Did you Notice what KaVontae Turpin Did?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sorry for the typo. In 13/23 touches Turpin generated a TD or a first down. LOL...just that.

Our QB's enjoyed a 126.6 passing rate when throwing to him, and he only averaged 10.0 yards per carry as rusher.

He's so small? Steve Jobs: "Think Different"
i believe he needs double the targets this year i agree underutilized, hes NOT injury prone let him PLAY!!

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
You've learned Turpin can be a special punt returner, but did you know this? C'mon just admit that you had no idea what this cat is about or what he has achieved! :p

-The dude weighs much less than Deuce and is in the discussion as the NFL lightest active player at 152 pounds

-In his limited role as WR....he had 12 catches...but in 3 of those he scored a TD (25% score rate)

-In just one second quarter reception he accounted for Dallas' only TD and 17% of Dak's passing yards vs 49ers

-As a runner he averaged 10 yards per carry, and not all those carries were jet sweeps! He lined up in the backfield at times.

-In 21 total offensive touches he scored 4 touchdowns and accounted for 9 first downs. 13/21 touches produced a score or a first down.
Anybody giving Jerry the GM credit for this find or is he only allowed to get blamed for stuff?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There are 3 types of folk I want to hear from in this thread--that is....if you aren't too afraid:
  • Those who say Cowboys never innovate (despite having both the shortest and perhaps lightest player on their roster)
  • Those who hate little guys on a football field
  • Cowboy haters in general--you know who you are.
I've felt like since we cut Gallup that he would be the one to get more snaps because he was effective with them when given the opportunity last year. Now, I don't think that means Tolbert won't get plenty of snaps. I just expect to see Turpin on the field more.

Rayman70

Reaction score
potential like his gets coaches fired. The dreaded P word. Its time he turns that into reality on game days. No doubt he has skills as a returner. Its time he shows more.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You've learned Turpin can be a special punt returner, but did you know this? C'mon just admit that you had no idea what this cat is about or what he has achieved! :p

-The dude weighs much less than Deuce and is in the discussion as the NFL lightest active player at 152 pounds

-In his limited role as WR....he had 12 catches...but in 3 of those he scored a TD (25% score rate)

-In just one second quarter reception he accounted for Dallas' only TD and 17% of Dak's passing yards vs 49ers

-As a runner he averaged 10 yards per carry, and not all those carries were jet sweeps! He lined up in the backfield at times.

-In 21 total offensive touches he scored 4 touchdowns and accounted for 9 first downs. 13/21 touches produced a score or a first down.
Turpin definitely showed that he is a playmaker of offense. I think the question that should be asked to asked is usuage. I definitely think he needs to be used more, but how often

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I thought he played really well at the end of last season as a WR and think he clearly needs more reps.

He made some tough catches in traffic for first downs showing he isn't just a speed guy.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No doubt he has mad skills
No doubt, he can be a factor.
No doubt if you use him too much, he will be hurt and gone.
Sorry, but that's the way it works.
Collision between 250lb and 150lb player equals dead 150lb player.
If this were true I'd be dead... I collided with dozens of 250 lb players when I was in high school and college and I weighed between 145 and 155 the whole time. Never once did I die from a collision. Hell I was never even injured from one.. The only time I ever got hurt playing football was when I was a 140 pound DB trying to fill a hole when a 220 pound RB was coming through.. Threw my shoulder into him with all I had and he used me for a speedbump. That one gave me a stinger that lasted the rest of the game. I decided at that moment that I was moving to offense. The only other injuries I ever experienced on a football field was having an idiot gunner fall into my knee AT PRACTICE when we were in shorts and helmets the day before a game. I still played the next day. All of this is to say if you are a little guy that knows how to avoid contact you simply don't get hurt. It's a skill smaller quicker guys develop at an early age. Turpin has been the little guy his whole life.. My guess is that he learned how to not get hit a long time ago. Which is why he is where he is.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Per touch, very effective. We should give him more touches.

Highest QB rating when targeted on the team - including CeeDee.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/receiving_advanced.htm

DallasInDC

Reaction score
There are 3 types of folk I want to hear from in this thread--that is....if you aren't too afraid:
  • Those who say Cowboys never innovate (despite having both the shortest and perhaps lightest player on their roster)
you forgot
  • Those who want to change this to a Dak thread.
:muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score
That is just part of Jerry's Circus Show. Have the smallest man, the tallest man, ugliest man etc.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's a heck of a player.
He is dangerous if he gets a "little" bigger role this season he can open eyes to the masses that he belongs. I like the little guys because in HS I played against a team with a rb duo that rotated and they were small backs and they were very hard to get ahold of and their quickness and change of direction was incredible. So Deuce and Turpin are my favorite underdogs based on what I experience in that one game back in the dinosaur days of my youth playing linebacker against a little slippery tandem of backs.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The problem with Turpin is that he needs to improve without the ball in his hands. I agree once it’s there he is a massive threat to the defense, but until it gets there he can be a liability for our offense.

Hes a guy who seems to have a limited route tree, struggles to hang onto the ball, and really doesnt offer much in terms of blocking. The other issue you run into is his best position is going to be in the slot, which is also where lamb typically lines up, and Cooks gets a lot of looks from as well. A WR down this roster is going to struggle to get playing time if they can't line up out wide.

I actually think the best position for him is lining up out of the backfield if Deuce doesn't step up. His type of speed out of the backfield really dictates what a defense can do. Cover 0 is risky because Turpin just has to make one guy miss on a swing pass to take it for a touchdown. They also need to worry about their personnel in the game you cant let the Cowboys match up Turpin with a backer man to man.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this were true I'd be dead... I collided with dozens of 250 lb players when I was in high school and college and I weighed between 145 and 155 the whole time. Never once did I die from a collision. Hell I was never even injured from one.. The only time I ever got hurt playing football was when I was a 140 pound DB trying to fill a hole when a 220 pound RB was coming through.. Threw my shoulder into him with all I had and he used me for a speedbump. That one gave me a stinger that lasted the rest of the game. I decided at that moment that I was moving to offense. The only other injuries I ever experienced on a football field was having an idiot gunner fall into my knee AT PRACTICE when we were in shorts and helmets the day before a game. I still played the next day. All of this is to say if you are a little guy that knows how to avoid contact you simply don't get hurt. It's a skill smaller quicker guys develop at an early age. Turpin has been the little guy his whole life.. My guess is that he learned how to not get hit a long time ago. Which is why he is where he is.
So....you're equating your school days to the pros?
I can't even go there.

Not rooting against the kid, it's just physics.