News: Did this deal set the bar for Schultz?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-te-david-njoku-agree-to-four-year-56-million-contract-extension

David Njoku 4 years for $56.75 million ($28 million guaranteed)

Last year Njoku caught 36 passes for 475 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Meanwhile Schultz caught 78 passes for 808 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Schultz could command 60 million and 32 million guaranteed for 4 years.

I'm betting no extension will happen and this will be Schultz's final year in Dallas.
I think you are right.
We can't pay that kinda money for a TE that can't block.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-te-david-njoku-agree-to-four-year-56-million-contract-extension

David Njoku 4 years for $56.75 million ($28 million guaranteed)

Last year Njoku caught 36 passes for 475 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Meanwhile Schultz caught 78 passes for 808 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Schultz could command 60 million and 32 million guaranteed for 4 years.

I'm betting no extension will happen and this will be Schultz's final year in Dallas.
No he can’t. Njoku blocks. Just stop.

CWR

Reaction score
It is, which is why it was a good idea to wait IMO. His blocking was subpar last year. If he fixes that and does as well as he did as a receiver, I don't mind Dallas paying him the going rate. Many on here act like it is their money or Dallas is paying more than everyone else (as I've said before, they are like my father-in-law who goes to the buffet and complains because they aren't asking 1980s prices for their food).

I just prefer to see if we need to upgrade the spot or even if Ferguson might be an upgrade before giving Schultz a long-term deal. If he's not great, then keep looking for great.

If he becomes an all around TE I won't be so critical about his limited tool box. Hearing that he is working on his blocking this off season is great news. He was a better blocker than pass catcher coming out of college, so I think he can get it back.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I still maintain Schultz had a perfect storm go in his favor. He had an offense which demanded defenses be accountable for Coop and Lamb, AND a qb who checked down a lot. I won't bother with a line vs coordinator vs qb debate. The net result was Schultz being filtered the ball on a silver platter.

Credit to him for finding soft spots in the defense and making the most out of his opportunities.

If he is true to his word and puts in the time and effort becoming a better blocker he will likely demand big money. I expect some regression on his numbers, but he can make up for that by being a good blocker.

This. Franchise money to what, the 4th biggest offensive threat on the field? 5th?

People always overestimate the value of downroster receivers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I can't find any breakdown details, but 4/57 with only 28 guaranteed tells me that 4th year carries a ridiculously high salary that he will never see.

That makes the AAV appear different than it really is. It's probably really 3/30-35.

Still, for 10-12m a year, I want a TE who can block. Doesn't matter what his name is.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I still maintain Schultz had a perfect storm go in his favor. He had an offense which demanded defenses be accountable for Coop and Lamb, AND a qb who checked down a lot. I won't bother with a line vs coordinator vs qb debate. The net result was Schultz being filtered the ball on a silver platter.

Credit to him for finding soft spots in the defense and making the most out of his opportunities.

If he is true to his word and puts in the time and effort becoming a better blocker he will likely demand big money. I expect some regression on his numbers, but he can make up for that by being a good blocker.
Maintain all you want , this will be proven out this year but Daltons improved EVEY season hes been here..

if he even matches last years production, how is it hes not worth what other TEs in the same area of production doesn't deserve, what your eye tests is saying that hes a jag who got lucky LMAO..our other TEs of late haven't seem to get this benefit but Dalton somehow taking advantage of it is a negative how? I guess Kelce is lucky not great right i mean he had a loaded offense and play caller superior to ours so hes not good just lucky to get targets because of the rest of Kcs offense taking converges..lol

you tag player because he sems to be on the verge but not convinced , if he comes anywhere close to last years production why shouldn't the cowboys pay him??

blueblood70

Reaction score
This. Franchise money to what, the 4th biggest offensive threat on the field? 5th?

People always overestimate the value of downroster receivers.
he actually was more like 2 or 3 as a target his reproduction was nearly the same as ACs last year,..i mean thats not luck , sorry you are undervaluing players because you don't like them..10-12 mil for your 3rd option when your first is 22-30 now for 1st tier WRs..seems right inline of what a player like Dalton should get paid..its chump change compared to some of these other deals around the league for pass catchers..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean pretty much everyone in the NFL was saying that on the open market Schultz would get 12-13m easily this year and obviously he will get more than that next year because that is how NFL contracts work. I know people here think that he is not worth it but that is the going rate for him.
He's making 11M on the tag, they don't drop back from the tag amount.

They hope their draft pick might show some promise as a TE1.

kskboys

Reaction score
It is, which is why it was a good idea to wait IMO. His blocking was subpar last year. If he fixes that and does as well as he did as a receiver, I don't mind Dallas paying him the going rate. Many on here act like it is their money or Dallas is paying more than everyone else (as I've said before, they are like my father-in-law who goes to the buffet and complains because they aren't asking 1980s prices for their food).

I just prefer to see if we need to upgrade the spot or even if Ferguson might be an upgrade before giving Schultz a long-term deal. If he's not great, then keep looking for great.
No one acts like it's their money. The only concern is fitting a quality team under the cap. Overpaying players keeps you from doing that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Njoku is a beast, he just didn’t have a QB
thats a lame arse excuse. ive seen truly elite beat like players no matter who their qb was put up numbers of guys like Dhop and even wfts wr Mcluren, Fitzgerald, how about Cooks in Houston, who was that qb last season, out up a nice year?? i mean whose been their qb and numbers still high..it happens the great ones just show up no matter the qb...Megatron, barry sanders etc made HOF career playing on a bad team..

dudes numbers are who he is up to this point..lmao the bar for other players and their excuses for non cowboys are over the top yet most here downgrade and rip our own..Daltons a better TE, his numbers say it..who cares about athleticism ie Beast mode,

Witten never needed if. Players sometimes are just football players.
browns have overpaid everyone this off season and not by little,

Watsons not worth a fully guaranteed 230mil deal not even close oh wait hes not Dak he gets excuses because of the team he was on.. AC lmao good luck with that..that CB seriously, now the TE..they have somehow went out and decided to try and make waves to keep the dramas off the Watson signing more tolerable. Throw money at it..

Browns being lauded for overpaying while guys like Dalton earned his Tag money up to this point and our fans wans to run him out..

Jfconrow

Reaction score
thats a lame arse excuse. ive seen truly elite beat like players no matter who their qb was put up numbers of guys like Dhop and even wfts wr Mcluren, Fitzgerald, how about Cooks in Houston, who was that qb last season, out up a nice year?? i mean whose been their qb and numbers still high..it happens the great ones just show up no matter the qb...Megatron, barry sanders etc made HOF career playing on a bad team..

dudes numbers are who he is up to this point..lmao the bar for other players and their excuses for non cowboys are over the top yet most here downgrade and rip our own..Daltons a better TE, his numbers say it..who cares about athleticism ie Beast mode,

Witten never needed if. Players sometimes are just football players.
browns have overpaid everyone this off season and not by little,

Watsons not worth a fully guaranteed 230mil deal not even close oh wait hes not Dak he gets excuses because of the team he was on.. AC lmao good luck with that..that CB seriously, now the TE..they have somehow went out and decided to try and make waves to keep the dramas off the Watson signing more tolerable. Throw money at it..

Browns being lauded for overpaying while guys like Dalton earned his Tag money up to this point and our fans wans to run him out..

I think Njoku was hurt as well. I’d rather have Njoku than Schultz.

conner01

Reaction score
Unless the rookie bombs, ain’t no way we are paying Schultz big money. We will probably give Zeke a another big extension instead…
I’m expecting us to go back to the well again next year for a TE

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think Njoku was hurt as well. I’d rather have Njoku than Schultz.
and this is why fans are fans NOT GMs..overpayimng for an injured underperforming athletic TE over a steady improving and productive TE seems normal to you LMAO>.good try you would deserve what you got for agreeing that thats a better move..lmao.

Cowboys fans in the zone rather have any player not on our roster as it appears a bias against our players sand coaches from our own fans is the new trend..

If jerry made that move like cut Dalton and signed Njoku to this deal hed be fried at the stake..thats the truth its what this place does, covet the other bad moves around the league and rip all the Jonses moves..