Did yesterday pierce the dome of arrogance and stubbornness?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because we all know Jerry. He's stubborn and arrogant.

My post is about what Jerry should do if he was shaken and woken up by yesterday's game.

Frankly, I am not even sure he'll even fire McCarthy.
I’m wondering what the possibility of him firing Mike and promoting Quinn…I don’t want that either but it feels possible.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Over the next few weeks, there will surely be quite a few posts where people argue if Jerry really wants to win. Some will act incredulous and say others are stupid for not thinking Jerry wants to win. It's a silly argument because technically both sides are right.

Jerry wants to win.......... as long as he gets credit for it. That was the root of Jimmy squabble. Jerry loathed the fact that Jimmy was getting the credit. If you go back to the ESPN short documentary on Jerry, at one point he says if he could be anything he'd be a football coach. Jerry craves being known as a football guy. He doesn't want to be known as just an owner. He wants to be known as a GM, a pure football dude. And from there, it's been Jerry's hubris, and arrogance, and stubbornness that has led us on a nearly 3 decade journey where we have found ourselves with the likes of the Lions and Commanders in terms of postseason futility in the NFC (and the Lions have a good chance of getting themselves off that list).

But did yesterday change anything? Did Jerry finally look down, seeing what he thought was his best team in years, get demolished change anything?

Likely not. But what Jerry should do is go hat in hand to Harbaugh. Find out what Harbaugh wants. Find out if Harbaugh thinks he can win with Dak. Find out what kind of control he would want. Swallow your pride and try to get that last SB (or two). Unfortunately, I suspect he won't and what you saw yesterday and last year and the year before that and even the Garrett years will be the best we will get.
Did you pick us to lose yesterday?
I didn't. I knew we had some issues but thought we would make it 2 rounds this year

I suspect that 90% of the best football minds in the country agreed with the Jones that they finally had a roster and coaching staff that could do some damage.

Mark

Reaction score
167 yds and stopping the run wasn't an issue.

Have you ever thought that our inability to stop the run was a big part of the reason those receivers were open? Goes both ways.
GB 33/143 4.3 YPC
DAL 25/123 4.9 YPC

Got to hand it to GB...they had a brilliant game plan.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I’m wondering what the possibility of him firing Mike and promoting Quinn…I don’t want that either but it feels possible.
It’s definitely possible. I think that’s been the fall back plan for awhile. But with his defense getting shredded against most teams with a pulse that plan may have changed. But with JJ it’s still possible

RS12

Reaction score

Did yesterday pierce the dome of arrogance and stubbornness?

You will need to ask the Jones family water carriers. They will be arriving when they are done sleeping one off.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s definitely possible. I think that’s been the fall back plan for awhile. But with his defense getting shredded against most teams with a pulse that plan may have changed. But with JJ it’s still possible
If Quinn wasn’t so bad yesterday I would say it was inevitable…

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was painfully obvious after the beatdown against SF the Cowboys fold in critical games. Once they get punched in the mouth and decked they quit.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think Harbaugh is the answer. He is not his brother.

I also don't think Jerry is going to make any quick decisions on his coaching staff.

But the question is rightfully asked, whoever coaches Dallas, is Dak part of the package? Must the new coach accept Dak as his QB? Let's say the answer is yes, then is McCarthy in the same situation? Has he been forced to accept Dak? If so, then why blame McCarthy if he has to play the cards he is dealt like any new coach would?

The situation is tricky for any new coach. If he wants to get rid of Dak, who is his replacement QB? If you say Rush or Lance, sit this one out. No new coach is going to step in and set himself up for failure like that. The problem is Dak is very serviceable as a regular season QB. McCarthy got him to 3 consecutive 12-5 seasons. Any new coach would take that simply because he doesn't want to take over a 12-5 team and finish 5-12 in his first year. And maybe his second too.

Unless the Cowboys decide to cut Dak and move on, which probably means several years of struggle, what HC would want that pile of garbage to deal with?

I think the Cowboys are stick with Dak for at least 1 more year. And if so, then they may as well stick with McCarthy too. I think the answer is the same as it was last year, build the running game so Dak is not as important to the offense. But a decision is coming fast for Jerry. He has to decide to extend Dak or move on. If the Cowboys had a top 5 draft pick maybe the decision would be easier, but they are drafting in the 20s again and it will require a bit of luck to find a franchise QB that late in the round. Even then most QBs fail in the NFL even those drafted in the 1st round.
I think the answer for this team lies with the defense. Offenses can get away with finesse and speed alone. Defenses can't. The Cowboys have to get more physical on defense. find a few pieces here and there fro the offense but focus on getting physical on the defensive front 7. Run the football and stop the run.

doomsday808

Reaction score
If Jerry doesn't step down as GM, then no. Doesn't matter who is coaching this team next year.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Did you pick us to lose yesterday?
I didn't. I knew we had some issues but thought we would make it 2 rounds this year

I suspect that 90% of the best football minds in the country agreed with the Jones that they finally had a roster and coaching staff that could do some damage.

The 10% of the Best football minds understood your vision as well as the other 90% was a joke when DAK is your QB of choice