News: Did this deal set the bar for Schultz?

J12B

Reaction score

Adreme

Reaction score
I mean pretty much everyone in the NFL was saying that on the open market Schultz would get 12-13m easily this year and obviously he will get more than that next year because that is how NFL contracts work. I know people here think that he is not worth it but that is the going rate for him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I think the WR deals will impact Schultz more than Djoku’s. Djoku got a reduced rate for his reduced production. There’s talk that Kelce at 15m$ annually is criminally underpaid. We could be seeing TE’s at 17, 18, 20m+

CWR

Reaction score
I think the WR deals will impact Schultz more than Djoku’s. Djoku got a reduced rate for his reduced production. There’s talk that Kelce at 15m$ annually is criminally underpaid. We could be seeing TE’s at 17, 18, 20m+

I still maintain Schultz had a perfect storm go in his favor. He had an offense which demanded defenses be accountable for Coop and Lamb, AND a qb who checked down a lot. I won't bother with a line vs coordinator vs qb debate. The net result was Schultz being filtered the ball on a silver platter.

Credit to him for finding soft spots in the defense and making the most out of his opportunities.

If he is true to his word and puts in the time and effort becoming a better blocker he will likely demand big money. I expect some regression on his numbers, but he can make up for that by being a good blocker.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I mean pretty much everyone in the NFL was saying that on the open market Schultz would get 12-13m easily this year and obviously he will get more than that next year because that is how NFL contracts work. I know people here think that he is not worth it but that is the going rate for him.

It is, which is why it was a good idea to wait IMO. His blocking was subpar last year. If he fixes that and does as well as he did as a receiver, I don't mind Dallas paying him the going rate. Many on here act like it is their money or Dallas is paying more than everyone else (as I've said before, they are like my father-in-law who goes to the buffet and complains because they aren't asking 1980s prices for their food).

I just prefer to see if we need to upgrade the spot or even if Ferguson might be an upgrade before giving Schultz a long-term deal. If he's not great, then keep looking for great.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Schultz took advantage of his opportunity. If we can put our Cowboys fandom aside.. I’d say he’s worth $11-$14mil a year based on the open market. At this point of his young career, his potential alone increases his value. If he was on a team that concentrated on “Receiving TE’s” rather than the dual (blocking) TEs Dallas deploys.. he could very well be a focal point in an offense.

So good for him. He truely changed the poor opinions of him. That’s said, Dallas prob won’t pay that unless Schultz transcends to another level this year. He would have to make bigger plays and take over games for the cost to be worth it on this team. I can’t see that happening. Personally, I believe Schultz is a solid TE that took advantage of being on an offense that has multiple receiving threats. He’s not a game changing player, but he’s definitely worthy of a modest multi year contract.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-te-david-njoku-agree-to-four-year-56-million-contract-extension

David Njoku 4 years for $56.75 million ($28 million guaranteed)

Last year Njoku caught 36 passes for 475 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Meanwhile Schultz caught 78 passes for 808 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Schultz could command 60 million and 32 million guaranteed for 4 years.

I'm betting no extension will happen and this will be Schultz's final year in Dallas.

In the words of the beloved Benny Rogers, you got to know when to hold them and when to unload them.
I like this Schultz chap but he's nothing special ... here. He goes to say, KC (he and Kelcy could be toxic!) or Green Bay or Aridzona where there is imagination, the lad could be special. But not here.

Praxit

Reaction score
..Shultz better take the money and run. TE's are dime a dozen. He had good year, Jaws fell off, Sprinkles was never on the cake and so forth.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Draft the TE from Notre Dame.

He's the real deal.......

Loso86

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-te-david-njoku-agree-to-four-year-56-million-contract-extension

I'm betting no extension will happen and this will be Schultz's final year in Dallas.
It shouldn't he's not as good

Adreme

Reaction score
It is, which is why it was a good idea to wait IMO. His blocking was subpar last year. If he fixes that and does as well as he did as a receiver, I don't mind Dallas paying him the going rate. Many on here act like it is their money or Dallas is paying more than everyone else (as I've said before, they are like my father-in-law who goes to the buffet and complains because they aren't asking 1980s prices for their food).

I just prefer to see if we need to upgrade the spot or even if Ferguson might be an upgrade before giving Schultz a long-term deal. If he's not great, then keep looking for great.

Realistically if you paying a TE big money it is not to block. The best blocking TEs are sort of cheap. The Ravens are a hilariously good example of this. They are Mark Andrews 13m (something like that) and their premier blocking TE 5m.

jrumann59

Reaction score

That and Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry's contracts from last year they both got about 12m AAV.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

That is one awful contract. Might be the worst in the NFL right now. Njoku isnt even a starting caliber TE