Did you guys notice Roy Williams on nickle packages?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Roy Williams missing on the nickel packages?

Did Patrick Wadkins replace Roy on obvious passing downs?

I get so emotionally involved during the game that I started thinking about this on the way to work this morning.

If this is true, it could help us on 3rd down in pass defense because Watkins being so tall 6'5'' and faster then Roy.

What do you Zoners think?

Thanks......:cool:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I could have sworn I saw both of those guys on the field at the same time on numerous occasions.

I was going to ask about it because it looked like Roy was playing his LB spot during the game more then he previously had.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1682548 said:

I get so emotionally involved during the game that I started thinking about this on the way to work this morning.

If this is true, it could help us on 3rd down in pass defense because Watkins being so tall 6'5'' and faster then Roy.

It's Watkins. Though WadKings is good too. :lmao2:

I believe Roy Williams moves to LB sometimes in the nickel.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas is mixing things up on defense so you may have seen times when Watkins is back at the safety spot and Roy is brought up in the LB area

DTK

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw him. Didn't you see him fail to cover the middle of the zone on 3rd and 23 when Bulger hit Holt on that quick throw? It looked like that was his responsiblity there and he failed to cover it.

But overall, I thought he played a good game.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1682588 said:
Dallas is mixing things up on defense so you may have seen times when Watkins is back at the safety spot and Roy is brought up in the LB area

Yes, that is part of a package designed to keep James as far away from the field on passing situations as possible.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc;1682634 said:
Yes, that is part of a package designed to keep James as far away from the field on passing situations as possible.

I just see it as a way to get better production on nickle so that we have fewer mis-matches. As for James I think he is doing a good job thus far

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;1682587 said:
It's Watkins. Though WadKings is good too. :lmao2:

I believe Roy Williams moves to LB sometimes in the nickel.

I think CrazyCowboy's perverted side sneaked out on that one.:laugh2:

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
I didn't even notice Roy at all in the last game. Did he even make a tackle?

Kilyin

Reaction score
dangerdoom4124;1682756 said:

three total, two tackles and one assist.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's called a dime package.

Welcome to several months ago.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Kilyin;1682767 said:
three total, two tackles and one assist.

That means (for the most part) the linemen and linebackers (including Spears) are doing their job.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
DTK;1682593 said:
Yeah, I saw him. Didn't you see him fail to cover the middle of the zone on 3rd and 23 when Bulger hit Holt on that quick throw? It looked like that was his responsiblity there and he failed to cover it.

Wrong, that pass was against Burnett. Roy was lined up at the RIGHT nickel linebacker spot. Bruce (who caught the pass, not Holt) was lined up on the defense's LEFT side, in the slot. Burnett was the nickel linebacker on that side. Bruce ran the slant outside Burnett, who got there too late. Roy ran over from his spot on the other side of the defense and made a diving tackle, which might have saved a touchdown. Roy had nothing to do with covering Bruce on that play.

Nobody has really noticed, but Roy's coverage has been excellent ever since that touchdown pass to Burress in the season opener. In fact, on the play when Hamlin intercepted Bulger, the route/coverage on the other side was almost a carbon copy of the Burress TD -- except that Roy had the receiver blanketed.

JerryFan

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1682980 said:
Wrong, that pass was against Burnett. Roy was lined up at the RIGHT nickel linebacker spot. Bruce (who caught the pass, not Holt) was lined up on the defense's LEFT side, in the slot. Burnett was the nickel linebacker on that side. Bruce ran the slant outside Burnett, who got there too late. Roy ran over from his spot on the other side of the defense and made a diving tackle, which might have saved a touchdown. Roy had nothing to do with covering Bruce on that play.

Nobody has really noticed, but Roy's coverage has been excellent ever since that touchdown pass to Burress in the season opener. In fact, on the play when Hamlin intercepted Bulger, the route and coverage on the other side were almost carbon copies of the Burress TD -- except that Roy had the receiver blanketed.

I love Roy at LB in the nickel and Dime. It seems like it suits him perfect. Can't wait to see what those two units look like when we have Henry and Newman on the field at the same time. For whatever reason the NYFG seem to always torch us on O. Roy is playing solid ball and getting comfortable in a new role.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dangerdoom4124;1682756 said:
My wife asked me the same question and wondered if he was hurt.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1683032 said:
My wife asked me the same question and wondered if he was hurt.
You probably couldn't tell from the camera angle, but other than the dime packages, we played two deep safeties all game long.

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1682548 said:

No revelation here.

Watkins has always come in on 3rd down this year - James and Ayodele go out, Williams goes to LB and either Burnett or Carpenter join him.