heads and fans alike are surprised when other teams play their starters to the last minute of more or less meaningless season ending games, already with the playoffs secured. In a campaign, in strategy, individual actions and individual tactics may seem not to make sense when taken outside of the context of a bigger scheme. I for one think we'll see a much tougher contest come Saturday and I believe thats part of Philthy's plan."

Nav22

Reaction score
WarC;3199200 said:
I don't know...Maybe they were trying something new on defense in an environment that wouldn't cost them the playoffs, and were willing to accept the risks...Or maybe they feel they can lull us into a false sense of security. Mind games. As I said in the other "holding back" thread:

"I don't put anything past NFL coaches. Talking heads and fans alike were befuddled by Indianapolis taking the pedal off the gas...Talking heads and fans alike are surprised when other teams play their starters to the last minute of more or less meaningless season ending games, already with the playoffs secured. In a campaign, in strategy, individual actions and individual tactics may seem not to make sense when taken outside of the context of a bigger scheme. I for one think we'll see a much tougher contest come Saturday and I believe thats part of Philthy's plan."

I was about to snidely reply something like, "Okay, Warlord!" then I noticed your username. :lmao2:

WarC

Reaction score
Nav22;3199229 said:
I was about to snidely reply something like, "Okay, Warlord!" then I noticed your username. :lmao2:

:bow: Maybe its a napoleon complex! lol

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
WarC;3199200 said:

Indy had their seed wrapped up, sealed, signed and delivered. Philly, with injuries and two more moving parts on the offensive line REALLY could have benefited from the bye week and home field.

No team gives up home field on purpose. The idea is ludicrous. It would be like saying Plaxico shot himself to prove his worth to the team.

SilberBlau

Reaction score
There is no way the Eagles hold back at least through 2 and a half quarters. Maybe they did it in the end when the game was already over but that wouldn't scare me at all. they tried everything in the first half and we got a little lucky on their second possession (missed Jackson on the home run, Maclin with that key drop). On the next drive, the fumble helped a lot. If someone wants to spin that as "holding back", well good luck with that approach. They just executed very badly.

We did what we had to do. Attack their mediocre LBs and take away the big plays. And we will try to do that again.

joseephuss

Reaction score
There were people saying the Eagles held back in the first match up this year. You can find some discussion about it on this board. It was absurd then and is absurd now.

Even if it were true Dallas can counter that. According to this board and I believe everything I read on the internet, Jason Garrett has been holding back any number of plays and personnel packages all season long.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
With all due respect :)

"Enough already on this ridiculous topic.
!!!!!!!
"

You can't argue with ignorance.:rolleyes:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I dont think they held back.

I think that after the realized that the BEATDOWN was in full effect they resorted to cheap/late shots because fines and penalties didnt matter.