Did the Falcons game change Dak?

kevm3

Reaction score
I have no idea why Dak’s play became so uneven. And other than the protection issues at LT, no idea what’s wrong with the offense.
The O line pretty much has made the offense, and the O line hasn't looked that great all year, even with Tyron in. Once Tyron went out, it was a wrap. That, and the teams have pretty much figured out our offense and we fail to adjust. Once our O line and players can't outphysical the other team, then it's a wrap for our offense. You can tell it's more than the players, because the offense still looked like trash WITH Zeke.

Gameover

Reaction score
I think the problem is, Dak went out endorsement whoring in the offseason and he also went on a 'best rookie season ever banquet tour", when he should've went out and found the best QB coach in the country so he could master his craft and be even better than last season.

Last year, he made all the right decisions as far as turning down TV offers and endorsements. But soon as the season was over: you might as well called him rat head cause he was loving the cheese

Can he get it back?

Was 16 a fluke?

Will this drive him to prove people wrong?

I don't think he's mentally tough, can he prove me wrong?

Risen doesn't think he's any good, can he prove him(assuming)wrong?

Will he even get the chance?

He was never as sharp this year as he was last year.

Can he rebound? Not impossible... but I wouldn't bet on him!

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
He'd had some rough times before the Atlanta game, vut yes, that shook him.
He literally ran INTO 3-4 of those sacks.

All QBs are affected by heavy pressure, and especially when lose confidence in your protection.
He'd been unbelievably blessed in that regard last year.
He got a dose of what others have had to deal with most of their career. Not 3 pro bowlers plus two more decent lineman combined with the leagues leading rusher.
Not his fault, but he was spoon fed the perfect setup. Teed up perfectly as a rookie and he ran with it really well.

An offseason will do him good.
Looking forward to a more situationally aware and confident Dak next year.
Hopefully.

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score
In the third game of his third season Aikman was sacked 11 times by the Eagles. This was after having been knocked out by injury in his first two seasons, so it was his 28th start overall. We got crushed in the game, Troy got crushed in the game, and Troy had spent the first 2 seasons getting crushed just to get to that point. He didn't fold, he didn't go into a shell, he didn't hear footsteps or feel phantom pressure the rest of the year. If he had, we would likely have given up on him because any QB who is that easily broken mentally is a bust.

So I really hope that Dak didn't lose half a season because of an 8 sack game. If he did, his career is already over IMO. A guy who can become gun shy from one bad outing doesn't have the mental fortitude for the position.

For anyone who wants to relive what Troy experienced, there is a link to the game on youtube, I'm sure I can find it in my history. The quality is terrible because it's from a vhs tape, but you can still get an idea of what kind of day Troy experienced. BTW, when we played them in week 12 at Philadelphia Troy probably did have flashbacks because he only completed 9 of 31 passes for 145 yards, so I can perfectly understand how a team can get into a guys head after something like that. But it shouldn't cause a season long tailspin and happy feet in the pocket from there on out.

One correction - Aikman missed the second Eagle game that year - he suffered a knee injury against the Commanders in Week 12. Steve Beuerlein was the owner of that fantastic stat line, which was played in a swirling wind.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Falcons game changed everything. Had the Cowboys won that game and done everything else the same, they would now have the 6 seed in the playoffs.

JDSmith

Reaction score
One correction - Aikman missed the second Eagle game that year - he suffered a knee injury against the Commanders in Week 12. Steve Beuerlein was the owner of that fantastic stat line, which was played in a swirling wind.

Good catch, I had forgotten that came after the epic win against Washington. He didn't play again until they threw him in out of desperation in the playoff game. Poor Troy was put through the ringer his first 3 years. Guys have no idea how badly he got pounded. I've actually seen people on here suggest that Troy had a good line when he first started.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I've seen the look on players faces when they come to the sidelines and look to their coach for answers. I don't think Dak got any answers in that game. It's not a good feeling, they never adjusted and give him extra protection in that game.
Your right! Linehan and Garrett NEVER adjusted and slid protection Green’s way. I don't think they chipped with Witten once, and if they did it wasn’t more than once or twice. I don’t remember a back helping either. During the whole game I was yelling at the TV give Green and Bell help. Garrett and Linehan let the right DE position destroy our passing game!! This was one of the worst displays of coaching I have ever seen. I mean 90% of the time, their right DE was running around and through our backup tackles like they were not there. Linehan and Garrett should have been fired on the spot. Like I’ve said before they make the same mistakes over and over and over again expecting a different result!! Not helping our backup tackles in that game was truly insanity!! After watching that game, I don’t understand how any Cowboys fan could have ANY confidence in Garrett or Linehan. Garrett is the main problem!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Combination of not having zeke with Chaz green single handily losing us the game that day on the field.

The bell should have gone in earlier or the entire time the pocket should have been bootleg out and away from Chaz
Bell was better than Green, but I would have been better than Green. Bell only gave up 2 sacks and a holding penalty or two in the 4th qt. Bell is terrible. Did you see him get dominated vs Seattle? Our idiotic coaches don’t help. IT’s called chipping. Our coaches would rather our QB get killed all game than chip with a TE or slide a back to that side. Garrett is the main problem!!

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Your right! Linehan and Garrett NEVER adjusted and slid protection Green’s way. I don't think they chipped with Witten once, and if they did it wasn’t more than once or twice. I don’t remember a back helping either. During the whole game I was yelling at the TV give Green and Bell help. Garrett and Linehan let the right DE position destroy our passing game!! This was one of the worst displays of coaching I have ever seen. I mean 90% of the time, their right DE was running around and through our backup tackles like they were not there. Linehan and Garrett should have been fired on the spot. Like I’ve said before they make the same mistakes over and over and over again expecting a different result!! Not helping our backup tackles in that game was truly insanity!! After watching that game, I don’t understand how any Cowboys fan could have ANY confidence in Garrett or Linehan. Garrett is the main problem!!
Agree completely. Garrett should have been fired on the spot after that game. Before this year, I was never for or against Garrett....just neutral. That game and lack of any sort of recognition to make adjustments proves that Garrett has absolutely no business being a HC. In the future if we ever win anything, it will be in spite of our HC.....not because of him.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Unti
Get Tyon and Zeke back, then draft a guy like Calvin Ridley. You solve 90% of the problems in that case.
Until we get rid of Garrett we can only solve 50% of the problem. He is a big problem!!! How can you ever have any confidence in a coach who allows, yes allows, his young QB to get hit on almost every pass play. Helping your backup tackles is legal, just like rub routes( if you do them correctly. Honestly, Garrett doesn’t seem to know this. Garrett is the main problem!!

Grevus

Reaction score
I think a lot of Dak's success last year was due to the fact that he had Romo on the sideline talking to him like a QB coach. I'm not a huge fan of Dak's skill set, but I do think the kid can play and with the right coaching, could possible turn into a top QB.

robjay04

Reaction score
He didn't look against Denver, and that was real early on

Sean Lee sucked too.

So did every single player on our team.

Why cherry pick one game?

Tom Brady sucked in a couple games this year, every QB has a bad game. If you’re expecting perfection every week, you’re going to be waiting a long time for your franchise QB. As a whole; he was playing at a pro bowl level for the first half of the season.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I believe it wrecked him mentally. His mechanics broke down after this game.

Sepia

Reaction score
Aikman had Norv and Jimmy. Dak has .......well, you know

Also, Troy came into the league with terrible olines in front of him. Nate admits it. It's probably not something you get used to, but it's probably a much bigger jolt when you entered your first year behind the league standard for olines your first year, like Dak did.

Dak simply has to adapt and progress. But we also have to fix the oline and coaching.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Also, Troy came into the league with terrible olines in front of him. Nate admits it. It's probably not something you get used to, but it's probably a much bigger jolt when you entered your first year behind the league standard for olines your first year, like Dak did.
Dak simply has to adapt and progress. But we also have to fix the oline and coaching.

And on top of coming into the league to play behind far and away the worst OL in football, he had David Shula as his offensive coordinator (Norv didn't get there until 1991). And one month into the season they traded Herschel to the Vikings, so Paul Palmer was our leading rusher for the year. So you can see why Troy got injured in game 11 and missed the rest of the season. There was probably never a player happier to get put on IR.

Ball placement.

And Troy didn't play all 16 games in a season until 1992, he was getting battered week in and week out. So honestly, if Dak was ruined by a single 8 sack game he doesn't have what it takes.

Plankton

Reaction score
Good catch, I had forgotten that came after the epic win against Washington. He didn't play again until they threw him in out of desperation in the playoff game. Poor Troy was put through the ringer his first 3 years. Guys have no idea how badly he got pounded. I've actually seen people on here suggest that Troy had a good line when he first started.

It's a minor miracle that Aikman even made it to the Super Bowl years, considering the beating he took in 1989 alone. The thing is, even with getting earholed on this one, look at the dime that he threw.