Did the offense improve from Kellen Moore?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Yes. What we needed was an offense that completely shuts down against top defenses. Good point.

Was that a function of the offense being called, or a function of personnel? Losing Zeke Elliott severely affected both Red Zone offense, and the toughness of the offensive team. The injuries on the offensive line, and the regression of Terence Steele coming off his knee injury didn't help either.

Both play callers are proven commodities in the NFL, IMAO.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Kellen Moore was fired from the chargers for a reason. Good OCs aren't on their 3rd team in 3 years. Sorry he sucks stop defending bad coaches.
That utter BS. Moore wasn't fired, so much as released from his contract once Harbaugh was hired. It took only a day for the Eagles to scoop him up, and he'll be a huge improvement over their OC from last season.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did the offense improve-Yes and some areas significantly

While looking at the numbers a interesting pair of stats jumps out at me, red zone scoring attempts (thats attempts not scores) under McCarthy in 2023 we were #1 under Moore in 2022 we were #11.
Red zone scoring also stands out to me under Moore in 2022 we were #1 Under McCarthy in 2023 we dropped to #12
If we would have had red zone scoring offense similar to KM in 2022, we might very well be watching our team this weekend against the KC?

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
That utter BS. Moore wasn't fired, so much as released from his contract once Harbaugh was hired. It took only a day for the Eagles to scoop him up, and he'll be a huge improvement over their OC from last season.
Lol released from contract is fired stop trying to make it sounds better.

Zman5

Reaction score
I guess we are going to just pretend all the INTS caused by bad route combos didn't happen in 2022 under KM.

You'll see same thing happen but worse with Hurts next season when he has to work with KM's option routes.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess we are going to just pretend all the INTS caused by bad route combos didn't happen in 2022 under KM.

You'll see same thing happen but worse with Hurts next season when he has to work with KM's option routes.
That was a big one that jumped out at me also while looking at the stats-passing yards in 2023 Dallas #1 in 2022 under Moore #13 along with Dak's completion percentage from 18th in 2022 under moore to #1 under McCarthy. I cant say that all of that was bad route running though Dak looked terrible at times in 2022. IMO

Aven8

Reaction score
It's called a discussion. Numbers were presented showing no improvement, in fact, regression vs the better teams/defenses.
Do you have something to say about that or just mock the messenger?
I was the first responder in the thread. I said my peace.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's called a discussion. Numbers were presented showing no improvement, in fact, regression vs the better teams/defenses.
Do you have something to say about that or just mock the messenger?
What it's called is cherry picking.

What if I use just Ceedee stats to show we greatly improved?

Using just "against good teams"...same deal.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
100 percent it improved.

The real question is. How did Moore look with his scheme and a litany of stars in LA including a real franchise QB?
I'm wondering if Herbert isn't today's Marino. Tons of talent, lots of weapons, can't win when it matters.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
We can make this now about did they improve, which I think they did but the immediate reaction from many and most here was how the offense would take such a big step back - which didn’t happen.

We were also told what success kellen would have with a “real qb” now.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
"Improved" is an interesting question. The new dumbed down offense is better for Dak, so in that sense yes. Overall, relative to the rest of the league, I'll say NO.

Dallas went from a more sophisticated offense that Dak struggled with (league leading interceptions), to a simpler offense that Dak could run and understand. Unfortunately, the the better opposing defenses could also understand it! Dallas could do little against the better teams and defenses at the end of last season. Ultimately no meaningful improvement, and the common denominator is obvious.

Dallas's offense under Moore was second in the entire NFL in points per game, only surpassed by the Chiefs. It's silly to think that was somehow a problem!
"Scapegoat" is correct.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
The inability to not be able to run the football is why. The offensive line is awful at run blocking. And the backs are pretty spare.
Good point, I guess it is the OL blocking scheme or OL players or a combo of it more than lack of bruising backs , there were not many holes opened

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Didn't look much different to me when it mattered. I guess we destroyed the scrubs of the league better though. Made us feel better for awhile.