Did the Justin Rogers enthusiasm hit a wall?

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Through pretty much all of training camp, there were a lot of positive vibes flowing, and at minimum, I think it's fair to say most of us anticipated that Rogers would be getting a real chance to contribute this season.

Can't blame the kid for looking elsewhere. It's fine for the team to deal for Phillips. But then, you run out and make a last minute deal for a 36 year-old 1-tech who has barely contributed anything in two seasons to his teams?

Clearly, those vibes were just window dressing.
i watched all preseason games and he was a great disrupter not sure why they let go.

gtb1943

Reaction score
IF he could have been a big trashcan full of dirt alone he would have been worth keeping. But I did not hear much about him at all; so it is what it is

blueblood70

Reaction score
When you have a coaching staff with one year contracts they are more focused on who can help them secure a new contract this year and not who can help the team under new coaches.

Some of the veterans they brought/bring in may be past their prime but they have at least proven they can do things rather than simply have potential to do them like young players provide.

I would rather see more rookies playing as well but it is hard to blame them for going with veterans in a make-or-break season for their jobs.
Yes :hammer: Moreso this year than in years past..

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm just curious to know if Dallas even wanted to keep him on the P.S. and if so what was the offer? Min or max salary to entice him to stay.

I'm not ruing the loss of Rogers.
Total assumption here, but he probably has a better chance to make the week 1 roster for Cincinnati. It sounds like a lot of people in Cincinnati think theyll end up cutting at least one of their current DTs before the season starts if they find an upgrade.

blueblood70

Reaction score
i watched all preseason games and he was a great disrupter not sure why they let go.
because they saw something better in the other players in win now team Vets over rooks. you know this was said about ridgeway and he hasn't really done anything. Let the pros make the decisions, we just watch.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with the NFL in August. I love that football is back, but the hype around below average players is a struggle. Last year it was the end of the world around here when we lost John Ridgeway who didn't make the team with Washington this year. Justin Rogers is a big bodied DT with mediocre measurables. His ceiling if he fully develops is a league average two down run defender. Now on one hand I dont see any reason why he wouldnt hit that ceiling, however on the other is his ceiling any different than what Phillips or Joseph are going to give you? As @Reality already mentioned a coaching staff on 1 year deals are probably going to go with the veteran players over the rookie, especially if the upside of the rookie isnt significantly more.
What are you talking about? That was 2 years ago. Plus, Ridgeway initially made the 53 man cut early this week with the Commanders, but as of yesterday, got traded to the Saints because the Saints want to use him more than just 31% of all defensive snaps the Commanders did last year.

https://www.benningtonbanner.com/sp...cle_9f12a8a4-2261-583e-bb6f-ba7e0dcc71f5.html

speedkilz88

Reaction score
What are you talking about? That was 2 years ago. Plus, Ridgeway initially made the 53 man cut early this week with the Commanders, but as of yesterday, got traded to the Saints because the Saints want to use him more than just 31% of all defensive snaps the Commanders did last year.

https://www.benningtonbanner.com/sp...cle_9f12a8a4-2261-583e-bb6f-ba7e0dcc71f5.html
31% is pretty impressive for a team that has Daron Payne starting and also had drafted Phidarian Mathis in the 2nd round in 2022.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
31% is pretty impressive for a team that has Daron Payne starting and also had drafted Phidarian Mathis in the 2nd round in 2022.
It sure is. Now that Ridgeway has been trades to the Saints where the Saints plan on playing him much more, Ridgeway is going to be able to build a better resume for himself.

Creeper

Reaction score
I watched all 3 off-season games multiple times with a focus on the DTs because to me this is the Cowboys biggest weakness, and has been for years. Last year, Hankins was better than Gallimore, but let's be honest, he was not what he used to be. Being better than the rest of the Cowboys DTs is not a high enough bar.

Watching Justin Rogers this year, and comparing him to Mazi last year, I thought Rogers was the better DT. Is he an impact player? No, of course not. But I think he was stronger in the middle clogging up the LOS than Mazi was. Of the 3 DTs, Rogers, Daxon and Huggins, I thought Rogers was the best. Then Daxon, then Huggins. Rogers was clearly better than Gallimore last year. I would have kept him on the roster for depth.

My issue now is Phillips is 31, Joseph is 35. Joseph playing in 15 games over the last 2 seasons. What does he have left for Dallas? Can he give them 10 plays per game? Will he miss time as he has the last 2 years? We have yet to see him play a down in 2024 yet everyone is counting on him to be the player he was in years past.

Phillips was put on IR twice in 2020, and again in 2021. He started the season on pup in 2023. In 2020 he tore a rotator cuff but played the last few games of the year with the injury. In other words, his last 4 years he has been unreliable. Now the Cowboys are depending on Joseph and Phillips to be their DT rotation with Mazi and Osa. Osa is a legitimate player. Mazi has yet to prove he can play at a high level. If this DT rotation inspires confidence in you, I would love to hear why.

Again, I am not saying Rogers is a future star, but he appeared to be good enough as a stopgap in the event Joseph can't give more than 10 players a game, or if he gets hurt again. Same with Phillips. And then there is the question of Mazi. Skimping at DT is a mistake.

HungryLion

Reaction score
All the moves at DT over the past couple seasons have been to help cover Mazi’s ineffectiveness. If Mazi was a solid player, the team would have kept Rogers. But you can’t carry two project DT’s on the roster. I expect Mazi to be cut after the season a la Taco.

Rogers wasn’t selected to cover up for Mazi’s issues. 7th round picks are just throwing **** st
The wall to see who sticks.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

Sorry it was two years ago, my bad. Regardless the guy is now on his 3rd team in as many years and washington let him go for a late round pick swap. They clearly didn't value him all that much and 30 other teams could have had him for just a 6th round pick. He's now a rotational piece on one of the worst DT units in the game. He's a JAG whose only real value is that he has two years of a late round rookie contract that teams can pay him less than vet minimum. He isnt really anything more than organizational depth for a team and is someone we should not be upset that he got away.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Playing 31% of snaps and doing nothing on a terrible defense is not impressive. That's basically what Neville Gallimore did.

The love affair with this guy is ridiculous lol

gtb1943

Reaction score
I dug around to see what I could find on Rogers in camp and there was not a lot. But what there was said he clogged the middle real well.
Bluntly speaking do we have anyone now that can do it? the old guys probably can but how long will they last? How many snaps a game can you get from them?
This FO is obsessed about pass rush from everyone; has not figured out that sometimes you need that trashcan full of dirt.

Aven8

Reaction score
How do we know he was promising?
Just because some fans said so because they do not like Mazi.
I never heard much of anything about him all offseason nor in TC.

Broaddus the big Mazi hater, talked him up only because of that. And that is why he is not a scout anymore.

He lasted until the 7th round for a reason.
I watched the games and noticed him a lot. He wasn’t all world but he wasn’t bad either. DT’s don’t grow on trees

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with the NFL in August. I love that football is back, but the hype around below average players is a struggle. Last year it was the end of the world around here when we lost John Ridgeway who didn't make the team with Washington this year. Justin Rogers is a big bodied DT with mediocre measurables. His ceiling if he fully develops is a league average two down run defender. Now on one hand I dont see any reason why he wouldnt hit that ceiling, however on the other is his ceiling any different than what Phillips or Joseph are going to give you? As @Reality already mentioned a coaching staff on 1 year deals are probably going to go with the veteran players over the rookie, especially if the upside of the rookie isnt significantly more.
Grass is greener syndrome goes into effect. We think what we haven't seen is going to be better than what we have. I wouldn't have minded us keeping him to try to develop, but it's most likely his career is going to turn out similar to Quinton Bohanna's or Joey Ivie's or Jordan Carell's -- all late-round DTs who went on to do nothing of significance after being cut by Dallas.

We all think they are going to develop into Jay Ratliff, but the Ratliffs are the rarities you actually keep on the team.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Grass is greener syndrome goes into effect. We think what we haven't seen is going to be better than what we have. I wouldn't have minded us keeping him to try to develop, but it's most likely his career is going to turn out similar to Quinton Bohanna's or Joey Ivie's or Jordan Carell's -- all late-round DTs who went on to do nothing of significance after being cut by Dallas.

We all think they are going to develop into Jay Ratliff, but the Ratliffs are the rarities you actually keep on the team.
None of those guys are/were playing 31% on a defense. Ivie and Carrells careers are already done and Quinton Bohanna last I checked wasn't on a team.