Did the Front Office See This Coming? / FO does not have a plan *Merged*

CCBoy

Reaction score
Unfortunately— yesterday was an absolute disaster. If you listen to the post-game player quotes, they believed they would win and play well.

That obviously did NOT happen. The dissonance they are experiencing stems from listening to a message from the franchise leaders— believing in it— and then seeing the opposite resulting on the field.

Trust and credibility are like a bank account. You make deposits and withdraws. You never want to overdraw your account with the people you are leading.

IMO— the FO is in real danger of overdrawing their account with their players. Their account is already overdrawn with the media and the fan base— but another ugly loss and I think the wheels come off and lots of anger and internal strife will start to come out, lots of finger pointing, and ultimately an implosion in the locker room.

My friend, I'm afraid you are correct, but the starch in Jerry's collars has been missing for some time now...he skirts real confrontation on heated issues.

Oh, but he'll talk around those topics plenty...

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree with your premise, RT, but I doubt the FO has that much intelligence or foresight. Also, while Steve-o might be arrogant enough to pull those kinds of tactics, I can't believe JJ's ego would allow that kind of premeditated tanking.

Either way, I'm ready for some major changes.
:) An Ohio State Head Coach might handle the institute at present...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
ason Written read the tea leaves and decided he did not want to be a part of the 2018 Dallas Cowboys more than he wanted to be a broadcaster

MNF football gigs come up rarely, you are correct in that he'd rather be an announcer, but I suspect he's had other announcer offers that he turned down, but those are more plentiful. MNF gig is just too good to pass up regardless of who you play for, if you're probably in your last year on the team anyway...

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
My friend, I'm afraid you are correct, but the starch in Jerry's collars has been missing for some time now...he skirts real confrontation on heated issues.

Oh, but he'll talk around those topics plenty...

Agreed. He is no longer willing or able to do what needs to be done— and his inaction is resulting in diminshing returns.

Our only hope is an absolute crater of a season that wakes him up to reality— but I fear even a 3-13 season would be rolled up and blames on T Fred’s ailment and Witten’s surprise retirement.

They believe they are generally right and only need to make minor tweaks in order to compete. The truth is much, much worse— but they cannot admit to themselves they are failing.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Everyone gives this organization too much credit.

They don't know more than anyone, in fact in most cases they know way less.

Did a lot of players want to see Jones at safety? Yes, I was one of them. Did that experiment run it's course pretty early? Yes, but we kept him at safety way longer than they should have.

Every player on this team should have a career plan and how the team wants them to grow in their role. I don't see that at all.

The Cowboys have waited three years to get Zeke more involved in the passing game, and we're seeing that they haven't developed him there. He was pretty decent at it in College, he probably hasn't caught a pass in 3 years (sarcasm and exaggeration).

He should have been a focal part of the passing game from day 1. They've had Cole Beasley waiting in the wings for years, never properly used the guy like the Patriots did for Welker, Edelman, AND Amendola. I don't think Beasley is significantly worse than any of those guys. He would flourish in New England.

Where are the career plans? Where is the growth?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The OL was good

Say what? 4 sacks, Dak wiggled out of at least 3 more. Few lanes for Zeke. Line is missing Frederick, rookie in Williams, who is not only a rookie but transitioning to guard from tackle.

The OL was NOT good, even Martin got pushed back, as Troy noted. Collins needs to go back to guard....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
hey believe they are generally right and only need to make minor tweaks in order to compete. The truth is much, much worse— but they cannot admit to themselves they are failing.

That's the problem in a nutshell, as I've said for years. Jerry's a smart guy, but no one is smart at everything. He's not a great "football mind". But his ego is such he doesn't think so.

But one thing needs to be noted - this team is re-building. You won't hear Jerry or Stephen admit it, but it's true. Of the 53 active roster players, 27 are in their 3rd year or less. This should be the year they begin to "get it", but it's only game 3, won't happen by game 4 or 6 or 8, either. In fact it may be they need to play the whole year so they can find out who can handle their position and make changes in the off season. And it may never happen.

Just don't believe Jerry and Stephen and Garrett when they talk about how the players are "fine". They're not, and I think they know that.

I have to hold out hope it is just part of the rebuilding process, if not, this team will continue to struggle for at least 2 more years, until rookie contracts run out and new players can be brought in, but then you'd have another re-building team, ergo another 2-3 years of finding out if THOSE players can "get 'er done".

I just don't want to have to handle that, knowing that for at least 4-5 years the team won't be a contender, I have to be optimistic...

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Agreed. He is no longer willing or able to do what needs to be done— and his inaction is resulting in diminshing returns.

Our only hope is an absolute crater of a season that wakes him up to reality— but I fear even a 3-13 season would be rolled up and blames on T Fred’s ailment and Witten’s surprise retirement.

They believe they are generally right and only need to make minor tweaks in order to compete. The truth is much, much worse— but they cannot admit to themselves they are failing.
For all that is wrong right now, a few improvements would change the picture completely. Good QB play would let you properly evaluate the OL, receivers & coaches. Not saying there wouldn't still be upgrades needed but it wouldn't be as drastic as it now appears. I am a founding member of "why the hell did we hire JG?" so you know the QB play is bad when even I am saying "I honestly don't know how good or bad the play calling was because it wasn't executed". I would still fire JG just because of the long track record of bad coaching. If it were a coach who had some credibility I would be hesitant because nothing is going to work when the QB can't run the offense.

Batman1980

Reaction score
That's the problem in a nutshell, as I've said for years. Jerry's a smart guy, but no one is smart at everything. He's not a great "football mind". But his ego is such he doesn't think so.

But one thing needs to be noted - this team is re-building. You won't hear Jerry or Stephen admit it, but it's true. Of the 53 active roster players, 27 are in their 3rd year or less. This should be the year they begin to "get it", but it's only game 3, won't happen by game 4 or 6 or 8, either. In fact it may be they need to play the whole year so they can find out who can handle their position and make changes in the off season. And it may never happen.

Just don't believe Jerry and Stephen and Garrett when they talk about how the players are "fine". They're not, and I think they know that.

I have to hold out hope it is just part of the rebuilding process, if not, this team will continue to struggle for at least 2 more years, until rookie contracts run out and new players can be brought in, but then you'd have another re-building team, ergo another 2-3 years of finding out if THOSE players can "get 'er done".

I just don't want to have to handle that, knowing that for at least 4-5 years the team won't be a contender, I have to be optimistic...

I can't be optimistic, this team has failed to get past the divisional round for 22 years and that's not going to change this year. Just a toxic environment that's not conducive to winning with this personnel.

khiladi

Reaction score
The reason Garrett is still coach is more likely because of Stephen Jones, than Jerry. They are apparently very close.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I agree with your premise, RT, but I doubt the FO has that much intelligence or foresight. Also, while Steve-o might be arrogant enough to pull those kinds of tactics, I can't believe JJ's ego would allow that kind of premeditated tanking.

Either way, I'm ready for some major changes.
There were just so many questionable moves made and not made during this off season that just didn't add up to a team making a serious push for this season and looked like a team setting up for the next off-season. The conspiracy theorist in me looks back to the vacation they took during the beginning of free agency. I get it's the digital age and we can be connected from anywhere, but for a FO the most important time of the year is free agency and the draft, but this was the time they chose for a vacation? Really?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I can't be optimistic, this team has failed to get past the divisional round for 22 years and that's not going to change this year. Just a toxic environment that's not conducive to winning with this personnel.

I understand, so you're not going to watch the games, I assume...

Batman1980

Reaction score
I understand, so you're not going to watch the games, I assume...
I do watch the games but I get far less emotional about the outcomes than I used to. Hard to expect wins with the product we get on the field most Sundays.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
The worst part is not being able to develop ANYONE at QB. Look at that track record and give me one that they have made better. The FO can only do so much by bringing in People the coaches want, I think they have done that part.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

They believed they caught lightning in a bottle with Dak, and they believe he is the QB of the future. They committed much too early, and despite evidence to the contrary, they are continuing to avoid addressing the elephant in the room. When you listen to JJ talk about Dak, he talks about how he's "done it before" etc....

The bottom line is that they are in this predicament b/c they have a QB that is woefully underperforming, an OC that can't adjust and put his players in a position to succeed, a HC that does not have the balls to make tough decisions, and an arrogant FO that believes they have charted the correct course for the future. Add it all up-- and we are screwed. Even if they are rebuilding-- they have not even laid the foundation yet.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Say what? 4 sacks, Dak wiggled out of at least 3 more. Few lanes for Zeke. Line is missing Frederick, rookie in Williams, who is not only a rookie but transitioning to guard from tackle.

The OL was NOT good, even Martin got pushed back, as Troy noted. Collins needs to go back to guard....
The OL is very mediocre and I'm being kind to it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The reason Garrett is still coach is more likely because of Stephen Jones, than Jerry. They are apparently very close.

Whoever it is, the reason Jason's still the coach is because he was hand picked by them. Firing Jason before he wins a SB would be an admission of failure on their part, and when have they EVER admitted they were wrong about ANYTHING?

Of course it can't go on forever, if the team continues as they have in Jason's tenure, eventually he'll be let go or "kicked upstairs". But even then it will be spun as Jason needing to spend more time with his family, or we're "reorganizing". Remember they didn't fire Kiffin, he was "promoted" to a meaningless job with the team. And I actually applaud Jerry for that, Kiffin was a known commodity, not his fault Jerry hired him, keeping the old guy on was a good deed..