Did the Front Office See This Coming? / FO does not have a plan *Merged*

kskboys

Reaction score
Let's see, things they didn't see coming, just off the top of my head:

1)The OL falling apart in 2010 even though it had been steadily degrading and was terrible down the stretch and in the playoff game vs MINNY.
2)The DL falling apart in 2012 even though it had been steadily degrading and guys were getting old.
3)Marion Barber not being a starting quality RB.
4)Miles Austin not having great hands and not being a very good downfield receiver.
5)Cooper Rush's arm not being good enough for the NFL.
6)Dak needing development, even after winning his rook season.
7)Esco not being able to block or create separation even though his scouting report pointed it out.
8)Brandon Carr being a #2 type Cb even though his physical skillset screamed that was the case.
9)Nick Hayden not being a starter.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
This may be very optimistic of me, but did the Cowboys FO know that the team was likely not going anywhere this season?

They made an attempt to get Sammy Watkins, but Sammy (and his agent) decided his stats would be much better in KC. Good call by Sammy.

The whole off-season you could tell they were likely going to cut Dez. He cost a lot and was no longer producing high enough level. And after his public tantrums there is zero chance they will bring him back.

Jason Written read the tea leaves and decided he did not want to be a part of the 2018 Dallas Cowboys more than he wanted to be a broadcaster. Perhaps he could also sense the direction of the team this season.

They did not spend much money in free agency. Yes, it could mean Stephen is cheap. But maybe he and others knew that this team was going to struggle a great deal to score points and hence win many games. Perhaps, Stephen knew that the team may likely have a poor record which will finally push out JG and crew. Perhaps there are many in the FO ready to push the reset button.

Not saying everything will turn out golden. Just saying this may not surprise the FO as much as people may think.
They have a plan but their plan sucks basically!

khiladi

Reaction score
Whoever it is, the reason Jason's still the coach is because he was hand picked by them. Firing Jason before he wins a SB would be an admission of failure on their part, and when have they EVER admitted they were wrong about ANYTHING?

Of course it can't go on forever, if the team continues as they have in Jason's tenure, eventually he'll be let go or "kicked upstairs". But even then it will be spun as Jason needing to spend more time with his family, or we're "reorganizing". Remember they didn't fire Kiffin, he was "promoted" to a meaningless job with the team. And I actually applaud Jerry for that, Kiffin was a known commodity, not his fault Jerry hired him, keeping the old guy on was a good deed..

Jerry was close to Jason’s father, who was a scout here. Jason is around because the Garrett’s are entrenched in this organization and have strong ties to the Jones family.

It’s not simply admission of failure, it’s because Jerry actually loves Jason.

My mention of Stephen is that Jerry would make the change before Stephen. Stephen is probably an even bigger supporter of Jason than Jerry. Jerry at least released Jason’s brother after 2012, though he didn’t fire him. He gave John a graceful exit from this team.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
This team is a QB away from being a contender, I don't buy that they lack talent everywhere else. When you have a QB that can't pass for 200 yards and doesn't throw the football beyond 15 yards, you ain't winning many games.
I’m going to say a TE and safety too. It’s a QB away from being a playoff team. But I think we’d be a real contender with a QB, TE, good safety.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
They believed they caught lightning in a bottle with Dak, and they believe he is the QB of the future. They committed much too early, and despite evidence to the contrary, they are continuing to avoid addressing the elephant in the room. When you listen to JJ talk about Dak, he talks about how he's "done it before" etc....

The bottom line is that they are in this predicament b/c they have a QB that is woefully underperforming, an OC that can't adjust and put his players in a position to succeed, a HC that does not have the balls to make tough decisions, and an arrogant FO that believes they have charted the correct course for the future. Add it all up-- and we are screwed. Even if they are rebuilding-- they have not even laid the foundation yet.

Yeah, but Dak was good because Romo was his coach, as well as Linehan's game plan modifier.

Now all he has is a young kid who couldn't play NFL QB.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Jerry was close to Jason’s father, who was a scout here. Jason is around because the Garrett’s are entrenched in this organization and have strong ties to the Jones family.

It’s not simply admission of failure, it’s because Jerry actually loves Jason.

My mention of Stephen is that Jerry would make the change before Stephen. Stephen is probably an even bigger supporter of Jason than Jerry. Jerry at least released Jason’s brother after 2012, though he didn’t fire him. He gave John a graceful exit from this team.

That's why nepotism doesn't work.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yeah, but Dak was good because Romo was his coach, as well as Linehan's game plan modifier.

Now all he has is a young kid who couldn't play NFL QB.

Looks that way.... barring a complete miraculous turnaround— Dak has shown himself to not be a viable longterm answer at QB.

His first season and a half look to be fools gold. I hope I’m wrong and his regression is about Fredericks absence, Linehan’s incompetence etc... but the poor quality of play from him speaks for itself.

I like the kid— but he is the bottleneck in the offense right now.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm not happy with the results, but to not be a complete football simpleton you have to ask yourself why.

This roster is deeper than it has been in years, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The defense is very good. I guess that doesn't count? Lol.

The offense is struggling. We have lost one of the best players on our team and one of the most important players we have in Fred Beard. That's significant. The OL isn't playing well at all. It makes the entire offense look bad.

We drafted Fred Beard and when everyone thought he was a wasted pick the team got an all pro. We drafted Martin and he is an all pro. We drafted Tyron and he was an all pro. That's not conjecture and that's not happenstance. That's credible work by the organization.

As I see it, the team seems to stubbornly play Collins out of position. It also seems to stubbornly believe a rookie should start at guard because of draft position. While that will speed up his development we are losing games in the process.

Williams probably needs to be benched.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Looks that way.... barring a complete miraculous turnaround— Dak has shown himself to not be a viable longterm answer at QB.

His first season and a half look to be fools gold. I hope I’m wrong and his regression is about Fredericks absence, Linehan’s incompetence etc... but the poor quality of play from him speaks for itself.

I like the kid— but he is the bottleneck in the offense right now.

Agreed.

If we could replace OC and QB coach, there would be a learning curve under a new system, but these guys are pro's, and it's just football.
Hell, I'd be in favor of the Spread (a la KC) if we could find the right guy to run it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m going to say a TE and safety too. It’s a QB away from being a playoff team. But I think we’d be a real contender with a QB, TE, good safety.

That's just about every team.

NFL is all about QB play.

The Cowboys tried to do it with Oline and run game but it looks like that has caught up with us and now we just need a young Tony Romo all over again.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It’s not simply admission of failure, it’s because Jerry actually loves Jason

Whether Jerry loves Jason or not isn't germane to my comment. Regardless of how he feels about Jason, IF he fired Jason that's how people would perceive it....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

The Cowboys tried to do it with Oline and run game but it looks like that has caught up with us and now we just need a young Tony Romo all over again.

And how many SBs did Tony win? Zero. How many playoff games? 2. How many NFC championship games? Zero. How many winning seasons? 3 out of 6 seasons he played all or most of the games.

Yes it's mostly about QB play, but there's NEVER been a SB winning team that had a great quarterback and mediocre rest of the team, there's always at least a great defense, great coaching, great receivers or great running backs.

None of which this team has. Tom Brady couldn't win a SB with this team. Neither could Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw or Eli Manning or Peyton Manning.

Those guys could get this team to the playoffs and win more games, but SBs? Nope, don't have the players or coaches....

lostar2009

Reaction score
I know we want think there is this super master plan but there is none. This team is done and it blew it's best Wondow in years to win a super bowl.

kskboys

Reaction score

It is becoming more and more glaringly obvious that Romo bailed this craptastic O scheme out. Every QB we've tried aside from Kitna has looked like chickenpoop here.
Weeden turned out to be a viable backup elsewhere. Orton had already proven to be a viable backup, but was crapp here. Anyone wonder why he suddenly wanted to leave? Think.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It is becoming more and more glaringly obvious that Romo bailed this craptastic O scheme out. Every QB we've tried aside from Kitna has looked like chickenpoop here.
Weeden turned out to be a viable backup elsewhere. Orton had already proven to be a viable backup, but was crapp here. Anyone wonder why he suddenly wanted to leave? Think.

It was obvious at the time.

Garrett is trash.

Just because Romo could run around and Dez go up and bring down a football didn't mean Garrett was good.

He's always been a problem.

Linehan made us a little better because he ran the ball more and took the game out of our craptastic pass schemes hands.

kskboys

Reaction score
It was obvious at the time.

Garrett is trash.

Just because Romo could run around and Dez go up and bring down a football didn't mean Garrett was good.

He's always been a problem.
Yup. We discussed this at length on the old boards and came to the same conclusion years ago. Just too many facts point that way.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
What little respect I had for Garrett's ability (and it wasn't much) went out of the window after the Gregory penalty. Yes he said something to Gregory, but it was hardly enough, either number of words or tone. Nor did we see anyone else say much to Gregory.

That kind of stupidity by Gregory deserves a dressing down immediately, by Garrett or Richard or Marinelli or some other coach. I'd also come out today and say he's benched for 2 weeks, won't play at all, not one snap. Of course I'd have cut him in the off season, but that didn't happen. He was going to be a holy terror according to some here. Checked his stats just now, or rather tried to. ZERO stats. No sacks, no tackles, no assists.

Another stupid personnel move by the Cowboys...