Did the Front Office See This Coming? / FO does not have a plan *Merged*

CCBoy

Reaction score
The myriad of offensive/team culture problems that are plaguing this franchise are all symptoms of a key underlying issue that has been hindering this team for decades.

The front office is ignorant AND stubbornly arrogant. It is impossible to dispel ignorance when you are arrogant— and that is why nothing has changed in terms of culture and production on the field.

It’s how this FO can squander the careers of D Ware, Romo, Lee, and Witten. Until they acknowledge that they do not know what they think they know—their ignorance will continue to undermine their quest to be championship franchise again.

So, will the team level and start to be productive now? Or do you see a below 50% winning team?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
This team is a QB away from being a contender, I don't buy that they lack talent everywhere else. When you have a QB that can't pass for 200 yards and doesn't throw the football beyond 15 yards, you ain't winning many games.
If we did have a true franchise QB, these are not the WR/TE I would want to surround him with either tho.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
This front office has always been incompetent.

They never get valuable players on the market for cheap. They always end up going to other teams for like peanuts. Josh Gordon was a perfect example. A player who probably could have helped this team. Instantly would have been the best player at his position and it is a position of need. Could have had him for a 5th round draft pick.

We never get value for players before they leave. They are lucky the league created this compensatory pick garbage otherwise we would be hat in hand.

When was the last time we got a really great player as a free agent? Don't worry I'll wait.

What we do instead is re-sign our own players for way too much money instead.

This, someone in another thread said we are mimicking the Pats, I was thinking to myself if so why did we not give up a 5th for Josh who without doubt would have been our best receiver on the team but they did. Like a 5th would start here, h--- we cant get 1st and 2nd rounders to perform.

JayFord

Reaction score
Did anyone know this was coming?

He should have forseen this when he fired wade and hired Garrett like Garrett wasnt as much to blame as wade

McKDaddy

Reaction score
So, will the team level and start to be productive now? Or do you see a below 50% winning team?
Most likely about to implode. Players who are trying & want to win have to be livid about the players who aren't & the coaches who aren't helping. I would imagine finger pointing and subtle or anonymous comments are about to start surfacing as people try to save themselves.

If we had any good options to replace them, JG & Linehan should have been fired on the flight back last night. A big statement like that might light a fire under the players.

cern

Reaction score
some can be both intelligent and arrogant. but not all. how jerry cannot see that garrett Is a poor excuse for a hc is beyond me.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
This, someone in another thread said we are mimicking the Pats, I was thinking to myself if so why did we not give up a 5th for Josh who without doubt would have been our best receiver on the team but they did. Like a 5th would start here, h--- we cant get 1st and 2nd rounders to perform.

Patriots always look for deals. They got Corey Dillon for like a 3rd round draft pick and he carried them to a super bowl... Note, we could have used Corey Dillon as well... They got Randy Moss for nothing. They got Edelman for nothing. They got Amendola for nothing. They trade their overrated overpaid players for high picks.

The Cowboys THINK they're mimicking the Pats, but they aren't really. The Pats play a lot of games and are very active in the market. They trade down to get more picks, the maximize the use of their players either on the field or on the market. They cut players who make mistakes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.

They constantly overrate their roster and their ability to grab/evaluate talent.

They make the biggest blunder by overrating Garrett and some of his staff. Linehan is the next biggest under Garrett. Moore at QB coach, has to go. I know the D is playing well but Marinelli still needs to go.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm done with Jerry and Stephen after what I've seen this season. I'm not interested in a single word that they have to say.

Hell, the 5-11 2002 Dave Campo team possesses more dynamic, game-changing talent than this squad. Absolutely embarrassing.

John813

Reaction score
Patriots always look for deals. They got Corey Dillon for like a 3rd round draft pick and he carried them to a super bowl... Note, we could have used Corey Dillon as well... They got Randy Moss for nothing. They got Edelman for nothing. They got Amendola for nothing. They trade their overrated overpaid players for high picks.

The Cowboys THINK they're mimicking the Pats, but they aren't really. The Pats play a lot of games and are very active in the market. They trade down to get more picks, the maximize the use of their players either on the field or on the market. They cut players who make mistakes.

Jones gang falls in love with players to a fault. Bill will ship off a good player that they have no intention of re-signing and already had a fallback plan once said player is moved. We don't even have a competent plan for some starters, let alone depth.

Cowboys are mimicking the later Al Davis, minus getting players with fast 40 times.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Unfortunately— yesterday was an absolute disaster. If you listen to the post-game player quotes, they believed they would win and play well.

That obviously did NOT happen. The dissonance they are experiencing stems from listening to a message from the franchise leaders— believing in it— and then seeing the opposite resulting on the field.

Trust and credibility are like a bank account. You make deposits and withdraws. You never want to overdraw your account with the people you are leading.

IMO— the FO is in real danger of overdrawing their account with their players. Their account is already overdrawn with the media and the fan base— but another ugly loss and I think the wheels come off and lots of anger and internal strife will start to come out, lots of finger pointing, and ultimately an implosion in the locker room.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

Correction: I was thinking of Wes Welker. And I shouldn't say it was for nothing it was a 2nd and a 7th, but he was an all pro receiver for many years for them. They scouted him very well and knew he would be perfect, very similar to what we should do with players but never do.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Jones gang falls in love with players to a fault. Bill will ship off a good player that they have no intention of re-signing and already had a fallback plan once said player is moved. We don't even have a competent plan for some starters, let alone depth.

Cowboys are mimicking the later Al Davis, minus getting players with fast 40 times.

Just look at what they did with Crawford. They have no plan for players.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Most likely about to implode. Players who are trying & want to win have to be livid about the players who aren't & the coaches who aren't helping. I would imagine finger pointing and subtle or anonymous comments are about to start surfacing as people try to save themselves.

If we had any good options to replace them, JG & Linehan should have been fired on the flight back last night. A big statement like that might light a fire under the players.

Ah a heat seeking missile launched...take out the tracking station and then the launcher.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Looking back at the off season in the entireity, the moves made and not made, it does have the looks of a team intentionally tanking the season. I think they really don't think Dak was going to be the franchise QB. We made moves to cut payroll and position ourselves for next off season and not necessarily improve this current roster. If they thought Dak was a franchise QB, would this be the type skill players, WR/TE you would want to surround him with? If you have a 3rd yr QB, wouldn't you have a vet backup instead of a 2nd yr and rookie behind him? Wouldn't you want to at least have a vet ex-QB to help mentor a young QB? The new WR Coach doesn't have a previous history of working with or really help elevate a WR corps. Wouldn't you want to have at least one bonafide playmaker at WR/TE if you were serious that the QB was going to lead the franchise? The struggles were evident at the end of last season, at best the moves we made were cheap lateral moves, not upgrades.

Look at the play calling. We have a ton of money and draft picks tied up in the running game, three 1st rd OL, a 2nd rd and another that would have been a 1st rd but for pre-draft circumstances and a top 5 pick at RB. We inexplicably get away from our strength from running the ball too quickly and go pass heavy in games with a 4th rd QB, 3rd rd rook and a cast of WR/TE that could be picked up for a couple ham sandwiches. When we do find plays that work, we stop running those plays or stop running similar plays.

It looks like this was a way to move on from Dak and position ourselves for next year. If Dak somehow excelled this season, it would prove he really was a franchise QB moving forward. More than likely, he would struggle and make it easier to move on and label that rookie season a fluke and make upgrades next season. Our rook WR/TE would have time to mature, our rook LG time to gain experience and bulk up, we'd be in better position to make moves in finding our franchise QB and playmaker at WR or TE. This season looks like it was about positioning ourselves for next season and not winning this season.

I agree with your premise, RT, but I doubt the FO has that much intelligence or foresight. Also, while Steve-o might be arrogant enough to pull those kinds of tactics, I can't believe JJ's ego would allow that kind of premeditated tanking.

Either way, I'm ready for some major changes.