Did the Justin Rogers enthusiasm hit a wall?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Through pretty much all of training camp, there were a lot of positive vibes flowing, and at minimum, I think it's fair to say most of us anticipated that Rogers would be getting a real chance to contribute this season.

Can't blame the kid for looking elsewhere. It's fine for the team to deal for Phillips. But then, you run out and make a last minute deal for a 36 year-old 1-tech who has barely contributed anything in two seasons to his teams?

Clearly, those vibes were just window dressing.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Through pretty much all of training camp, there were a lot of positive vibes flowing, and at minimum, I think it's fair to say most of us anticipated that Rogers would be getting a real chance to contribute this season.
I did. Expose players and they can get snatched up. That is what the Cowboys did and they lost him.

*deep sigh*

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you have a coaching staff with one year contracts they are more focused on who can help them secure a new contract this year and not who can help the team under new coaches.

Some of the veterans they brought/bring in may be past their prime but they have at least proven they can do things rather than simply have potential to do them like young players provide.

I would rather see more rookies playing as well but it is hard to blame them for going with veterans in a make-or-break season for their jobs.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I did. Expose players and they can get snatched up. That is what the Cowboys did and they lost him.

*deep sigh*
Someone else mentioned a comment like this to me, this is what happens, they get snatched up!! It is what it is, it's a numbers game, and unfortunately we have a lot of DT's here now

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
When you have a coaching staff with one year contracts they are more focused on who can help them secure a new contract this year and not who can help the team under new coaches.

Some of the veterans they brought/bring in may be past their prime but they have at least proven they can do things rather than simply have potential to do them like young players provide.

I would rather see more rookies playing as well but it is hard to blame them for going with veterans in a make-or-break season for their jobs.
Good point

kskboys

Reaction score

Can't blame the kid for looking elsewhere. It's fine for the team to deal for Phillips. But then, you run out and make a last minute deal for a 36 year-old 1-tech who has barely contributed anything in two seasons to his teams?

Clearly, those vibes were just window dressing.
Was there a wall to hit?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This is exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with the NFL in August. I love that football is back, but the hype around below average players is a struggle. Last year it was the end of the world around here when we lost John Ridgeway who didn't make the team with Washington this year. Justin Rogers is a big bodied DT with mediocre measurables. His ceiling if he fully develops is a league average two down run defender. Now on one hand I dont see any reason why he wouldnt hit that ceiling, however on the other is his ceiling any different than what Phillips or Joseph are going to give you? As @Reality already mentioned a coaching staff on 1 year deals are probably going to go with the veteran players over the rookie, especially if the upside of the rookie isnt significantly more.

HungryLion

Reaction score
There was no reason to be enthusiastic about him to begin with lol

Some fans greatly overvalue draft picks. Particularly the late round ones.

Yes you hit on guys sometimes and the cowboys have found players that late. Bland being the most recent example.

But most of them end up being fringe roster guys at best. That’s just how the draft is for all teams.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
All the moves at DT over the past couple seasons have been to help cover Mazi’s ineffectiveness. If Mazi was a solid player, the team would have kept Rogers. But you can’t carry two project DT’s on the roster. I expect Mazi to be cut after the season a la Taco.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's the type of young, project type player you have to let go in order to keep the owner's pet QB pick who can't play.

John813

Reaction score
I'm just curious to know if Dallas even wanted to keep him on the P.S. and if so what was the offer? Min or max salary to entice him to stay.

I'm not ruing the loss of Rogers.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giving up on a promising DT is just dumb. We could always just cut Zeke and snatch him off Cincy PS if we want him back. ;)
How do we know he was promising?
Just because some fans said so because they do not like Mazi.
I never heard much of anything about him all offseason nor in TC.

Broaddus the big Mazi hater, talked him up only because of that. And that is why he is not a scout anymore.

He lasted until the 7th round for a reason.

kskboys

Reaction score
Justin Rogers = Reggie Robinson = Eric Scott. Same guys, just not good enough to be a solid contributor in the NFL.