News: Did this deal set the bar for Schultz?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If he becomes an all around TE I won't be so critical about his limited tool box. Hearing that he is working on his blocking this off season is great news. He was a better blocker than pass catcher coming out of college, so I think he can get it back.
All around TEs are now in the lose to $20M range ..market has moved

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He's making 11M on the tag, they don't drop back from the tag amount.

They hope their draft pick might show some promise as a TE1.
I think that's the hope. They have to watch the cap over next couple of years as to decide to let Dak walk or extend him. So money has to be spent wisely. They are hoping either McKeon or new guy can be good enough so as to not have too much drop off in TE play ...so they hedged their bets. One year of franchise tag, if neither of the other guys work out then resign Schultz. If they show up then let Schultz walk

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can't find any breakdown details, but 4/57 with only 28 guaranteed tells me that 4th year carries a ridiculously high salary that he will never see.

That makes the AAV appear different than it really is. It's probably really 3/30-35.

Still, for 10-12m a year, I want a TE who can block. Doesn't matter what his name is.
The TE market has moved a good TE that can catch and block is at least 15M on low end and top ones are around $20M....and it's about to get much higher

Get used to a whole bunch of new numbers when cap goes up by about 20-25%

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Schultz is a bargain on the franchise tag this year, but yes any long term deal looks like it will cost atleast David's contract dependent on production this year.

The bottom line is all player contracts have really swelled and what we thought was reasonable 4 years ago is an insulting offer today. Good TEs cost north of 12 million a year and that's what Schultz is. Replacing good players with cheap mid to late round draft picks often always work out.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No one acts like it's their money. The only concern is fitting a quality team under the cap. Overpaying players keeps you from doing that.

If you say so. Some certainly seem to get outraged without even understanding how the deal breaks down to fit under the cap. They also overreact to what the market is paying. The market is the market. Dallas doesn't set that. It is the going rate. It may seem outrageous to us, but so does the price of gas. Yet you still have to pay it. Overpaying players is generally a myth. You pay them what the market says they are worth, even if it seems like too much to us fans. Sometimes they don't prove to be worth their market value, but that's the risk you take.

The Joneses haven't been willing to take that risk with outside free agents for years now and don't want to pay the market prices except to players who are already on the team. That's been working out just great for us.

Fans should worry less about the cap than they do, since each year they are baffled by how teams that seem to be up against it manipulate it to add high-priced free agents. It isn't deals like the one we gave Prescott that keep us from adding high-quality FAs, it's the Joneses' strategy. That's the only thing that really should concern us.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Schultz is a bargain on the franchise tag this year, but yes any long term deal looks like it will cost atleast David's contract dependent on production this year.

The bottom line is all player contracts have really swelled and what we thought was reasonable 4 years ago is an insulting offer today. Good TEs cost north of 12 million a year and that's what Schultz is. Replacing good players with cheap mid to late round draft picks often always work out.

Hoping this was sarcasm. Since there's less than a 50 percent hit rate with cheap mid- to late-round draft picks.

fivetwos

Reaction score
For a minute.....put aside catch stats or inability to run block, and consider.....

It's not THAT difficult to find a decent starting TE in this league. You don't need to spend a high pick to do it, nor should you pay them big money.

If they are a true elite difference maker (Kittle, Kelce), then ok.....but Schultz isn't that and I think his biggest supporters would agree.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I’m expecting us to go back to the well again next year for a TE

I think it will depend on how Schultz and Ferguson do. If Ferguson looks like he can replace Schultz, then we likely let Schultz leave in FA and need to draft another TE. If Schultz does better as a blocker than he did and continues to be solid as a receiver, and Ferguson looks like a backup, then we probably pay Schultz and go with them next year. If Schultz blocks as poorly as he did last year or regresses as a receiver, then we address the position no matter how Ferguson does, although how Ferguson plays will determine how early we address the position.

We could add a third TE anyway, but if Schultz plays better and Ferguson looks like at least a No. 2 TE, it will be far down the list of players we need.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The hesitancy to re-sign Schultz long-term is understandable. While he put up top-10 numbers playing TE1 in Dallas, he doesn’t exactly look like a top-10 talent on the field. The Jones' weren’t eager to throw $11-$14 million annually on someone they thought could be replaceable.

If Ferguson continues to impress, the Jones' stand to save millions on a possible Schultz contract. Would love to see this take place.

blueblood70

Reaction score
For a minute.....put aside catch stats or inability to run block, and consider.....

It's not THAT difficult to find a decent starting TE in this league. You don't need to spend a high pick to do it, nor should you pay them big money.

If they are a true elite difference maker (Kittle, Kelce), then ok.....but Schultz isn't that and I think his biggest supporters would agree.
if that were true why did the browns overpay this TE??....hes inconsistent and unproven and got market deal.its so easy to find a TE why pay him?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Hoping this was sarcasm. Since there's less than a 50 percent hit rate with cheap mid- to late-round draft picks.

Sarcasm indeed, I always get amusement as we talk about player busts in later rounds or immediately think they can replace another starter with mid to late round picks. If everyone thought they were that good they would have went much earlier.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The hesitancy to re-sign Schultz long-term is understandable. While he put up top-10 numbers playing TE1 in Dallas, he doesn’t exactly look like a top-10 talent on the field. The Jones' weren’t eager to throw $11-$14 million annually on someone they thought could be replaceable.

If Ferguson continues to impress, the Jones' stand to save millions on a possible Schultz contract. Would love to see this take place.
he actually had top 5 numbers last year just because the eye test ie shear speed and athletic prowess shows you wow factor doesn't change production stats..its the same no matter how it looks ie Witten looked slowed and didn't have many big down the field plays but is going to the HOF nonetheless and that all that matters. Yes if the stats show it its true..its what payers are paid on ie stats = production..

being consistently productive is al that matter not the big play ability's at TE..

gimmesix

Reaction score

First, you keep looking for difference makers if you don't have one. Second, what do you consider a decent starting tight end?

In 2020, for example, there were 11 tight ends drafted. Cole Kmet in the early second round had 28 receptions for 287 yards and 2 TDs his first year and 60 for 612 and 0 TDs his second. David Asiasi, taken in the third round, has had 2 catches for 39 yards in two seasons. Josiah Deguara, also taken in the third round, has had 21 catches for 257 yards and 2 TDs in two years. Dalton Keene (third) has had two catches for 16 yards. Adam Trautman (third) has had 42 receptions for 434 yards and 3 TDs. Harrison Bryant (fourth) has 45-471-6. Albert Okwuengbunam (fourth round) has 44-451-3. Colby Parkinson (fourth) has 7-49. Brycen Hopkins (fourth) has 1-9. Charlie Woerner (sixth) has 8-88. Tyler Davis (sixth) has 4-35. Stephen Sullivan (seventh) has nothing.

If Schultz is the baseline for a decent starting TE, his 78-808-8 last year is better than any of these TEs except Kmet has had in their first two years combined. Now, maybe I should have picked an earlier year because Schultz didn't have much to show after his first year. But even allowing some leeway for that, you'd have to say five out of 11 are looking right now like they might become decent starting TEs. That's a 45.5 percent hit rate.