Did the Falcons game change Dak?

robjay04

Reaction score
I got this thought from another thread but I believe it deserved its own discussion.

Dak wasn’t fantastic the first half or the year but I distinctively remember his touchdowns being amongst the best in the league. Our offense was also among the most efficient in the league pre-Elliott suspension. If there was a pro bowl mid year, Dak would’ve got the call.

Zeke being suspended was the turning point but why has Dak been so off in almost every game since then..with or without Zeke? He’s just not the same QB and all of us can agree with that no matter where we stand on the Dak spectrum.

I think it all comes back to the Falcons game. He had never been beat up like that. His confidence had to be reeling and he was surely hearing footsteps every week since. I wouldn’t be surprised if that game doesn’t give him nightmares.

Since that game, his mechanics have been way off, his decision making has been sketchy and he has also been more reluctant to take chances. Not to mention, he has had happy feet in the pocket. These are not all traits of Dak pre-Atlanta. Something changes with his mindset.

Much like a kicker, a young QB’s game is built on confidence and momentum. You can take the most physically gifted young QB, take away his confidence and you will see his play fall off a cliff. I still have faith in Dak and hopefully the offseason gets his mind right but if his career never recovers, that game will surely be seen as the turning point.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No, in my opinion his best game of the season came against the Giants 4 weeks after the Falcons game.

He took some hits in that game but stood in the pocket and was very accurate.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
It undoubtedly did. You can argue whether it would have happened eventually regardless if his confidence was shattered by a single game, but it has been a night and day difference since that day.

I think getting pounded like that with the media narrative crucifying him as if it was solely due to the loss of Zeke sent his mind and confidence reeling.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got this thought from another thread but I believe it deserved its own discussion.

Dak wasn’t fantastic the first half or the year but I distinctively remember his touchdowns being amongst the best in the league. Our offense was also among the most efficient in the league pre-Elliott suspension. If there was a pro bowl mid year, Dak would’ve got the call.

Zeke being suspended was the turning point but why has Dak been so off in almost every game since then..with or without Zeke? He’s just not the same QB and all of us can agree with that no matter where we stand on the Dak spectrum.

I think it all comes back to the Falcons game. He had never been beat up like that. His confidence had to be reeling and he was surely hearing footsteps every week since. I wouldn’t be surprised if that game doesn’t give him nightmares.

Since that game, his mechanics have been way off, his decision making has been sketchy and he has also been more reluctant to take chances. Not to mention, he has had happy feet in the pocket. These are not all traits of Dak pre-Atlanta. Something changes with his mindset.

Much like a kicker, a young QB’s game is built on confidence and momentum. You can take the most physically gifted young QB, take away his confidence and you will see his play fall off a cliff. I still have faith in Dak and hopefully the offseason gets his mind right but if his career never recovers, that game will surely be seen as the turning point.
I've seen the look on players faces when they come to the sidelines and look to their coach for answers. I don't think Dak got any answers in that game. It's not a good feeling, they never adjusted and give him extra protection in that game.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Young QBs need to have their QB coach on the field, not in the press box. They need to have someone to sit with him between drives, go over the pictures and settle him down. I always saw him sitting on the bench by himself. No coaching going on.

JDSmith

Reaction score
In the third game of his third season Aikman was sacked 11 times by the Eagles. This was after having been knocked out by injury in his first two seasons, so it was his 28th start overall. We got crushed in the game, Troy got crushed in the game, and Troy had spent the first 2 seasons getting crushed just to get to that point. He didn't fold, he didn't go into a shell, he didn't hear footsteps or feel phantom pressure the rest of the year. If he had, we would likely have given up on him because any QB who is that easily broken mentally is a bust.

So I really hope that Dak didn't lose half a season because of an 8 sack game. If he did, his career is already over IMO. A guy who can become gun shy from one bad outing doesn't have the mental fortitude for the position.

For anyone who wants to relive what Troy experienced, there is a link to the game on youtube, I'm sure I can find it in my history. The quality is terrible because it's from a vhs tape, but you can still get an idea of what kind of day Troy experienced. BTW, when we played them in week 12 at Philadelphia Troy probably did have flashbacks because he only completed 9 of 31 passes for 145 yards, so I can perfectly understand how a team can get into a guys head after something like that. But it shouldn't cause a season long tailspin and happy feet in the pocket from there on out.

sbark

Reaction score
Wonder what he would've looked like after a game like T.Aikman went thru his rookie season.....11 sacks by a Buddy Ryan wrecking crew. Aikman seemed to bounce back and have a nice career :)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no idea why Dak’s play became so uneven. And other than the protection issues at LT, no idea what’s wrong with the offense.

CWR

Reaction score
Young QBs need to have their QB coach on the field, not in the press box. They need to have someone to sit with him between drives, go over the pictures and settle him down. I always saw him sitting on the bench by himself. No coaching going on.

That's riddiculous if its accurate. It screams at how piss poor our coaching is.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the third game of his third season Aikman was sacked 11 times by the Eagles. This was after having been knocked out by injury in his first two seasons, so it was his 28th start overall. We got crushed in the game, Troy got crushed in the game, and Troy had spent the first 2 seasons getting crushed just to get to that point. He didn't fold, he didn't go into a shell, he didn't hear footsteps or feel phantom pressure the rest of the year. If he had, we would likely have given up on him because any QB who is that easily broken mentally is a bust.

So I really hope that Dak didn't lose half a season because of an 8 sack game. If he did, his career is already over IMO. A guy who can become gun shy from one bad outing doesn't have the mental fortitude for the position.

For anyone who wants to relive what Troy experienced, there is a link to the game on youtube, I'm sure I can find it in my history. The quality is terrible because it's from a vhs tape, but you can still get an idea of what kind of day Troy experienced. BTW, when we played them in week 12 at Philadelphia Troy probably did have flashbacks because he only completed 9 of 31 passes for 145 yards, so I can perfectly understand how a team can get into a guys head after something like that. But it shouldn't cause a season long tailspin and happy feet in the pocket from there on out.
Aikman had Norv and Jimmy. Dak has .......well, you know

dwreck27

Reaction score
Combination of not having zeke with Chaz green single handily losing us the game that day on the field.

The bell should have gone in earlier or the entire time the pocket should have been bootleg out and away from Chaz

robjay04

Reaction score

I get that.

Troy was probably used to it by then. Dak went from having a clean pocket to getting murdered by a scrub defensive end all game due to coaches not
making adjustments.

FWIW...it did seem like he played much better when he got Tyron back...maybe he trusted his blind side more.

Screw his numbers with and without Zeke...I would love to see his numbers with and without Tyron.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score

I also posted this draft profile which says that you are correct. Read what they said about him in college.

STRENGTHS
Thick, muscular frame. Has proven over last three seasons that he can withstand a pounding. Has enough natural arm strength and hip snap to fit throws into an NFL window. Stands tall and delivers a tight spiral with over-the-top delivery. Very little windup and gets ball out with the flick of a wrist. When pocket is clean, can deliver accurate strikes around the field. Played with improved vision and care for football this season and eliminated many of the ill-fated throws that turned into interceptions in 2014. Still a work in progress, but continues to show a level of growth as a passer. Threat with his legs, scoring 37 rushing touchdowns over last three seasons and had 94 rushes of ten yards or more during that time. Can be used as goal-line rushing option. Willing to extend plays outside of pocket with legs but look to finish the play with his arm. Mentally tough enough to carry a heavy offensive burden for the Bulldogs over last three years. When protected better in 2014, showed an ability to challenge deep and strike with accuracy and touch.
WEAKNESSES
Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.