Did the Justin Rogers enthusiasm hit a wall?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Justin Rogers = Reggie Robinson = Eric Scott. Same guys, just not good enough to be a solid contributor in the NFL.
It's hard to make an impact in the NFL as a seventh-round pick. Some do, which is why you keep swinging for the fences, but most do not. The last seventh-round pick we had who was more than just a roster filler was Noah Brown in 2017, and it's not like he turned into a star.

gimmesix

Reaction score
None of those guys are/were playing 31% on a defense. Ivie and Carrells careers are already done and Quinton Bohanna last I checked didn't even have a team.
Not sure I get your point in the first sentence. Ivie, Carrell and Bohanna got plenty of snaps on defense in the preseason when they were here, just like Rogers.

The second sentence is my point. Their careers turned out to be a bunch of nothing, which is most likely what will happen with Rogers. Now, we've had some players we waived go on to have decent careers, but it's few and far between.

I think Sean Lissemore in 2010 is the last seventh-round DT we drafted who had any kind of impact, and of course, we didn't cut him as a rookie.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we will go how the interior dline and oline go,PERIOD. We better hope and pray its fixed or it will be a long year. Football at all levels is won and lost in the trenches. If the interior dline is suss, nothing will matter when we play great teams that are very physical. We will be tested week 1. By the bye week, we will have a great feel for the kind of team we have and what we will be. Do we think a 36 year old DT is the fix ? Color me skeptical.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Chauncy Golston DE 6 5 268

Linval Joseph DT 6 4 328

Marshawn Kneeland DE 6 3 268

DeMarcus Lawrence DE 6 3 265

Al-Quadim Muhammid DE 6 3 250

Osa Odighizuwa DT 6 2 280

Jordan Phillips DT 6 6 330

Mazi Smith DT 6 3 337

Tyrus Wheat DE 6 2 260

Denzel Daxon DT 6 2 304

Phil Hoskins DT 6 5 280

Carl Lawson DE 6 2 260

Now where in salary cost and in current replacement value does he bump up into.

Size of defensive line was given preference in this and next season's development.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
When you have a coaching staff with one year contracts they are more focused on who can help them secure a new contract this year and not who can help the team under new coaches.

Some of the veterans they brought/bring in may be past their prime but they have at least proven they can do things rather than simply have potential to do them like young players provide.

I would rather see more rookies playing as well but it is hard to blame them for going with veterans in a make-or-break season for their jobs.
Great point Reality.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well if you are Zimmer you don't have time to reach and develop so eone you didn't draft so he can be what you need after you are gone. Zimmer needs guys who can step in and be effective now. Plus he already is forced to try and get something out of Mazi with only 1 camp to get it right.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Chauncy Golston DE 6 5 268

Linval Joseph DT 6 4 328

Marshawn Kneeland DE 6 3 268

DeMarcus Lawrence DE 6 3 265

Al-Quadim Muhammid DE 6 3 250

Osa Odighizuwa DT 6 2 280

Jordan Phillips DT 6 6 330

Mazi Smith DT 6 3 337

Tyrus Wheat DE 6 2 260

Denzel Daxon DT 6 2 304

Phil Hoskins DT 6 5 280

Carl Lawson DE 6 2 260

Now where in salary cost and in current replacement value does he bump up into.

Size of defensive line was given preference in this and next season's development.
I thought I read that Hoskins was in the 315 range.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It’s all just noise. None of these guys are sniffing a Pro Bowl. The hope is they can cobble together a somewhat decent interior defense. Meanwhile they are trying to figure out how to pay a podcaster that plays well through November.

rambo2

Reaction score
Through pretty much all of training camp, there were a lot of positive vibes flowing, and at minimum, I think it's fair to say most of us anticipated that Rogers would be getting a real chance to contribute this season.

Can't blame the kid for looking elsewhere. It's fine for the team to deal for Phillips. But then, you run out and make a last minute deal for a 36 year-old 1-tech who has barely contributed anything in two seasons to his teams?

Clearly, those vibes were just window dressing.
I think that he should have made the 53.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Through pretty much all of training camp, there were a lot of positive vibes flowing, and at minimum, I think it's fair to say most of us anticipated that Rogers would be getting a real chance to contribute this season.Can't blame the kid for looking elsewhere. It's fine for the team to deal for Phillips. But then, you run out and make a last minute deal for a 36 year-old 1-tech who has barely contributed anything in two seasons to his teams?

Clearly, those vibes were just window dressing.
And just what do they expect to get out that 36 yr old 1 Tech that hasn't contributed squat that would be worth so much more than Rogers could've contributed?
Just another stupid Cowboy thing. :facepalm:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Rogers wasn’t selected to cover up for Mazi’s issues. 7th round picks are just throwing **** st
The wall to see who sticks.
And so a 35-36 yr old over the hill guy is gonna be better?
Hey I'm not a pro football scout, but what I saw of Rogers looked and sounded better than a 36 yr old Jag.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Idk does my post say that?
No it doesn't, that's why I'm asking and not telling. Like I said, I'm no pro scout so I might be wrong, just not sure but what a 36 yr old over the hill guy won't be like throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks as well.
Whatever be the case, all we can do now is hope it works out for the best because we're stuck with it now.

HungryLion

Reaction score
No it doesn't, that's why I'm asking and not telling. Like I said, I'm no pro scout so I might be wrong, just not sure but what a 36 yr old over the hill guy won't be like throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks as well.
Whatever be the case, all we can do now is hope it works out for the best because we're stuck with it now.

Well my post is about how being enthusiastic about a 7th round pick is a fools errand to begin with because most of them never amount to anything and are out of the league quickly.

That doesn’t really have anything to do with the older DT’s they signed.

That being said I will answer your off topic question.

Signing and trading for the older guys is also throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks. It’s how the FO does free agency. They dumpster dive and hope to find the rare gem that somebody threw away by accident.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This are the 1 and 2 string at DT:

Smith, Phillips, Odighizuwa, and Joseph are now the primary DTs on the active roster.

kskboys

Reaction score
And so a 35-36 yr old over the hill guy is gonna be better?
Hey I'm not a pro football scout, but what I saw of Rogers looked and sounded better than a 36 yr old Jag.
I thought he looked slow and inconsequential. However, I didn't pay a lot of attention as I never thought much of him to begin w/.

Chasing6

Reaction score
When you have a coaching staff with one year contracts they are more focused on who can help them secure a new contract this year and not who can help the team under new coaches.

Some of the veterans they brought/bring in may be past their prime but they have at least proven they can do things rather than simply have potential to do them like young players provide.

I would rather see more rookies playing as well but it is hard to blame them for going with veterans in a make-or-break season for their jobs.
So with these new 1 year vets we have added what is the new total for players playing on a 1 year deal?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So with these new 1 year vets we have added what is the new total for players playing on a 1 year deal?
I really have no idea, but my guess is that most of the veterans they signed after training camp started signed low-end deals, so they are likely easy to release after this season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I really have no idea, but my guess is that most of the veterans they signed after training camp started signed low-end deals, so they are likely easy to release after this season.
I counted 24. For some reason I thought it was higher than that.

gimmesix

Reaction score
And just what do they expect to get out that 36 yr old 1 Tech that hasn't contributed squat that would be worth so much more than Rogers could've contributed?
Just another stupid Cowboy thing. :facepalm:
Zimmer had Joseph with him in Minnesota, and he was pretty good at clogging the middle. Obviously, Zimmer thinks he can help here. (Of note, even though he did not play that much for Philly in 2022, he did recover a key fumble in the NFC Championship Game, hurting Brock Purdy in the process.)

“Plays a big role,” Joseph said. “I mean, I know Zimmer, I know this defense, and I'm glad to be a part of this defense again because I played six years there in his defense, and it really helped my development of my game.”